No announcement yet.

Price changes over the past 1 - 1 and 1/2 Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, that might be quite a challenge since Damask Red was not a TR6 factory color. In the reds you had signal, pimento, carmine and magenta. OD is denoted in the comm number with an O if it was a factory installed option. http://trf.zeni.net/TR6bluebook/3.php

Originally posted by JonS View Post

Thanks. I understand this may take some time to get what I want once I pull the trigger. Piggott shows production TR6 figures on 253 of his book, but I can't quite make sense of it. Even if I could, I can not tell what percent of the Carb versions also had OD and what percent of those were in Damask Red :-)
    72 Pimento w/overdrive

Comment

Originally posted by lfmTR4 View Post
      Well, that might be quite a challenge since Damask Red was not a TR6 factory color. In the reds you had signal, pimento, carmine and magenta. OD is denoted in the comm number with an O if it was a factory installed option. http://trf.zeni.net/TR6bluebook/3.php

Think he’s looking for Damson (Code 17)

cheers,
      Tush
      Last edited by Tush; 01-14-2021, 09:33 AM.
      81 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 81 Triumph TR8, 1973 Ford Capri
      73 Triumph TR6 CF4874UO, 68 Triumph TR250 CD5228LO
      62 Triumph TR4 CT6716LO, 60 Triumph TR3A TS69891LO
      60 Triumph TR3A TS64870LO, 59 Triumph TR3A TS44836LO
      https://www.youtube.com/user/cheftush

Comment

That would be the closest match, Tush.
        72 Pimento w/overdrive

Comment

Thanks. I understand this may take some time to get what I want once I pull the trigger. Piggott shows production TR6 figures on 253 of his book, but I can't quite make sense of it. Even if I could, I can not tell what percent of the Carb versions also had OD and what percent of those were in Damask Red :-)
          I really hope you widen your criteria for what you consider to be an acceptable car for you. If not you may be looking for a long time. If it has to be a Damson, 69 with OD and New Tan interior and in a 3+/2- condition, that is a tiny tiny pool of cars. In my opinion, less that 10% of TR6s on the road are in the condition you are looking for. (https://www.hemmings.com/stories/art...itions-ratings)

According to these guys there were only 7141 TR6s made for model year 1969 https://vintagetriumphregister.org/tr6/ Although there is no Marti Report equivalent for Triumphs, I believe fewer than half had OD from the factory. I have to wonder if there are 100 cars that fit your criteria in 2021. How many of them are for sale at any one time? If you look at 69-72 Damson cars, you quadruple the number of acceptable cars.

Instead of shooting for your Holy Grail car in one swoop try this strategy.

Buy an excellent car. Own it and drive it. While you have that one, keep looking.

When you find the car you want, jump on the next one and sell the one you have.

Good luck with whatever direction you take. I want you to get a great car that you like and join us in the fun.
          1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1973 Harvest Yellow MGB V8

Comment

Originally posted by tr250 View Post
            There were less 69s built than TR250s so in one sense they’re rarer. I doubt you’ll get production numbers broken down by color and OD vs non. Triumph didn’t keep great records. If a car was a CKD (complete knock down) there would be little info on it. In theory you could order any color you wanted (black comes to mind).
            I am sure you are right. From I have seen here and elsewhere, what I am looking for is not common, but around. It seems a lot were ordered with the OD option, and a some of those were Damask Red.

Comment

• JonS
              JonS commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi everyone, yes the color I was asking about is "Damson" Code 17. Any of the interior colors, black or light tan work. In 1970 the tan was changed to new tan at some point in the run. If a Signal Red was available, that would be nice as a second choice. I don't think anything except the seats and key location changed until after 1970. Most until then would be OK as well. For all the obvious reasons, I would like to avoid wire wheels :-)

Engine changed post 69. Crankshaft is long-back on 69. Steering wheel too. 69 had the ROStyle caps on the wheels or wires. I wouldn’t rule out (when searching) wires simply because it’s a snap to change them out to something else. Oh body color paint on windscreen frame vs black on a 70. Probably other little things washer bottle seat belts and in some cases rear fender beading and chrome valve cover. None of which will be found on a 70
            So much rust, so little time

64 TR4 Overdrive Surrey
            67 GT6 Mk1
            68 TR250 Soon to have Overdrive & Surrey
            71 TR6 Hardtop Soon to have OD
            81 TR8 Injected Automatic...the LAST Automatic

Comment

Checks a bunch of boxes

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Triump...wAAOSwa15feJWg
              1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1973 Harvest Yellow MGB V8

Comment

Originally posted by tr250 View Post
                Engine changed post 69. Crankshaft is long-back on 69. Steering wheel too. 69 had the ROStyle caps on the wheels or wires. I wouldn’t rule out (when searching) wires simply because it’s a snap to change them out to something else. Oh body color paint on windscreen frame vs black on a 70. Probably other little things washer bottle seat belts and in some cases rear fender beading and chrome valve cover. None of which will be found on a 70
                Big differences between the 69 and the 70's emission and vacuum systems...carbs are different, too.
                Last edited by poolboy; 01-14-2021, 05:02 PM.
                Driving a 1973 TR6
                Doing ZS carb repairs
                email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

Originally posted by skootch13 View Post
                  You are so right. This gives me encouragement that when I decide to pull trigger (hopefully in about 4 weeks or so). I will be able to find what I want. The only thing that crosses my mind in this one is what is really the condition of the chassis. Just because something has a coat of paint on it, does not mean it is solid :-) For something around 30K, I would hope for documentation of the frame off repairs. I did not notice any extra support metal some put on when doing the restoration on the rear end.

