Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Shocks

Hi everyone,
    I am looking for suggestions / recommendations on shocks for TR250.
    I have coil overs in the rear that came with my new frame.
    No brand name is on the shocks.
    As we all know there isn't much weight in the back.
    Should all the shocks match ?
    Thank you.
    Panda

Hi everyone,
    I am looking for suggestions / recommendations on shocks for TR250.
    I have coil overs in the rear that came with my new frame.
    No brand name is on the shocks.
    As we all know there isn't much weight in the back.
    Should all the shocks match ?
    Thank you.
    Panda
    Panda --- I bought my Konis in 1983 from an auto parts house in the L.A. area. On the box is marked: 2 KONI Spedial D 80A-1784 Made in Holland.

The cost back then was $84/Pair..There's over 200,000 miles on these shocks. Starting off at the mid-range point of adjustment and given one turn down firmer about 10 years ago. When I pounce on the front fender corners, they still respond (bounce and rebound as I like after all these miles and time. This was accompanied by the TRF SAH___road springs with the "20% upgrade", altho I didn't specify this when purchasing the shocks from the parts house.
    I'm sure the added weight and weight transfer at the front end would mean a different valving setup for the rear springs, if youwant Konis here. Don't know, as I have the KYBs on the back.

Dick

Comment

Panda --- I bought my Konis in 1983 from an auto parts house in the L.A. area. On the box is marked: 2 KONI Spedial D 80A-1784 Made in Holland.

The cost back then was $84/Pair..There's over 200,000 miles on these shocks. Starting off at the mid-range point of adjustment and given one turn down firmer about 10 years ago. When I pounce on the front fender corners, they still respond (bounce and rebound as I like after all these miles and time. This was accompanied by the TRF SAH___road springs with the "20% upgrade", altho I didn't specify this when purchasing the shocks from the parts house.
      I'm sure the added weight and weight transfer at the front end would mean a different valving setup for the rear springs, if you want Konis here. Don't know, as I have the KYBs on the back.

Dick
      This is one of the reasons I buy Koni dampers for my cars, yes you pay a little more initially but over the years/miles it's a good investment and you get the adjustability as bonus almost. I even put adjustable Koni dampers on my daily driver diesel station wagon. B)

Comment

Hey Panda:

My shocks don't match; not sure but I don't think that is a requirement. I don't know what they are up front but they are very stiff. The rears are the KYB tube shock conversion thingie. I did however toss all four springs for the Goodparts lower pieces. I have an over sized front sway bar but non in the rear. My car sits low, rides firm and handles precisely. As firm as it is Sandy is comfortable in it now, and following the stock seat rebuild there is no longer back pain on long drives. I am very happy with the stance and the ride.
        Best Therapy
        http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/AlbertGary.htm
        Zoom Zoom

Comment

Thank you for your the help guys.
          All the best .
          Panda

Comment

I'd like to replace my front shocks with KYB's, but I read somewhere the Excel G line shock diameter of the bottom hole may require different size bolt. Regardless, I found some KYB's on ebay and the MPN# does not coincide with current KYB part#. So, I am looking for the correct KYB part# for my 74 TR6.
            btw I see the major suppliers all carry an inexpensive generic shock and then a premium shock. The two KYB's on ebay range from $60-$120 a pair. One has a proper KYB # GSA272HD the other supplier #
            LXMXPCKYSHK103020AA0074
            does not.
            Thanks in advance for your help.
            Last edited by erictr6; 01-20-2021, 05:14 PM.

Comment

See my sigblock...no, don't look. It used to be there.
              Last edited by TR6_Jim; 02-09-2021, 11:59 PM. Reason: Because I no longer have a signature block.

Comment

Ok...I found one of the posts from back in 2011:

"And I found more details from another thread:
                And the front KYB can be sourced from RockAuto.com for around $20 each. Don't forget metric hardware (10mmx65mm, IST) for the bottom mount, and cut the mount to fit between the lower shock plates (like, 3/16' on each side of bushing) done in vise in 5 minutes per side!

Fitment has been discussed before, I know Lou (LFMtr4)has the numbers...from an Opel or Fiat, or something like that...anyone seen that link lately??

Well, the number is: KYB 343141 GR-2 Shock"

Comment

Front Shocks

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,337   Posts: 488,569   Members: 13,702   Active Members: 652
                Welcome to our newest member, AzizSem.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X