Price changes over the past 1 - 1 and 1/2 Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    Take the time to determine what tradeoffs you are willing to make, I made some tradeoffs and 19 years later couldn't be happier. About a year before I left California I spent a lot of time looking for a Damson 6, I didn't care about the year but it hd to be the original color. I looked at a lot of cars and in the end chose a Jasmine 69 from the Central Valley (as noted you have to like the color, it was always a close second to Damson for me, it is just so period). My car is accident free, rust free, has original paint and all the oddball 69 stuff like fender beading, and I love the key on the dash support (but you can do that to a later car). I converted to OD (with a box and OD out of 69 I collected when I lived in the UK). Converting to OD is easy and way less painful than changing color or even a paint job in the same color. These days a 5 speed conversion might be easier from finding the parts POV. Know what you want but be clear on where you are willing to be flexible.
    Happy hunting, Steve
    This discussion is helping a lot. I think I have more flexibility in terms of color (e.g. Signal Red, or Triumph Racing Green - which I think is the darker) would all be ok even though Damson is still first choice. I just met someone that lives near me that restored a 70 in 2008 and it confirmed that I don't want to do that path - If I had more $$$ perhaps. A non-negotiable is that the frame and body have to be close to perfect in terms of fit, finish, and rust. I am willing to trade of mechanical condition for price. I don't know how much that opens things up while maintaining my desire for a 69 though I might consider a 70 in the right circumstances.

Thanks again.

Comment

Signal red is nota tr6 color
      1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1973 Harvest Yellow MGB V8

Comment

Originally posted by skootch13 View Post
        Signal red is nota tr6 color
        Yes it is up until 71.
        So much rust, so little time

64 TR4 Overdrive Surrey
        67 GT6 Mk1
        68 TR250 Soon to have Overdrive & Surrey
        71 TR6 Hardtop Soon to have OD
        81 TR8 Injected Automatic...the LAST Automatic

Comment

Huh. Talk about rare. Never seen one
          1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1973 Harvest Yellow MGB V8

Comment

Huh. Talk about rare. Never seen one
            my first 250 was signal red. My tr4 is signal red. The car I told Jon about (western Ky) was signal red.
            So much rust, so little time

64 TR4 Overdrive Surrey
            67 GT6 Mk1
            68 TR250 Soon to have Overdrive & Surrey
            71 TR6 Hardtop Soon to have OD
            81 TR8 Injected Automatic...the LAST Automatic

Comment

Originally posted by tr250 View Post

Graphics are decals not painted on

things I don’t like about it. Stone chip not brushed on rockers and cam back not cam back (satin black).
              Would you expand on this a bit.

Comment

• SapphireBlue72
                SapphireBlue72 commented
                Editing a comment
                What tr250 is pointing out is that Schutz 3M stone guard is not protecting the rocker/sill panels.
                The cam back is the rear panel between the rear edge of the trunk lid and the rear valance panel- it should be painted satin black.

• JonS
                JonS commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks very much. Still learning the part names.

Originally posted by tr250 View Post

i wouldn’t worry too much this isn’t the cars first go-round on eBay
              Very interesting. You are suggesting they have placed this car for sale several times without selling it. As people have pointe out, there is not much of a description. I am going to try and reach them again.

Comment

Original floorboards suggest this is a desert/ west coast/ southern car that has never seen salt. Panel gaps look great. Rear fender seams are clear.

Jon, JUMP MAN!!!!!!!!! This is you hen's teeth next to a needle in a haystack.
                I was finally able to get in touch with the people at West Coast Classics. Indeed it had previously been listed for sale and not sold. There is less than a day left on the auction and I was told they would take less than the 27,500 asked for. Unfortunately, he said the owners did not provide any more documentation than the pictures. In about a week or two I should be able to take a closer look if it does not sell again by tomorrow. That looks likely. I also told him what I was looking for - I figured the more places looking the better.

Comment

The car was reposted https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Triump...wAAOSwa15feJWg

You still have a chance for your unicorn.
                  72 Pimento w/overdrive

Comment

Originally posted by lfmTR4 View Post
                    The car was reposted https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Triump...wAAOSwa15feJWg

You still have a chance for your unicorn.
                    Thanks. I guess the reserve is $27,500 or close to that. From what I can tell, it would take about 4k to covert to OD. I should be able to make a decision at the end of next week about whether to get a TR in the short term. As I mentioned, I called West Coast and they said that they did not have any more documentation. If I were to pursue this, I would want to talk with the current owners to get more information about the history of the car. I don't think this would be an unreasonable request.

Comment

Well unless you find a one owner or well documented car, that discussion will be limited. Add that to your list and now you are looking for an even smaller probability of success. A refurbished OD is around $2.5K, the rest is labor.

For that kind of money, I would have a mechanic with TR6 experience go through it. That will be just as or more telling than speaking to an owner.

Do they offer a warranty?
                      72 Pimento w/overdrive

Comment

Originally posted by lfmTR4 View Post
                        Well unless you find a one owner or well documented car, that discussion will be limited. Add that to your list and now you are looking for an even smaller probability of success. A refurbished OD is around $2.5K, the rest is labor.

For that kind of money, I would have a mechanic with TR6 experience go through it. That will be just as or more telling than speaking to an owner.

Do they offer a warranty?
                        No warranty. I am not going to be unreasonable (IMHO :-)) about this but the current owner must have some documentation and some history. Yup, about 4K for the OD work seems in the ballpark I agree about a mechanic looking through it. Since this is being sold in CA, I am sure I can find a mechanic to look at it.

Comment

In The Roadster Factory Classifieds there is a primrose 1970 with OD & hardtop, asking price $25K. In CA. With a very good history.

Walt
                          CC80954U '72 TR6 original condition/sold 16.500.
                          poolboy rebuilt the Z-S Carbs. Philstr6 rebuilt both rear hubs.

Comment

• tr250
                            tr250 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Jasmine would be the color

• SapphireBlue72
                            SapphireBlue72 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Oh man, I'm losing it.

(ad did say Pale Primrose, but we know better)
                            Last edited by SapphireBlue72; 01-20-2021, 07:07 PM.

Originally posted by SapphireBlue72 View Post
                          In The Roadster Factory Classifieds there is a primrose 1970 with OD & hardtop, asking price $25K. In CA. With a very good history.
                          Thanks very much for the pointer. Another great example - I don't think I want primrose though :-). There was a listing for a 1971 just below but the phone is out of service and it is an old listing. The point here is that it seems to be that what I am not looking for, if I will look at 1970 or perhaps 71, do not appear as unusual as I might have thought. Of course, when I actually decide to buy there may not be anything for months :-)

Comment

Originally posted by SapphireBlue72 View Post
                            Did you happen to see the 1971 below the primrose one? I have been in touch with the owner who did most of the labor on the frame off restoration. This sounds pretty good. I have asked for an image of the comm plate to see where it falls.

Comment

• SapphireBlue72
                              SapphireBlue72 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              The one called "'burgundy"?
                              (That would be Damson, please. You would think if someone spent so much effort restoring a car they would learn the proper color name.)

Did you get the price on it? Does it have Overdrive?

One thing to learn about old cars is that it is best to shop for condition over color.
                              Last edited by SapphireBlue72; 01-20-2021, 07:11 PM.

Price changes over the past 1 - 1 and 1/2 Years

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,342   Posts: 488,624   Members: 13,753   Active Members: 656
                          Welcome to our newest member, Tacozabub.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X