That all said, this is very much as you say, checks a bunch of boxes.

I have one question, I noticed in a couple of the 69s I have looked at recently, they do not have the "TR 6" painted on each of the rear bumpers. I thought this continued for year or so until it was replaced with the Union Jack. Do some people remove the white TR 6?

Comment

Originally posted by poolboy View Post

Big differences between the 69 and the 70's emission and vacuum systems...carbs are different, too.
                    Thanks. Most of the changes were cosmetic. I do not recall reading about emission changes, I will have to go back and look through the book. If I get one, there is a strong change I will change the 2 Stombergs out for three SUs or 3 dellorto's, but that is down the road.

Comment

Wow Aaron, that does check a lot of boxes. Not going to get much closer. It’s being sold by a dealer Jon, why don’t you ask them to put it on a lift and send you some pictures of the frame or for that matter FaceTime and ask them to point the phone at the areas you are interested in and talk over questions you may have?

edit: never mind, frame pictures are there. Just OD missing which can be added.
                      Last edited by lfmTR4; 01-14-2021, 06:52 PM.
                      72 Pimento w/overdrive

Comment

Originally posted by lfmTR4 View Post
                        Wow Aaron, that does check a lot of boxes. Not going to get much closer. It’s being sold by a dealer Jon, why don’t you ask them to put it on a lift and send you some pictures of the frame or for that matter FaceTime and ask them to point the phone at the areas you are interested in and talk over questions you may have?

edit: never mind, frame pictures are there. Just OD missing which can be added.
                        I may call them anyway to let them know that I am looking and what I am looking for.

I did a lot of work with MGBs at one point and they used a Laycock de normanville overdrive as well. I did not know that you could retrofit one to a TR. Where are the differences in the drive line to absorb the extra space the OD unit takes? Also how would the control fit on the steering column. Does anyone have a picture of one on a steering column that does have OD?

Comment

Thanks. Most of the changes were cosmetic. I do not recall reading about emission changes, I will have to go back and look through the book. If I get one, there is a strong change I will change the 2 Stombergs out for three SUs or 3 dellorto's, but that is down the road.
                          FYI
                          https://mossmotors.com/triumph-tr6-2...reather-system
                          https://mossmotors.com/triumph-tr6-2...-vacuum-system
                          http://trf.zeni.net/TR6bluebook/30.php
                          Driving a 1973 TR6
                          Doing ZS carb repairs
                          email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

You are so right. This gives me encouragement that when I decide to pull trigger (hopefully in about 4 weeks or so). I will be able to find what I want. The only thing that crosses my mind in this one is what is really the condition of the chassis. Just because something has a coat of paint on it, does not mean it is solid :-) For something around 30K, I would hope for documentation of the frame off repairs. I did not notice any extra support metal some put on when doing the restoration on the rear end.

That all said, this is very much as you say, checks a bunch of boxes.

I have one question, I noticed in a couple of the 69s I have looked at recently, they do not have the "TR 6" painted on each of the rear bumpers. I thought this continued for year or so until it was replaced with the Union Jack. Do some people remove the white TR 6?
                            Graphics are decals not painted on

things I don’t like about it. Stone chip not brushed on rockers and cam back not cam back (satin black).
                            So much rust, so little time

64 TR4 Overdrive Surrey
                            67 GT6 Mk1
                            68 TR250 Soon to have Overdrive & Surrey
                            71 TR6 Hardtop Soon to have OD
                            81 TR8 Injected Automatic...the LAST Automatic

Comment

Here is the second stalk on mine, it’s behind the turn signals

Click image for larger version  Name:	239C8BB8-2F98-487C-98D6-70CBA6D2534E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	486.3 KB ID:	539181

But I replaced that with a button on the shifter later for ease of use

Click image for larger version  Name:	E7DD9AE7-EC2A-4969-806F-800860EA3FB4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	42.7 KB ID:	539180

If you get an OD gear box it’s just a swap and adding the electrical harness and switch.

I may call them anyway to let them know that I am looking and what I am looking for.

I did a lot of work with MGBs at one point and they used a Laycock de normanville overdrive as well. I did not know that you could retrofit one to a TR. Where are the differences in the drive line to absorb the extra space the OD unit takes? Also how would the control fit on the steering column. Does anyone have a picture of one on a steering column that does have OD?
                              72 Pimento w/overdrive

Comment

Price changes over the past 1 - 1 and 1/2 Years

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,338   Posts: 488,573   Members: 13,708   Active Members: 652
                              Welcome to our newest member, Danieltuh.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X