Good Parts CV Axle questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Parts CV Axle questions

Hello folks - firstly, hoping all of you remain fit and healthy!

I'm considering pulling the trigger on a set of GP CV Axles. This is mainly as I believe my stock axles/hubs are on borrowed time. One of the hubs has once again developed noticeable play in it, and I believe I have worn splines on one or both sides. Also, the annual "greasing of the splines" routine is a PITA.

A few questions for those of you that have them:

The GP website indicates some grinding of the TA is necessary - how extensive is this, and what exactly needs to be ground?

I'm assuming that the CV axles are effectively maintenance-free units - or are there any maintenance tasks?

Any noticeable improvements in noise, handling or performance, etc. vs. the stock axles/hubs when in good condition?
    Keith, Huntsville AL, 1971 CC66559U
    10.0:1 CR gasflowed head | Weber DCOEs | CP "150hp" Cam | Distibutor by Advanced | Lightened flywheel | Phoenix SS Exhaust System | HVDA 5-Speed | Good Parts R200B Diff and CV axles | Good Parts suspension and anti-roll bars | Good Parts Dual Brake Master Cylinder | Konig Rewinds | Boyd 15 gal tank | Miata Seats and Mr Mikes covers | Carl Visser dash | Mohair hood | Gas-strut bonnet and boot lift kits

Hi Bama:

I installed the GP CV Axles 10 years ago. From what I could see from inspection, my axles and hubs were in good shape but I had no idea of their history. I upgraded for strength and long term trouble free heavy use.
    1. I had no grinding.
    2. No maintenance has been required.
    3. There was no noticeable changes in noise, handling, or performance.
    I feel this is one of those upgrades that is performed and not have to look to this area ever again.
    Best Therapy
    http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/AlbertGary.htm
    Zoom Zoom

Comment

When I did the installation several years ago, I used a rotary type sander and smoothed the few high spots inside the trailing arm. Not very extensive and with the soft aluminum is went very quickly. I assume CV maintenance would be the same as other CV installations. I installed the Nissan LSD as well as the full axle/hub set up and I think i noticed the LSD more than anything, but it is quieter as the splines were definitely worn. I am glad I don't have the u-joints to fail or become noisy when grease level is low.
      CF28612UO - Pimento/Chestnut/Overdrive/Hardtop
      Folsom, CA - Yeah, near the prison!

Comment

No grinding on mine.

i had my hubs rebuilt by Phil and had new u-joints in the axles. But i wanted a smoother ride for highway traveling. I noticed a much smoother ride after installing them.

Also, I bought mine from Rimmers. Because they were quite a bit cheaper. Of course after shipping, they weren't so much cheaper. And I doubt i can install a Nissan LSD with them should I want to........
        1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1959 Red TR3 (Wife's)

Comment

I also had my axels replaced, this year, with CV's from Rimmer Brothers and no grinding on TA's. My old original axel splines were worn and exhibited a loud "clunk" on take off. The swap to CV's fixed that and I also believe had less friction (from hubs, axels etc.) as my acceleration improved. I don't know the difference between "Good Parts", and Rimmer. Maybe someone here can help answer that.
          1972 TR6 Jasmine Yellow CC79030U
          Purchased in 1973, 3rd owner
          Restored 2009

Comment

Bama:

I should have been more descriptive in my post above. My upgrade was the complete CV Joint Axle and Hub Assembly, not just the hubs. This assembly was mated up to an earlier installed Nissan diff upgrade. Now, as camtr6 mentioned, I too noticed the LSD after its installation; the car just wanted stay straight.
            Best Therapy
            Zoom Zoom

Comment

I also should clarify that i bought the whole shebang from Rimmers. https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RKC454CV
              1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1959 Red TR3 (Wife's)

Comment

Thanks for the comments so far chaps - Seems like the grinding required is pretty minimal, so that is good news. Also, some anecdotal evidence of smoother/quieter operation too, which would be welcome. Mainly I just want a stronger, smoother and safer alternative to stock hubs, along witha minimum of maintenance.

