Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential First-time Buyer - Triumph TR6

Hello,

I'm very interested in buying a TR6 and in doing my research on these vehicles a fellow enthusiast recommended this forum. With that I wanted to reach out, introduce myself and ask for some guidance.

Ideally, I would like to find an entry-level TR6 that is in good driving condition but I'm not equipped with the knowledge or space to work on one, so I'm looking for insight into approaching this situation given those circumstances.

I live in Chicago and I have a parking space in my building's garage but it is not suited to work on it if it were to need some heavy TLC. Small fixes could be handled.

This TR6 would be my weekend baby and driven with leisure and care, but I would want to feel confident I could take her on a longer road trip too or day-to-day trips.

In terms of doing due diligence before buying, I have read that I should have a 2-hour inspection done beforehand and buy the best non-rusty car you can afford.

Can an inspection find all rot and rust?
    Can any mechanic due the inspection or is it best to find a speciality TR6 mechanic?

Here are some TR6s for sale that caught my eye.

This Triumph hits the sweet spot, with price, cosmetics and seemingly in good condition. Although it was pointed out to me that there no underbody pics and the front driver's seat backing is deflated.

https://www.classiccardeals.com/List...iumph-TR6.aspx

Possible restoration candidate?

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...6/2429260.html

15K seems very promising

https://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/LOU/2153/

Best,
    Nathan

PS. This will be my first vehicle purchase and I do not know how to drive a manual.

https://novadriving.com/our-programs...shift-lessons/ - thoughts on taking this course?

PSS. Pittsburgh Native and have attended the Vintage Grand Prix many times. Sad to miss this year!

https://www.pvgp.org/car-shows/schen...itish-car-day/
    Last edited by nathanucandoit; 09-11-2020, 03:36 PM.

Hopefully someone like Irv Korey or Phil Beckman or any of the Illinois guys see this.
    https://forums.6-pack.org/the-6-pack...ng-trials-2019
    Driving a 1973 TR6
    Doing ZS carb repairs
    email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

I would find a good British car mechanic to do the inspection, you are going to need one sooner or later if you don’t have the space or skill to work on it yourself. They can also usually point you to cars for sale that they have worked on. Download the buyer’s guide and rad through and understand it before looking at a car.
    72 Pimento w/overdrive

Comment

Don't buy the blue car with rust holes in it.

the brown car looks good at gateway. Interior looks to be original with original seat covers, seat foam, dash. Carpet is faded, but no big deal.

Engine bay is tidy. Frame shows just surface rust. Looks like it has been repainted and it looks good.

I didn't see a description of the car other than boiler plate. Ask them if there are any receipts or history of work being done to the car.

A good bit of advise for buying a classic car is to buy the best one you can afford. If not, then get ready to put money into them.

And remember, these are 50 year old cars. Eventually you will have to tinker on it. No matter what you paid for the car or how good of condition it is in when you buy it. So be ready for that.
    1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1959 Red TR3 (Wife's)

Comment

• nathanucandoit
      nathanucandoit commented
      Editing a comment
      Called Gateway Classic Cars and spoke to their sales rep about this TR6 https://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/LOU/2153/ - I sent them over a used-car-checklist I obtained from Triumph Experience Forum - parts 2 and 3 of the guide focus on interior, exterior, electrical and test driving. The sales rep said he would do his best but he says everyone who works there are not mechanics, which is kinda odd right? Nice conversation, will research the vehicle further. Would like to find something local to IL.

Hi Nathan

If you want to be able to drive this car weekends and want it o be to trave further/longer honestly I would get the most up to date refurbished clean TR6 I could afford. As stated above you are talking about a 44-50 y/o car. Secondly if you have never driven one I would try and tie up with someone that has a TR6 and go for a drive or be able to drive it. TR6's are great cars but you have to know them and you need to join a TR6 club. I bought my second TR6 seven years ago - rusty free frame good working condition (so I thought and I put close to 100,000 miles on my first TR6). Over the last seven years I have put about $20,000 into my 6 to bring it up to as close to "very reliable" "really fun to drive" as possible. I have done 90% of the work myself. I am not trying to discourage you they really are great car - but - they are old school technology which makes them both a blessing and a pita.

Comment

• nathanucandoit
      nathanucandoit commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Podman, thanks for the reply. It would be cool to see your vehicles. let's chat.

To amplify what Skootch13 said, every British car needs something. They need regular maintenance. Once you let them go they are so hard to bring back. They aren’t modern cars so you shouldn’t expect the same level of reliability. That being said, they really are so different and fun. Driving a modern car is an exercise in pointing. You have to drive the TR6.

This community will be invaluable for you and your TR6 ownership. If you sign up as a member there is a network of folks that will look over a car for you. Yeah, not the blue one. If you see blistering along the seams don’t let anyone tell you it is “surface rust”. They rust from the inside out. Guaranteed The rust on this car is ~200x times what you can see.

cygan
    Last edited by Cygan; 09-07-2020, 08:05 PM.

Comment

• nathanucandoit
      nathanucandoit commented
      Editing a comment
      "Driving a modern car is an exercise in pointing." That is why I want this driving experience. I hate driving in the city. I want to feeeeel the car and road, etc. Thanks for the reply Cygan.

