Paint advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint advice

I recently purchased a 1972 TR6 from a friend who had owned the vehicle for 15+ years and maintained it very well. It's in great shape mechanically. The body work has a few small scratches. One of these is on a prominent section of the hood and is about 3-4 inches long. It spoils the overall appearance of the car. As a newbie to vintage car ownership, what's the best way to treat these imperfections? Is it difficult to buy matching paint? Excuse the basic question - I don't want to make stupid mistakes and would like to get the car looking pristine. Thanks for any help you can give!

If the paint is an original color, you can order a touch-up paint pen from Paint Scratch.com for about $24.

If not original color, try a local body shop for matching paint- they can scan the color digitally & match a small batch.
    Walt
    CC80954U '72 TR6 original condition/sold 16.500.
    poolboy rebuilt the Z-S Carbs. Philstr6 rebuilt both rear hubs.

Comment

Pristine 6?

Not if you DRIVE IT!

'74 TR6 CF13007U aka "Mr. T"
      Custom Blue (Delft-Like) and New Tan (Formerly Mallard and New Tan)
      Points, Ballast Bypassed, Bosch Blue Coil, Moss Cobalt Wires, Champion RN12YC plugs.
      Peaks and tweaks, but the spirit of Original
      Redlines always.
      My wife is the Driver, I'm just the Mechanic....

Comment

Yeah pretty much all body shops can get the paint matched. Either take the entire car or just the bonnet to a shop & have em fix it. It’ll cost say 3-500 to get it done I should think. I had a door done for $350. Trying to fix deep scratches by a non pro may not come out to your liking.
        So much rust, so little time

64 TR4 Overdrive Surrey
        67 GT6 Mk1
        68 TR250 Soon to have Overdrive & Surrey
        71 TR6 Hardtop Soon to have OD
        81 TR8 Injected Automatic...the LAST Automatic

Comment

• bartman
          bartman commented
          Editing a comment
          +1. Had a new fender put on after a 'fender-bender' back in 2016. I was amazed how well the body shop could match the color when they painted it. Let a pro handle it.

I'm very grateful to all of you for giving advice to a newbie like me. Of course, I now have a follow-up question about TR6 paint colors. When I look at the paint codes and color charts, I see that the green used in 1972 was Emerald Green. The original plate near the driver's door seems to confirm that (manufacture date = 1972, and factory color code = 65). Was Emerald Green a dark green in those days? My car looks more like what people usually call British Racing Green, but I see that exact color wasn't introduced until 1975. Maybe one of you can confirm that Emerald Green was quite dark back then?

Comment

• skootch13
          skootch13 commented
          Editing a comment
          After 48 years, unless you know the car's history, who knows what the car may have been resprayed with. Sounds like your car was resprayed at some point with what an owner liked at the time. Whatever is on it now, the pros can color match it. I believe any automotive paint store can take a picture of you paint and perfectly match it.

Post a pic of the car to confirm the color. And, "B" post commission plate.

Emerald was a lighter shade of green then BRG.
        Walt
        CC80954U '72 TR6 original condition/sold 16.500.
        poolboy rebuilt the Z-S Carbs. Philstr6 rebuilt both rear hubs.

Comment

Emerald is quite nice...and yes, it is lighter than BRG

Cheers,
          Tush
          81 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 81 Triumph TR8
          73 Triumph TR6 CF4874UO, 68 Triumph TR250 CD5228LO
          62 Triumph TR4 CT6716LO, 60 Triumph TR3A TS69891LO
          60 Triumph TR3A TS64870LO, 59 Triumph TR3A TS44836LO
          https://www.youtube.com/user/cheftush

Comment

A little off topic. I didn’t think there was a specific shade of green that was British Racing Green. I thought BRG was the shade of green choose for that particular model year. Does this sound right?
            1972. J Type Overdrive
            Fan Eliminator. PB Carbs
            RG Hubs. Poly Bushings
            RG Trailing Arm Brackets. Fidanza 9Ib Flywheel
            Addco Rear Sway Bar. Gear Reduction Starter

Comment

Originally posted by Soup View Post
              A little off topic. I didn’t think there was a specific shade of green that was British Racing Green. I thought BRG was the shade of green choose for that particular model year. Does this sound right?
              It's Triumph Racing Green - Dupont 8450 - and it's the same code as Conifer iirc.

BRG - as painted on the later Spitfires is Dupont 43912
              I'm really not that interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by alana View Post

It's Triumph Racing Green - Dupont 8450 - and it's the same code as Conifer iirc.

BRG - as painted on the later Spitfires is Dupont 43912
                Thank you Alan
                1972. J Type Overdrive
                Fan Eliminator. PB Carbs
                RG Hubs. Poly Bushings
                RG Trailing Arm Brackets. Fidanza 9Ib Flywheel
                Addco Rear Sway Bar. Gear Reduction Starter

Comment

Paint advice

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,093   Posts: 485,818   Members: 11,427   Active Members: 810
                Welcome to our newest member, Sivertemise.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X