Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Done the Nissan R200B Conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Guys, a quick update to this thread.....

This morning I purchased a R200 differential from a local JDM source for $400 Canadian. It came out of manual 2003-2008 Nissan 350Z and has a 3.538:1 Ratio. I will have to do the machining modifications to it as outlined on the Goodparts website. I’ve ordered the mounting kit as well so that should arrive in the next couple of weeks.

I decided to pick up the Diff locally after doing some math....

From Richard the Diff would have been $600 US plus $100 shipping to my mailbox in Niagara Falls, New York. After that, I’d need to get it across the border...I expect that will cost me an additional $50 Canadian Shipping and $80 in Canadian Taxes.

So, in Total, with taking the currency conversion into account it works out to the following....$890 ( diff and shipping) + 80 + 50 = $1020 Canadian

I will update this thread with the actual machining costs incurred on my $400 Diff and see how the numbers work out in the end.

Cheers,
    Tush
    81 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 81 Triumph TR8, 1973 Ford Capri
    73 Triumph TR6 CF4874UO, 68 Triumph TR250 CD5228LO
    62 Triumph TR4 CT6716LO, 60 Triumph TR3A TS69891LO
    60 Triumph TR3A TS64870LO, 59 Triumph TR3A TS44836LO
    https://www.youtube.com/user/cheftush

Comment

Hey Tush:
      Following my last comment, I recommend that you determine the condition of the R200 clutch pack (the LSD friction discs) before you install that pumpkin. Take it to a shop that refurbishes diff's and ask for an evaluation. The shop should have the spec's for the diff. Guard against the shop making work for itself. They maybe able to test it without opening it but if they open it, have them let you inspect it disassembled or show you pictures of the discs. I wish I had done this, instead of just popping the pumpkin in. As I stated earlier, I am having my spare refurbished this spring and installing it and then refurbishing the one presently in, mitigating down time.
      Last edited by TRick6; 01-10-2021, 09:58 AM.
      Best Therapy
      http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/AlbertGary.htm
      Zoom Zoom

Comment

Hi Al, good idea. The rear cover was off the Diff already as I wanted to inspect the internals for condition before laying out the cash for it. I can have my driveline guy take a look at it when I bring my driveshaft in to be shortened/balanced.

Cheers,
        Tush

Comment

Oh, another question for you R200 guys comes to mind. I’m assuming that the two sensors on the rear of the differential are wheel speed sensors? ( based on the machining of the Diff flanges for optics). What do I do with the connectors? Leave the sensors in place and just cut the cables close to where they enter the sensor? Or, is there something else that’s recommended?

Cheers,
          Tush

Comment

In my case I just cut the cables on the sensors. I also seem to recall that there was a vent line that needed some attention but I can't recall what I had to do.
            73 TR6
            Libertyville, IL
            My TR6

Comment

Originally posted by phil73 View Post
              In my case I just cut the cables on the sensors. I also seem to recall that there was a vent line that needed some attention but I can't recall what I had to do.
              Thanks Phil. There is a vent line on top...I think I’ll just add a length of tubing and extend it downwards a little bit.

Cheers,
              Tush

Comment

Originally posted by Tush View Post
                Thanks Phil. There is a vent line on top...I think I’ll just add a length of tubing and extend it downwards a little bit.

Cheers,
                Tush
                Yes! Now that you mention it that's exactly what I did. A bit of tubing angled towards the ground so water doesn't get in.
                73 TR6
                Libertyville, IL
                My TR6

Comment

I removed the speed sensors completely. My vent was damaged so I replaced it with a 1/2 inch copper tube cap. See pictures. Oh yeah, a new pinion seal might be a good idea also. I did not do any of this and have had no problems with the present diff but the rebuilt one will have all this done.
                  Last edited by TRick6; 01-10-2021, 11:36 PM.
                  Best Therapy
                  http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/AlbertGary.htm
                  Zoom Zoom

Comment

Originally posted by dicta View Post

TRick6 -- I've had my R200 LSD for about 10 years now. Somewhat disappointed to find that the lockup to the weighted tire/wheel is not immediate. (Wheel spin still occurs momentarily when the inside tire is unweighted)
                    I do like the fact that there is no oil drips.

Also had to change the routing of the exhaust pipe, but this is a one-time thing.

A couple of years ago I picked up a vibration when decelerating that drove me up the wall. I actually had to original diff ready to reinstall when I found, after completely removing the LSD, and saw the two countersink screws had come loose from the bracket. (Shown in photo #3 near the orange lube sticker) I retightened using blue thread locker, which I should've done when first installing! I mentioned this to Richard Good, as a FYI.

I'm sure this addition helps the E.T. when auto crossing, if I ever learn how!

Dick
                    Hey Dick what screws are you referring to? You reference photo 3. Where is that?

local guy has been fighting a vibration but unsure if it’s on deceleration?
                    So much rust, so little time

64 TR4 Overdrive Surrey
                    67 GT6 Mk1
                    68 TR250 Soon to have Overdrive & Surrey
                    71 TR6 Hardtop Soon to have OD
                    81 TR8 Injected Automatic...the LAST Automatic

Comment

Originally posted by tr250 View Post

Hey Dick what screws are you referring to? You reference photo 3. Where is that?

local guy has been fighting a vibration but unsure if it’s on deceleration?

I believe he's referring to the two countersunk screws that hold the black mounting plate to the diff (as shown in Al's pic #3)
                      Cheers,
                      76 TR6 CF58170UO (The Lady)
                      72 TR6 CC80068UO (The Slut)
                      68 TR250 CD4893L (retirement project)

Comment

Ah yes makes sense
                        So much rust, so little time

64 TR4 Overdrive Surrey
                        67 GT6 Mk1
                        68 TR250 Soon to have Overdrive & Surrey
                        71 TR6 Hardtop Soon to have OD
                        81 TR8 Injected Automatic...the LAST Automatic

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf76STL View Post

I believe he's referring to the two countersunk screws that hold the black mounting plate to the diff (as shown in Al's pic #3)
                          Cheers,
                          Yep. That's the two screws that came loose on me. Vibration was any time when not accelerating. Worse on deceleration at road speeds. Use Loctite here.

Since it's a chore to get to these two screws, as in removal of the diff, you'll want to check other things first, such as all of the U-joints, exhaust system, etc.

Dick
                          Last edited by dicta; 01-13-2021, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Anyone Done the Nissan R200B Conversion?

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,272   Posts: 488,014   Members: 13,083   Active Members: 614
                          Welcome to our newest member, oceviliy.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X