Yeah, good to drive one first. They had about 105 HP when they rolled off the line 50 years ago so don't expect to beat ANY minivans currently driving today. They don't handle like modern cars out of the box, but you could make them handle much better than stock. They have a manual choke. The tops are anything but water proof. You get the picture. If you're not prepared to work on one, have a reliable mechanic standing by.

After you drive one seriously consider if you want to own something that's 50 years old, goes slow relative to modern cars, and WILL require frequent TLC. If your answer isn't yes, go out & buy a Miata or something like it.

If the answer is yes, welcome to our world and the reason for this forum

ps, anyone want to stop by & help me do a clutch in my TR6. PO didn't drill the cross shaft for the thru bolt. Had serious clutch chatter anyway...needs to be done. might throw an overdrive in it while i'm in there.
    So much rust, so little time

64 TR4 Overdrive Surrey
    67 GT6 Mk1
    68 TR250 Soon to have Overdrive & Surrey
    71 TR6 Hardtop Soon to have OD
    81 TR8 Injected Automatic...the LAST Automatic

Comment

• nathanucandoit
      nathanucandoit commented
      Editing a comment
      tr250 - thanks for the reply and insight. Greatly appreciated. I'm still feeling my way around and I think the next best thing is to sit in one of these vehicles and drive one.

Gee guys, I hope we haven't scared the the guy off?
    CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
    2nd owner, since 1975
    Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

Originally posted by baws View Post
    Gee guys, I hope we haven't scared the the guy off?
    I look at it at potentially savin' a guy some heartache and some dollars. If the prospective buyer looks at the list of cars i have he may see i'm completely nuts & may not listen to what i have to say
    So much rust, so little time

64 TR4 Overdrive Surrey
    67 GT6 Mk1
    68 TR250 Soon to have Overdrive & Surrey
    71 TR6 Hardtop Soon to have OD
    81 TR8 Injected Automatic...the LAST Automatic

Comment

Originally posted by tr250 View Post
      buy a Miata
      This is what I was tempted to say, but resisted. Now, I can just second the motion, with guilt-free conscience.

To own an antique or classic for daily driving, you need a comprehensive set of tools, a hassle-free place to work on the car, a good teacher/mechanic friend.

It's not like riding off into the sunset in a good Western movie.
      It's more like "damn, not again!"

That written: If you should make the leap of faith into a TR, this about the best place on Earth to get free advice and guidance.
      Don't hesitate to send in your membership fee.
      Last edited by SapphireBlue72; 09-08-2020, 08:18 PM.
      Walt
      CC80954U '72 TR6 original condition/sold 16.500.
      poolboy rebuilt the Z-S Carbs. Philstr6 rebuilt both rear hubs.

Comment

• nathanucandoit
        nathanucandoit commented
        Editing a comment
        To own an antique or classic for daily driving,

Comprehensive set of tools - I can obtain these but I have no place to work.
        A hassle-free place to work on the car - Should I move to the burbs for a garage? Help.
        A good teacher/mechanic friend - http://www.fixmybritishcar.com/

• SapphireBlue72
        SapphireBlue72 commented
        Editing a comment
        There are places with garages everywhere. Get a realtor looking out for your needs. A TR6 really needs to be garaged in Illinois type climate.
        In the ice & snow, you really need a reliable daily driver/beater, at least.
        Steve looks like a very good resource.

Hi Nathan and welcome to the forums.

Sorry for not responding sooner but...I've been in the process of moving into a new house and selling my old one so...pretty busy

I've been in the Chicago area for a long time and would be happy to chat with you and even go look at some cars if you want another set of eyes. I'd offer to let you drive mine but its stashed away at my daughter's house during this move so that might need to wait a short time.
      73 TR6
      Libertyville, IL
      My TR6

Comment

hi Nathan. I am also in the chicago area and would be happy to let you take a good look at 6 and go over what to look for when buying.PM if you are interested steve

Comment

Yo Nate any update on your quest

Comment

I don't think he was as interested as he sounded

Comment

Hi Nathan,

This is a great thread. I don't recall anyone saying they could not drive a stick. And that is easy enough to fix.

On this thread are truly some great mentors in this group - literally, a works team of experts. Pool mentions early to find Irv, better known here as Elwood. This is Irv/Elwood. https://forums.6-pack.org/member/809-elwood. He is near you. He is a wealth of knowledge. He is a great guy, and he would be the first one I reached out to if I were still in Chicago.

So, several things.
              First - with all that research you have already done, park that for the time being, and go read thru some the posts of all the people that have responded to you. These guys have been supporting people for years, and know the mark well.
              Second - don't fret on the stick shift. In my mind, the best way to learn to drive a stick is to simply drive it, and make mistakes. Hard for me to understand this as I could drive a tractor at age 8. But kids today, my daughters included, struggle with this concept. Its a theft deterent, literally, and you get insurance breaks on a stick cause thiefs can't drive them.
              Third - don't rush on a car. Get in with a local TR group - Irv/Elwood can help with that too.

Enjoy, and welcome. And help this group of old owners find more people like you to pass these cars along to.

cheers
              G

Comment

Potential First-time Buyer - Triumph TR6

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,149   Posts: 486,454   Members: 11,788   Active Members: 522
              Welcome to our newest member, Rod-H.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X