Engine compartment clean up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine compartment clean up

Hi ,new member. I have a 76 tr6 in good condition. Want to clean up and simplify engine compartment without pulling engine. Have removed emissions equipment. Rebuilding carbs from Poolboy. Ceramic coating exhaust manifold. ? ceramic coat intake manifold or just Buff up? Any thoughts on painting engine block in place with small brush and black engine paint as I go along and frame?
    Any thought /info appreciated. Sorry in advance if covered in past. Thanks, Steve

I think POR makes an engine paint? I’m sure there are plenty of others. Might wanna use a pkg of foam brushes from Harbor Freight. Might be tough to get the frame clean enough with the engine in place? Probably a fair amount of grease covering undercoating. You results may vary of course
    So much rust, so little time

64 TR4 Overdrive Surrey
    68 TR250 Soon to have Overdrive & Surrey
    69 TR6 Overdrive Early with fender beads
    71 TR6 Hardtop Soon to have OD
    81 TR8 Injected Automatic...the LAST Automatic

Comment

I used POR15 engine enamel on my engine approx 12 years ago and it still looks as good as the day i painted it. It is rather shiny though if thats the look your going for.

Comment

As I remove stuff, nothing goes back in without either being cleaned, painted or polished.

That was my approach over the years.

Once you clean, paint, or polish one thing, it makes the other dengy stuff stand out and then you cant help but attack those too.

Before you know it, you're all cleaned up.

Got a lot of mileage out of a harbor freight bench polisher...
        Last edited by tr6harris; 09-22-2021, 02:31 AM.
        '74 TR6 CF13007U aka "Mr. T"
        Custom Blue (Delft-Like) and New Tan (Formerly Mallard and New Tan)
        Points, Ballast Bypassed, Bosch Blue Coil, Moss Cobalt Wires, Champion RN12YC plugs.
        Peaks and tweaks, but the spirit of Original
        Redlines always.
        My wife is the Driver, I'm just the Mechanic....

Comment

All of the above is great advice. The more you can remove from the engine bay and clean/polish/repaint. the better the end result. Cleaning the crud and built up grease and grime is the hardest part, but the rewards are great and worth the effort.
          CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
          2nd owner, since 1975
          Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

I did this project a few years back. As other have said, pull things out of the engine bay and then clean/paint each piece as you put them back in. I also pulled the wiring harness through the firewall into the engine compartment just to get it out of the way.

I had the exhaust manifold ceramic painted as years ago I had it media blasted and painted but it only lasted a few years that way. I also meaia blasted the intake and then painted it with a clear satin engine enamel.

This is the thread where I chronicled the work. Sadly the images seem to have been lost...not sure why. https://forums.6-pack.org/the-6-pack...ne-bay-restore
            73 TR6
            Dundee, IL
            My TR6

Comment

Welcome! A brush paint job would look fine, the block and head are rough enough castings nobody will see any brush marks. if you can't find crushable engine paint you could also use caliper paint, it's also high temp.

When I had my manifolds off for a new gasket a few years ago I had the intake vapor blasted by a local motorcycle guy. Turned out great, and as stayed clean, much cleaner than the raw aluminum did before.
              Bill Connell
              1969 TR6 CC28790
              TR6 project log
              St. Paul MN

Comment

I too used Harris' approach. Worked well for my car when I dolled up the engine bay many years ago.

On the intake manifold, see if there is a vapor blaster around you. Last year, I did an engine rebuild along with building a set of Italian Webers and a Cannon manifold. The vapor blasting made it all look great. And it still looks great!
                1973 TR6 – BRG with beige interior, custom LED lighting
                Hardtop, OD, Rollbar, 15”Koenigs
                Bored, balanced and polished motor with PI cam, hi-comp head, triple DCOE's
                Header, custom exhaust, custom alternator, e-fan
                Lowered, poly suspension, Konis and rear anti roll-bar
                www.coventrysfinest.blogspot.com

Comment

I use a brush and KBS coating's Motor Coater. It's an enamel in gloss. Easy to use. I have no idea if it is the same stuff chemically as POR engine paint.
                  1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1973 Harvest Yellow MGB V8

Comment

Engine compartment clean up

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,799   Posts: 492,701   Members: 56,757   Active Members: 4,470
                  Welcome to our newest member, Jarrodjeard.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X