Bought a '71 TVR Vixen 2500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a '71 TVR Vixen 2500

Hey guys! I've been on this forum on & off over the past few years. Always wanted a TR6.

Funny thing happened on my way through the Internet......
    I bought a 1971 TVR Vixen 2500! :unsure:

Technically, I'm still part of the "6-Pack" crowd, right?? LOL.
    Should be, even more so now that I have my *first* LBC & it has "The Six"!

This car seems to be very original & solid. "Well sorted", but I'm sure I'm going to have questions & mysteries to solve over time.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-tvr-2500/

As always, all comments, question, suggestions are welcomed & appreciated.

Rick
    (Houston area)

Congrats on the purchase! I saw that one on BAT. Great car.

It has a TR6 Heart and systems, so enjoy it!
    1973 TR6 – BRG with beige interior, custom LED lighting
    Hardtop, OD, Rollbar, 15”Koenigs
    Bored, balanced and polished motor with PI cam, hi-comp head, triple DCOE's
    Header, custom exhaust, custom alternator, e-fan
    Lowered, poly suspension, Konis and rear anti roll-bar
    www.coventrysfinest.blogspot.com

Comment

Very nice car, enjoy it!

Do you plan to keep it as is, or tweak it a little?

I ask as given it's around 500-600lb lighter than a TR6, you'll feel any increases in torque/power to a greater extent than you would the TR6...
      Keith, Huntsville AL, 1971 TR6
      10.0:1 CR gasflowed head | Weber DCOEs | CP "150hp" Cam | Good Parts Ram-Air induction | Distibutor by Advanced | Lightened flywheel | PWM Fan Controller | Phoenix SS Exhaust System | HVDA 5-Speed | Good Parts R200B Diff and CV axles | Good Parts suspension and anti-roll bars | Wilwood Calipers and Vented Rotors | Good Parts Dual Brake Master Cylinder | Konig Rewinds | Boyd 15 gal tank | Miata Seats and Mr Mikes covers | Carl Visser dash | Mohair hood | Gas-strut bonnet and boot lift kits

Comment

Beautiful!
        Congrats and please DO keep posting with whatever you do with your new acquisition CapRic.
        CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
        2nd owner, since 1975
        Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

I'm a totally envious.
          SR
          73 TR6. HT/AC/OD
          86 930
          91 535i

Comment

That was a good purchase. It should never lose value.
            It looks real pretty, more unique than a TR6, yet parts are available.

It will be a tight fit, and the heat of the engine will heat the cockpit.
            After you have had enough of it, start checking out 911's.
            Walt
            CC80954U '72 TR6 original condition/sold 16.500.
            poolboy rebuilt the Z-S Carbs. Philstr6 rebuilt both rear hubs.

Comment

No real plans for it right nowuntil I get through this NJ to TX shipping ordeal.

Needs some cosmetic items like carpet & dash panel cleanup & I want to reinstall that heater (we do get down to freezing here in SE TX).

I kind of like to keep things bone-stock. But I see what you mean regarding more "bang for the buck" due to the already lighter vehicle weight.

I'd like to install a roll bar, since *something* has to fill that big rear window! Lol.

Comment

Congrats, I watched that one on BAT also, looks like fun. If you need some local Triumph help consider joining the Texas Triumph Register, I know there is at least one TVR in the club, as well as a couple of United non-pilot guys too. Your car is coming at just the right time for nice driving temps too.

Randy

Comment

Very nice!!!
                  1961 TR4 1966 TR4A
                  1968 TR250 1975 TR6
                  1979 Spitfire 1500

Comment

Love it!

Cheers
                    Tush
                    81 Triumph TR8,
                    70 Triumph TR6 PI CP52627O
                    73 Triumph TR6 CF4874UO, 68 Triumph TR250 CD5228LO
                    62 Triumph TR4 CT6716LO, 60 Triumph TR3A TS69891LO
                    60 Triumph TR3A TS64870LO, 59 Triumph TR3A TS44836LO
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/cheftush

Comment

Fiberglass aside, that isa TR6. Welcome to the pack, let's see what you do to it.
                      72 Pimento w/overdrive - Lilred
                      67 4A Royal Blue - Lilblue

Comment

Congratulations Rick. Great looking clean TVR! Looks as if you can drive it as soon as it arrives.

I've been restoring / rebuilding a 2500M purchased in boxes and bins that's missing lots of parts for the past 4 years. Looking back I should have waited for one like you've found. Love all the pics as I can see what my car should look like. Please post more as you go along.

Have to disagree with lfmTR4 that it's not a TR6 although most of the running gear is TR6. It is a completely different breed of animal especially safety wise when compared to a TR6. The TR6 is more like a Volvo wagon compared to a TVR. Personally I think that is some of the mystique of the TVR's.

Enjoy your new ride!

Comment

RE "it's a TR6".... I'm guessing that anything (or most things) having to do with the drivetrain anyway (engine, gearbox, rear end, axles? brakes? etc.) can be ordered from the usual Triumph suppliers (I've heard the name Moss quite a bit)? And I should just look & buy "TR6" parts for the year of my car? Or do the Triumph parts suppliers want to know, or care, that it's actually a TVR?

Initially, simple items such as for a tune-up (plugs, points, distributor cap, etc.), oil filter, air filter, etc. can't be had from the local PepBoys, right? So, start with "Moss"? As I've said, this is my first LBC & im going to be on a STEEP learning curve here for a while! So I'm going to be scouring this site for as much info as I can gather!

Thanks for all the words of encouragement here now, & over the past couple of years, as I've sat on the sidelines drooling

Comment

You can get some stuff from local auto parts stores. Usually whatever it might be will cost less than the usual Triumph parts suppliers.
                            Look up your engine # and that will tell you what year Triumph it was.
                            Ask here....but try to avoid the word "best"... :S
                            Most of the time there is no 'best' although we all like to think we have or use the 'best' and pretty likely to tell you so without you having to ask..
                            Driving a 1973 TR6
                            Doing ZS carb repairs
                            email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

Yes, I would think most of the mechanical is TR6. Moss is a good source, so is the Roadster Factory and British Parts North West and for the real hard to get Rimmer Brothers in the U.K. Very few parts at local FLAPS and if they have it you'll go through the what make is it? TVR. Who makes that? TVR. Same thing happens with Triumph and TR6. Things like coils, wires and maybe brake parts can be found at FLAPS the rest you need the others.
                              72 Pimento w/overdrive - Lilred
                              67 4A Royal Blue - Lilblue

Comment

Bought a '71 TVR Vixen 2500

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 40,347   Posts: 496,763   Members: 57,054   Active Members: 111
                              Welcome to our newest member, Don Davis.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

• Sep 9
                                01:00 AM | The annual Cincinnati British Car Day benefiting the Aubrey Rose Foundation. Honoring 100 years of MG and Triumph

30+ Classes 70+ awards...
                              • No more items.
                              Working...
                              X