Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line boring 6 cyl to accept cam bearings

Hi,

I'm looking for a machine shop to line bore my 6 cyl engine to accept cam bearings. Does anyone know of a machine shop in the south west with experience doing this on Triumph engines? Any advice from those who have done this would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Can't offer much advice other than to say this was done to my block when I had the engine rebuilt 5(ish) years ago.

Finding a shop that had a machine big enough to do a straight 6 was quite a challenge for my mechanic and even after he found one he had to wait in line for a couple months before the job was done.
    73 TR6
    Libertyville, IL
    My TR6

Comment

Hi Phil, yes most shops don't have the correct equipment to handle the Triumph 6. Also, according to a machinist on the east coast who does this work it's easy to mess it up, that's why I'm especially interested in finding a shop with experience. If not I'll have to freight it ot the east coast and back which will add considerable cost.

Cheers,

Comment

You might be surprised at the shipping....try FEDX and UPS ground shipping.
        Driving a 1973 TR6
        Doing ZS carb repairs
        email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

My understanding is that Richard Good knows someone and that there is someone near Road America who can do this job.
          1973 TR6 – BRG with beige interior, custom LED lighting
          Hardtop, OD, Rollbar, 15”Koenigs
          Bored, balanced and polished motor with Kastner/TSI S2 Cam
          Header, custom exhaust, custom alternator, e-fan
          Lowered, poly suspension, Konis and rear anti roll-bar
          www.coventrysfinest.blogspot.com

Comment

Roto - I read your thread from the other forum. I think that you are going to find that there are virtually no machine shops that have the capability to line bore our lumps. Diesel shops will probably have mandrels that are long enough but the bores will be significantly larger. I could not find a machine shop in the Atlanta area that would tackle it. I ended up sending mine to Richard Good and had him line bore and install the bearings. I know that you mentioned that he was no longer offering that service because of an issue with freight. I would be tempted to approach him again. Otherwise, there appeared to be a couple of options mentioned on the other thread.
            Tom (aka Hughfree)
            1976 TR-6, BRG, OD, in the midst of a multi-year frame off resto
            1975 TR-6, Carmen red, in storage
            1973 TR-6, White, all original, will be driving soon
            1967 TR-4A, Black, project car
            1974 Spitfire, my Triumph driver until I get a 6 running

Comment

If you're thinking about the shipping route, let me know and I can call the guy who rebuilt my motor and see if I can get the name of the shop in Wisconsin that did the machining. It might well be the same shop mentioned above that's near Road America. I do know that my wait time was driven a lot by all the racing motors the machine shop had queued up.
              73 TR6
              Libertyville, IL
              My TR6

Comment

Shipped my engine to TEd at aTSI on a pallet. And he shipped it back to me. I dropped it off at a terminal in my pick up, and the shipper dropped it in my garage on the pallet. Around $300 each way. From Phoenix to Ohio. Total non event.

Comment

Originally posted by poolboy View Post
                  You might be surprised at the shipping....try FEDX and UPS ground shipping.
                  UPS charges about $150 each way which is fine, but they have a 150lbs limit. Richard Good had built a custom box which he considered to be the bare minimum for shipping the blocks safely, and the combined weight of block and box was under 150lbs on his scales. He was shipping that box to customers and they were shipping the blocks back to him in the box The problem is that his local UPS twice charge him a huge "over weight" fine, and hence he no longer wants to offer that service. I looked into freight but it would have to be tailgate service at his end which means around $400 each way.
                  I've received a couple of leads closer to home so I'll follow up on those first.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Comment

Call heavy diesel repair shops and ask where they take their engines for machining, a lot of inline 6 diesel blocks out there.

I suggest everyone familiarize themselves with Fastenal store to store shipping. Basically, you put your heavy item on a pallet and take it to your local fastenal which then ships it to a fastenal store nearest to the recipient. I've sent engines from MI to Florida for $150...

Closed at the moment but they're great. https://www.fastenal.com/en/4590/blue-lane-freight

Comment

We still offer line boring of six cylinder blocks for cam bearings. We do this in house using equipment we designed specifically for the job. You may ship to me via UPS and you may arrange UPS return shipping on your UPS account. However, after UPS charged me an $850 fee for a block shipment that they claimed to be one pound over their 150 limit, I will no longer ship blocks on my UPS account. You also have the option of arranging shipment by freight .

Richard Good
                      Good Parts Inc

Comment

Originally posted by RichardLGood View Post
                        We still offer line boring of six cylinder blocks for cam bearings. We do this in house using equipment we designed specifically for the job. You may ship to me via UPS and you may arrange UPS return shipping on your UPS account. However, after UPS charged me an $850 fee for a block shipment that they claimed to be one pound over their 150 limit, I will no longer ship blocks on my UPS account. You also have the option of arranging shipment by freight .

Richard Good
                        Good Parts Inc
                        Hi Richard, I hope I wasn't giving the impression that you were no longer offering the service, that wasn't my intention. I may well UPS my block to you if I can get around to building a suitable shipping box.

Thanks!

Comment

Line boring 6 cyl to accept cam bearings

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,944   Posts: 484,130   Members: 9,410   Active Members: 648
                        Welcome to our newest member, Jackietrabe.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X