Also appreciate the tips that these are available from Rimmers - I wasn't aware they sold them. Looking at the Good Parts hubs vs the Rimmer alternative, the GP version appears to have a meaty alloy flange on the hub - not sure if that's just the image though. Also, I like the ability to be able to convert to the Nissan Diff, which is on my longtime road map. So, Think I'd be more inclined to source from Good Parts - Not that I've had a problem with Rimmers' quality, but, I did have one item that I wanted to return (a convertible top), and found that process to like pulling teeth. Whereas Richard Good stands by his stuff, and makes things right.

Keith, Huntsville AL, 1971 CC66559U
                10.0:1 CR gasflowed head | Weber DCOEs | CP "150hp" Cam | Distibutor by Advanced | Lightened flywheel | Phoenix SS Exhaust System | HVDA 5-Speed | Good Parts R200B Diff and CV axles | Good Parts suspension and anti-roll bars | Good Parts Dual Brake Master Cylinder | Konig Rewinds | Boyd 15 gal tank | Miata Seats and Mr Mikes covers | Carl Visser dash | Mohair hood | Gas-strut bonnet and boot lift kits

Comment

To add about grinding, I cant' find it now but I think I recall the GP instructions saying your installation "may require" not shall require grinding of the TA. I recall this because I was relieved that when tested I had no movement interference; no material to remove. My only comment about GP return policy is Richard picks up the phone and quickly resolves any conflicts.
                  Best Therapy
                  Zoom Zoom

Comment

A little something to read about the Rimmer product although for these they appear to be a re-seller.

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums...isappointment/

This is also just one persons point of view but just for what it is worth.

Simon

Comment

Here is what i did to mine last week in preparation for frame reassembly hopefully soon!
                      Attached Files
                      Thanks,

Mike

72 TR6 - in the process of frame off resto
                      Planned:
                      HDVA conversion with R200
                      RG's CVC axles
                      Miata seats

Comment

• A Brit in Bama
                        A Brit in Bama commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks Mike - what did you use...a flap wheel?

A small grinding wheel followed by a flap wheel
                      Thanks,

Mike

72 TR6 - in the process of frame off resto
                      Planned:
                      HDVA conversion with R200
                      RG's CVC axles
                      Miata seats

Comment

I installed RG's rear hubs a couple years ago but kept the original axles. I just replaced the U joints in them before I put it all back together. No grinding of the trailing arms needed of Click image for larger version

Name:	RG hub 4.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	530505Click image for larger version

Name:	RG hubs and axles.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	530506 course.

1972 TR6, CC75294L
                        W58 5 speed / Eaglegate conversion
                        Goodparts rear hubs, trailing arm brackets and steering rack mounts, Prestige Autowood Hawaiian koa wood dash panel

Comment

I also had no grinding involved with the installation of the CV axles. I did notice a big improvement in the vibration I had been chasing in the car for years. I made a couple videos of the install.

https://youtu.be/dvEozSbou3k

https://youtu.be/GQ4hqdQTTUQ
                          TRminator 1968 TR250
                          Frame off rotisserie restoration completed by myself and brother in 2014

Comment

Hey Keith, I installed RG's full CV axle sets in both the 76 and the 250. No mods to the TA in both cases. (My 72 already had the CV axles as done by the PO)

Both cars also have the R200 diff and Richard is great to work with. The most noticeable difference in the 76 was a much quieter and smoother ride. (The 250 is still under construction but I'm sure it will have the same smooth ride)

I'd go for the new diff now, (while you're in there), as Richard told me the low mileage ones are getting harder to find. JMHO

Cheers,

Kevin
                            76 TR6 CF58170UO (The Lady)
                            72 TR6 CC80068UO (The Slut)
                            68 TR250 CD4893L (retirement project)

Comment

Good Parts CV Axle questions

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,944   Posts: 484,130   Members: 9,409   Active Members: 648
                            Welcome to our newest member, VTTinsive.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                            X