Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a TR6 mechanic/guru in SE Florida

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Looking for a TR6 mechanic/guru in SE Florida

    Bought a 1974 TR6 a few months back. Runs good, not great. I am tinkering in the garage and enjoying learning under the hood. Looking to find a good brit mechanic or any folks local to Stuart, FL

  • #2
    What's it need?
    Carbs?
    Walt
    CC80954U '72 TR6 original condition/sold 16.500.
    poolboy rebuilt the Z-S Carbs. Philstr6 rebuilt both rear hubs.

    Comment


    • #3
      What’s it doing? They are simple cars, you can pretty much do everything yourself if you are mechanically inclined with our help and a couple of manuals. If it’s carbs there is a simple solution.
      I72 Pimento w/overdrive

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks for the replies fellows. Primary concern at the moment is lower compression on #2. I have 140/90/142/146/145/142 lbs front to back. #2 only goes up to 100 lbs with heavy oil in the cylinder so not clear if that means rings or valves. Also, it does not like to restart when good and hot. Boiling gas in the float? not sure. Thinking of a heat shield between carbs and exhaust manifold, or heat wrap. Thoughts?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ahoch View Post
          Thanks for the replies fellows. Primary concern at the moment is lower compression on #2. I have 140/90/142/146/145/142 lbs front to back. #2 only goes up to 100 lbs with heavy oil in the cylinder so not clear if that means rings or valves. Also, it does not like to restart when good and hot. Boiling gas in the float? not sure. Thinking of a heat shield between carbs and exhaust manifold, or heat wrap. Thoughts?
          Two separate issues, on the compression - I would run a dosage of Seafoam through it first and see if you have a stuck ring or crud in a valve seat. The easiest way is to add it to the tank and run it through as the instructions say. How does the #2 plug look versus #1 & #3?

          On the carbs, a heat shield will help but the carbs are probably out of adjustment.
          I72 Pimento w/overdrive

          Comment


          • #6
            Good idea on the Seafoam, will try that this week, thanks. #2 plug doesn't show any different from 1 and 3, though I check them pretty frequently. Maybe if I let them go a while something would show itself. As I said, I'm learning under the hood as I go, so I think I have the carbs balanced but surely there is some room for improvement. Also, I have merely set the timing by ear. May be a contributing factor.

            So lfm, in your opinion the low compression on 2 and hard start hot are not related?

            Thank you for you help and Merry Christmas.

            Comment


            • #7
              The hard start suggests the ignition timing is not ideal. Try vacuum gauge timing.
              With 90psi compression on #2, your engine should still run okay; may burn some oil.
              Walt
              CC80954U '72 TR6 original condition/sold 16.500.
              poolboy rebuilt the Z-S Carbs. Philstr6 rebuilt both rear hubs.

              Comment


              • #8
                What spark plugs are in the engine ?
                The 74 cars had the most complex emission plumbing since the 69 cars...If not in original configuration and if modified, but not properly there'll be problems...not related to a burned or sticky valve causing low compression, but problems nonetheless.
                Last edited by poolboy; 12-24-2018, 10:34 AM.
                Driving a 1973 TR6
                Doing ZS carb repairs
                email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Plugs are Champion RN12YC, Original spec I think and the emissions equipment is still all intact from the looks of it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Ok..if conditions allow, take the car out for a drive..See if you can do about 40 miles keeping the rpms at least 2200 rpms even if it means using some of your lower gears. Avoid stop and go and idling...maybe hit the Interstate...remove the spark plugs and tell us how they look or better yet take a picture and post it.
                    Driving a 1973 TR6
                    Doing ZS carb repairs
                    email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	597.0 KB
ID:	518280Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	534.0 KB
ID:	518281
                      Originally posted by ahoch View Post
                      Plugs are Champion RN12YC, Original spec I think and the emissions equipment is still all intact from the looks of it.
                      If you're not sure you can compare what you have to these 2 illustrations for the 74 from the Moss catalog:
                      Driving a 1973 TR6
                      Doing ZS carb repairs
                      email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ahoch View Post
                        Bought a 1974 TR6 a few months back. Runs good, not great. I am tinkering in the garage and enjoying learning under the hood. Looking to find a good brit mechanic or any folks local to Stuart, FL
                        You are in luck, as there is a fabulous TRiumph mechanic right in Stuart. His name is Glen Efinger. His shop phone is seven seven two-two eight three-seven seven zero zero. Shop address is 3181 SE Dominica Terrace in Stuart.

                        Comment


                        • ahoch
                          ahoch commented
                          Editing a comment
                          follow up here, Glen had the car 3 days, ran through it mechanically, tore out all of the emissions equipment with my blessing and reset up the carbs to run without. Also fixed a frozen mechanical advance and a handful of other minor offenses. Thanks again for the tip Elwood, Glen is great!

                      • #13
                        thanks pool, I'll run her down the island on Wednesday or Thursday and then take a look and post a pic of them.

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Originally posted by Elwood View Post

                          You are in luck, as there is a fabulous TRiumph mechanic right in Stuart. His name is Glen Efinger. His shop phone is seven seven two-two eight three-seven seven zero zero. Shop address is 3181 SE Dominica Terrace in Stuart.
                          Man thats great news Elwood, thanks. Thats all of 5 miles from my house. I'll contact him. I'd like someone that really knows their stuff to give her a good once over so I can do my tinkering from a good baseline.

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            Originally posted by poolboy View Post
                            Ok..if conditions allow, take the car out for a drive..See if you can do about 40 miles keeping the rpms at least 2200 rpms even if it means using some of your lower gears. Avoid stop and go and idling...maybe hit the Interstate...remove the spark plugs and tell us how they look or better yet take a picture and post it.
                            Here are the plugs after 35 miles of mostly 2200 - 2500 rpms. They are in great shape. Maybe it was my imagination, but she seemed to idle and run smoother on a dose of Seafoam (about 1.5 oz. per gal) within a few miles. I plan to run through the majority of the tank of Seafoam, then will recheck compression on #2.

                            Comment

                            Looking for a TR6 mechanic/guru in SE Florida

                            Collapse

                            Search

                            Collapse

                            There are no results that meet this criteria.

                            6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

                            Collapse

                            Topics: 38,726   Posts: 481,769   Members: 8,397   Active Members: 267
                            Welcome to our newest member, ajiupoconiiv.

                            Upcoming Events

                            Collapse

                            Working...
                            X