Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BaulyCars - Steering Column Lifter Bracket

Hello Everyone,

I’m pleased to introduce our new Steering Column Lifter Bracket, which raises the steering wheel height in your TR6 – an improved driving position with a little more clearance above the knees.

Stock now available on our new website.

www.BaulyCars.com

Any queries on the bracket, or interest in what we’re up to, please get in touch through the website or email us at [email protected]

Many Thanks!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	White_Background_Logo_New-removebg-preview.png Views:	0 Size:	44.9 KB ID:	548678

Last edited by BaulyCars; 06-17-2022, 09:55 AM.

Have any photos of one installed?

Comment

Originally posted by DanB360 View Post
      Have any photos of one installed?
      Looks intriguing, I too would like to see more.
      CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
      2nd owner, since 1975
      Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

Hello DanB360, baws, and visitors to our website, thank you for your interest,

We have added a Technical Details page dedicated to the lifter bracket to show photos and descriptions at various stages of installation.

https://BaulyCars.com/Technical-Details/

Also added some development photos of the bracket design for interest.

I hope that shows the bracket photos and information you were after, but please do let me know if you wish to see anything else or have any further queries.

Many Thanks,
        Click image for larger version

Name:	White_Background_Logo_New-removebg-preview-3.png
Views:	75
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	548700

Comment

Does the wooden dash and metal backing plate have to be modified to allow the higher column mounting?
          CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
          2nd owner, since 1975
          Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

Hello baws,

No modification is required to the metal backing plate (we could have decided to go higher, but specifically wanted to avoid having to cut into the metal).

However, a little material needs to be sanded on the wooden dash opening - in theory this too could be avoided by having a bracket that's less tall (we tried this with one of the earlier bracket revisions), but the change in steering wheel height becomes a little marginal.

Its very slight though, I measured it as 3-4mm (there is a picture of the before and after sanding at the very bottom of the Technical Page, I could send you this directly if you like), but I've continued to fettle mine since (call it 5mm) to introduce a tiny gap between wood and steering column for the sake of avoiding rubbing/squeaks.

I used a rotary tool (Dremel) initially, then changed to a little sandpaper wrapped around a wooden dowel to get a nice round edge - took a matter of minutes (although I deliberated how to do it for some hours...!)

Comment

• baws
              baws commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for that info!

• Philstr6
              Philstr6 commented
              Editing a comment
              did this effect the ignition key
              thanks Phil

Hello Philstrg,

Thanks for the query, the ignition key remains usable as before and there's no change to how it clamps to the steering column.

After the metal dash, the ignition key is the next item which dictates how high you can go with the clamp, so we've factored that in.

Name:	File_000(2).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	548730

I hope that answers your query, but do please let me know anything further.

Really keen to share just what a great difference it makes to the car.

Many Thanks,

Name:	White_Background_Logo_New-removebg-preview.png
Views:	61
ID:	548731

Last edited by BaulyCars; 06-20-2022, 11:03 AM.

Comment

When you are driving straight, how do the steering wheel spokes align with the dash gauges now... obstructing the view of the speedo and tach ?
              Driving a 1973 TR6
              Doing ZS carb repairs
              email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

Hello poolboy,

Thanks for the query,

Attached is a before and after shot showing the line of sight to the gauge cluster.

Here I'm sat in the same position, head looking forwards, and taking the photo by holding my phone to my head (with the lens at eye height).

Fortunately the factory position places the gauges with some room to spare above the spokes of the steering wheel.

I'm able to see the entirety of the gauges, even the bottomost warning bulbs in the gauges.

Of course, there are lots of variables, but the ergonomics seem to check out well.

For me, moving the steering wheel up was initially just to give more room above the knees, but I then found I could get a better mix between where the seat, pedals, knees and hand heights are. The steering action also feels like more of a natural 'arms' action and there's more room to let hands pass the knees when turning. All subtle effects really but make a good bit of difference.

I really appreciate the queries and hope the photos show it well enough, do please let me know anything further.

Name:	Before view from drivers eyes.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	548736

Name:	After view from drivers eyes.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	548737

Many thanks!

Name:	White_Background_Logo_New-removebg-preview.png
Views:	54
ID:	548738

Comment

• poolboy
                  poolboy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you.

BaulyCars - Steering Column Lifter Bracket

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 40,033   Posts: 494,459   Members: 56,913   Active Members: 138
              Welcome to our newest member, julian30.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

• Sep 10
                01:00 AM | The annual British Car Day in Cincinnati is September 11th.

Live music, food, and beer trucks

Two new classes added, British...
              • No more items.
              Working...
              X