Broke pinion gear in diff-upgrading to Nissan R200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broke pinion gear in diff-upgrading to Nissan R200

So last week I was out for a short drive and noticed a strange rumbling noise that got progressively louder after every mile. During the drive I diagnosed it as coming from either the diff or a UJ. I got around to dropping the diff yesterday and found this.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2814.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	533101

Name:	IMG_2815.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	5.38 MB
ID:	533102Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2826.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	533103

So now I'm seriously considering to put in a 3.692:1 Nissan "R200B" (as Richard Good calls it) without the limited slip. And of course use RG's conversion kit. Does anyone that has done this conversion have any comments or suggestions? I also have the Toyota W58 gearbox. I know I have to collapse the stock driveshaft by about 2 inches and then lock the splines in place (to keep from 'floating' in and out). Has anyone made this modification to their stock driveshaft and can you share how you locked it into place to keep it from "floating? TIA!
    1972 TR6, CC75294L
    W58 5 speed / Eaglegate conversion
    Goodparts rear hubs, trailing arm brackets and steering rack mounts, Prestige Autowood Hawaiian koa wood dash panel

There is a two-piece shaft locking collar that Herman sent when I purchased my Toyota 5 speed conversion kit from him 15 years ago or so. I still have that collar someplace. I know i have the driveshaft. The collar looks like this one.

https://www.zoro.com/climax-metal-pr...MaArBJEALw_wcB

The engine, tranny and diff were sold long ago. Anyone heard anything from Justin?
    Last edited by TRick6; 06-15-2020, 09:52 PM.
    Best Therapy
    http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/AlbertGary.htm
    Zoom Zoom

Comment

Thanks Al. I got that same (or very similar collar) with the Eaglegate kit when I did the gearbox conversion. I haven't pulled the driveshaft out yet and tried to collapse it by 2" as RG states. Hope that the collar will lock it into place as it does now before collapsing it 2". I'll find out when I can get to it tomorrow or Wednesday.

1972 TR6, CC75294L
      Goodparts rear hubs, trailing arm brackets and steering rack mounts, Prestige Autowood Hawaiian koa wood dash panel

Comment

I have just completed the installation of the R200B with CV axles, and also have an HVDA W58 gearbox. I have not yet had the car out on the road yet, so cant comment on how it behaves, but can already tell the diff turns much more smoothly and with a tiny fraction of the backlash than the stock diff had - so am pretty optimistic of smooth, quiet, clunk-free operation.

As it relates to the installation process, because the R200B differential is different to the earlier R200's, Richards mounting kit is also different. I ran into a few minor issues with fit, that required some additional grinding of a boss off the bottom of the diff, and some very slight re-profiling of the right-rear diff mount, to enable the diff to be installed - neither of these items were in the instructions, but Richard said he would update them.

I guess my only recommendation to you is to seriously consider spending a few hundred dollars more on a solid driveshaft. I believe this has several advantages over kluging the stock driveshaft with the locking collar.

1) It is precision balanced. Many stock driveshafts are out of balance, or, have run-out due to worn splines that make them hard if not impossible to balance.
        2) Richard uses uprated UJs
        3) It is quite a bit lighter than the stock driveshaft

I had the solid driveshaft before the installation of the R200B, and it made a big difference to the smoothness of the drivetrain. Richard can supply one to your precise measurements.
        Keith, Huntsville AL, 1971 CC66559U
        10.0:1 CR gasflowed head | Weber DCOEs | CP "150hp" Cam | Distibutor by Advanced | Lightened flywheel | Phoenix SS Exhaust System | HVDA 5-Speed | Good Parts R200B Diff and CV axles | Good Parts suspension and anti-roll bars | Good Parts Dual Brake Master Cylinder | Konig Rewinds | Boyd 15 gal tank | Miata Seats and Mr Mikes covers | Carl Visser dash | Mohair hood | Gas-strut bonnet and boot lift kits

Comment

• safire6
          safire6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for your insight Keith. I'll seriously consider his solid driveshaft. I don't think mine is out of balance, at least not enough to cause a vibration I can feel.

Well, you broke it all right....You been drag racing Fremont or something ?
        Last edited by poolboy; 06-16-2020, 09:56 AM.
        Driving a 1973 TR6
        Doing ZS carb repairs
        email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

• safire6
          safire6 commented
          Editing a comment
          No but I did pop the clutch a few days before on a slight uphill grade and chirped the tires a bit (by accident of course). That might have done it. I wouldn't have a chance with Tom.

