Reference Books and Upgrade Costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reference Books and Upgrade Costs

I could not find what I was looking for so here is a new post. I have been looking at a couple of TR6s and some look appear to have fresh engines while others are a bit harder to determine. Before I make an offer, I am trying to get an idea of what it would take to do a full recondition of a basically sound block and head to about stock form. The other question relates to upgrades cams, carbs, and related parts. Some people like 2 or 3 SUs, while others appear to like Dellorto or Webbers - I don't want to go down the PI route. Do people have opinions of these different approaches. I looked in the dyno charts section and did not find much.

Finally, I have Piggott's book, is there any reference material out there about tuning a TR6 that looks at the different approaches and costs?
    Thanks.

Machinist work pricing is all over the place depending on where you live in the country. Calling a local one to you is a good idea.

You don't need triple carbs, two ZSs are sufficient

A performance cam costs roughly what a stock one does. But to optimize the cam you have to shave the head to give at least 9.5:1 compression ration. You can go to 10:1 safely.

http://www.hottr6.com/triumph/tr6cams.html

https://www.goodparts.com/tr6-compression-ratio/

Moss motors, The roadster factory and British parts Northwest all sell the items needed for an engine rebuild.

County pistons and hasting rings are highly recommended on this forum.
    1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1973 Harvest Yellow MGB V8

Comment

Rebuild cost will also depend a lot on who is doing the work. If you're doing everything but the machine work yourself you might get by with $2-3000, depending on parts needed. If you're having someone do all the work for you it can easily be $4-8000, depending on parts and shop rates.

You should probably assume new bearings, seals/gaskets, and pistons/rings, that seems to be a good baseline for a relatively leak-free engine. The condition of the valves and camshaft can swing the total by a few hundred, depending on what you have. The stock carbs are good, even with some performance mods. 3 of anything or Webers can get expensive real quick. There are uprated versions of most parts, so even without any performance upgrades the total can vary a lot, depending on your preferences.
      Bill Connell
      1969 TR6 CC28790
      TR6 project log
      St. Paul MN

Comment

I think Bill is about right that a checkbook engine rebuild will run double or more what it would cost if you did most of the work yourself. For an entire car, the multiplier is probably much higher.

As for upgrades, some are and some aren't. It is sometimes hard to resist change for change's sake.

Ed
        For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

Step ONE....get a TR6
          Last edited by poolboy; 01-22-2021, 10:40 AM.
          Driving a 1973 TR6
          Doing ZS carb repairs
          email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

Originally posted by poolboy View Post
          Step ONE....get a TR6
          Yes, but step one in getting one is determining which one. Which one depends on what work I think is needed and how much it costs. This seems perfectly sensible to me.

Comment

Do you really want a TR6 ...or is it just the thought of you having a TR6 ?
            Driving a 1973 TR6
            Doing ZS carb repairs

Comment

Originally posted by poolboy View Post
              Do you really want a TR6 ...or is it just the thought of you having a TR6 ?
              Thanks for the help. I won't post again unless/until I get one.

Comment

• SapphireBlue72
                SapphireBlue72 commented
                Editing a comment
                You are a member- you can post all that you desire. You are getting responses and learning about the cars. No problem there.

Other members just prefer your posts to be meaningful- and worrying about enhancing a $30K TR6 that you don't have in your possession is somewhat ridiculous.

In the price range that you are considering ($20K-$30K), absolutely no work should be necessary. Particularly, no drivetrain work.

If you were considering a $6000. - $12000. TR6, then yes you would have to figure around $6K for basic repairs.
              Walt
              CC80954U '72 TR6 original condition/sold 16.500.
              poolboy rebuilt the Z-S Carbs. Philstr6 rebuilt both rear hubs.

Comment

Originally posted by JonS View Post

Thanks for the help. I won't post again unless/until I get one.
                I may have struck a nerve.
                Don't let me stop you from posting....I can just not read or respond, that would be best.
                Driving a 1973 TR6
                Doing ZS carb repairs

Comment

Jon, also major decisions on your part are to decide what you want to take on time and budget-wise and what your skills are. If you are an electrician, buying a car with a rotten harness isn't a major issue. If a mechanical engineer, you probably could learn all needed to rebuild the engine and other mechanical systems. Can you weld and perform body work and painting? These considerations can determine what kind of car you want to buy, kind of condition it is in. There used to be a list here of folks who will help you look over a car, maybe it is still on this site. Also, you could attend a British car club near you and talk with members to get ideas on what to take on. You are correct that most upgrades and mods are not baselined before and after with dyno data, an added expense. There are some good books out there on how to restore, and how to improve TR6s by Roger Williams with some costs listed but costs may be outdated and purchase good repair manuals. You will find excellent advice and options on this site, too. Finally, most of us, I think, end up buying a car based on price and availability; driving it, then decide what items to restore, repair, and upgrade. It's all based on what you want to do- and Have fun.
                  72 TR6 Sapphire Blue/black, purchased 1988
                  Sequential Fuel injection-Megasquirt3x ECU, Sal Vespertino Supercharger Kit
                  Eaton M62:8.5psi [email protected] MAP, DuPont T5 tranny, GP2 cam, GP roller rockers, PLX AFR wideband, SPAL 16" rad. fan, air/oil separation system w Wagner PCV valve

Comment

When I did the rebuild of my 73 in 2015, jobbing out the machining and assembly of the crank, bearings and rings only, doing everything else myself with great advice from these forums, the cost was around $5000. Nothing fancy, just a rebuild to basically stock spec.
                    It will be better to buy a TR6 that's already been restored (must have full receipts for parts and work!), unless you enjoy wrenching and have the space and tools to do so.
                    CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
                    2nd owner, since 1975
                    Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

Finding a TR6 that has everything done to it could be very costly, if not rare. You really have to know what you are looking at. I would advise you to find the soundness body/frame car you can. The mechanical and interior trim stuff you can tackle in phases or sequence of importance determine in conjunction with budget and your mechanical aptitude and time. The car does not require a huge mechanical skill level or special operating room for most repairs. It does help to have a knowledgeable friend. I agree with bluetr6er , post #11, suggesting you to hook up with the local club or a member that has walked the walk and can talk the talk. Someone you can pester the crap out of and they will welcome you. Some one that will assist you on call. Find that angel and also there are a number of sixpack member sites which take you through a variety of TR6 means and methods fixes.
                      Last edited by TRick6; 01-24-2021, 02:01 PM.
                      Best Therapy
                      http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/AlbertGary.htm
                      Zoom Zoom

Comment

Reference Books and Upgrade Costs

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,326   Posts: 488,526   Members: 13,631   Active Members: 619
                      Welcome to our newest member, Banwoganalk.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                      X