When I added the Nissan diff to the W58, I took masurements and my stock driveshaft to a driveshaft shop, and had it made into a solid driveshaft. Been working great for about 10 years now.

Comment

Originally posted by safire6 View Post
          Thanks Al. I got that same (or very similar collar) with the Eaglegate kit when I did the gearbox conversion. I haven't pulled the driveshaft out yet and tried to collapse it by 2" as RG states. Hope that the collar will lock it into place as it does now before collapsing it 2". I'll find out when I can get to it tomorrow or Wednesday.
          Yes, the driveshaft will collapse but the locking collar will only keep it from collapsing farther. It won't keep it from expanding. You'll need to shorten the drive shaft to limit how far the shaft will move forward, due to the floating drive flange on the W58 gearbox.
          Some prefer to have a one piece driveshaft made to this shortened length. I had mine shortened PLUS use a locking collar so the drive shaft would be collapsed more for extra room when dragging the gearbox rearward during removal. No problem with balance.

Dick

Comment

I pulled the driveshaft out last night. I could collapse it about an inch or so from where it was but I think it will need to go another inch at least. Great suggestion Dick on shortening and using the collar so it can be collapsed more when eventually needing to remove the gearbox. (Which I hope in the next several years won't be necessary!) I think I'll need to have the shaft shortened about 2". Now to find a local shop that can do the work and balance it. I already have a few places to call to do this, thanks to a local enthusiast who did some research for me.
            Last edited by safire6; 06-18-2020, 07:07 PM. Reason: forgot to add thanks
            1972 TR6, CC75294L

Comment

Update: after calling six local salvage yards I bought the Nissan R200B 3.692:1 diff from RG with his conversion kit. Upon opening the very well padded thick cardboard box the diff came in, I found that one of the 'ears' on the left output flange was bent. It was obvious from the machining marks on the flange that the damage occurred during shipment. I texted RG and he said this was a fairly common issue that occurs during shipment (shipment of the diffs to him and also shipment to his customers). He said that he has seen this damage quite often and had never known it to cause any internal damage. He told me to knock the flange out of the diff and send it to him and he would straighten it at no charge. I should get it back from him soon. I removed the rear cover and took some pics. The ring gear teeth are about 40% wider than the stock diff. Like Keith said, there is a fraction of the backlash that the stock diff had. I'm having the stock driveshaft shortened vs. buying a solid one. Hope to get that back in a couple days. The car is prepped and ready for the install. Let's see if I'll need to make the minor mods that Keith had to make to have it fit.

Name:	IMG_2941.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	533777

Name:	IMG_2962.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	533778

Name:	IMG_2969.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	533779Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2966.jpg
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	533780
              stock vs Nissan:

Name:	IMG_2967.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	533781

Name:	IMG_2985.jpg
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	533782Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2869.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	533783

Name:	IMG_2870.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	2.91 MB
ID:	533784
              1972 TR6, CC75294L

Comment

Bummer on the bent flange!

One of the two modifications I had to make was to grind off a boss on the snout of the unit, just behind the input flange, because it interfered with the exhaust pipe.

I run a single, large bore pipe that runs thru the center of the T-shirt. Looks like you have twin pipes, so I believe you might not need to do that mod, as the pipes will (should!) exit the T-Shirt either side of that little boss. This is a pic of that boss, before I ground it off:

Name:	IMG_0832.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	533796
                Keith, Huntsville AL, 1971 CC66559U
                10.0:1 CR gasflowed head | Weber DCOEs | CP "150hp" Cam | Distibutor by Advanced | Lightened flywheel | Phoenix SS Exhaust System | HVDA 5-Speed | Good Parts R200B Diff and CV axles | Good Parts suspension and anti-roll bars | Good Parts Dual Brake Master Cylinder | Konig Rewinds | Boyd 15 gal tank | Miata Seats and Mr Mikes covers | Carl Visser dash | Mohair hood | Gas-strut bonnet and boot lift kits

Comment

Lucas Good is sending the straightened flange back to me tomorrow. I do have twin pipes so hope I don't need to grind that boss off but thanks for the heads up Keith! I hope to do a test fit Friday or Saturday to see if I got clearances where needed. Then wait for the driveshaft to come back before the final install.
                  1972 TR6, CC75294L

Comment

Broke pinion gear in diff-upgrading to Nissan R200

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,943   Posts: 484,091   Members: 9,357   Active Members: 623
                  Welcome to our newest member, KsSasRrbugs.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X