Harbor Freight Jack Stand Recall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbor Freight Jack Stand Recall

Just in case anyone is using these, please be aware.

https://images.harborfreight.com/hft...1196_61197.pdf

Cheers
    Tush
    81 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 81 Triumph TR8
    73 Triumph TR6 CF4874UO, 68 Triumph TR250 CD5228LO
    62 Triumph TR4 CT6716LO, 60 Triumph TR3A TS69891LO
    60 Triumph TR3A TS64870LO, 59 Triumph TR3A TS44836LO
    https://www.youtube.com/user/cheftush

Just looked at my (4) Harbor Freight jack stands- 61196- was crawling around under the TR6 for three to four years using them.

You do need to make sure the latching is fully engaged.

I guess a proper idiot could screw up anything.

If the arm/pawl got kicked, the pedestal could drop to its lowest level (shown). Thanks for the notice, Tush. I'll keep them, they're pretty good stands.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF1166 (1).JPG Views:	0 Size:	252.3 KB ID:	532250
    Last edited by SapphireBlue72; 05-19-2020, 10:09 PM.
    Walt
    CC80954U '72 TR6 original condition/sold 16.500.
    poolboy rebuilt the Z-S Carbs. Philstr6 rebuilt both rear hubs.

Comment

I have a pair of 3 ton, purchased ~ 2005, that appear (to me) to be of the same construction. P/N however is 69597. I will attempt to get clarification from HF.
      Attached Files

Comment

I had the 61196 stands, and had been using them for about three years with no issues. But to my knowledge, I never caused the shift in weight that HF references in the recall. I decided to return them anyway. HF made it easy and I walked out with a gift card for the retail value of the stands, plus a 20% coupon. It was interesting that they had a lot of stands on the recall list still on the shelf, but the recall doesn't include anything sold after the end of April.

My son is a firefighter/EMT, and told me he has been to several calls where a car has fallen on someone because they weren't using the proper support. That helped me decide to buy an EZ Car Lift.
        Pete, Collierville TN
        1976 CF54385 U
        A rolling resto in progress...

Comment

On another forum, folks were saying that these were "death traps" because they don't have a locking chain & pin to set through the post.
          I agree, it would be better to have a locking chain on any jack stands you use.
          Something to consider.
          Last edited by SapphireBlue72; 05-23-2020, 11:53 AM.
          Walt

Comment

Took 4 back yesterday offered replacement settled for no hassle gift card

Comment

Originally posted by tr6nitjulius View Post
              Took 4 back yesterday offered replacement settled for no hassle gift card
              What kind of replacement was offered? Only gift card or actual replacement jack stands?

I read some more about this recall.
              Apparently there is an issue with the metal casting of the pawl that supports the upright post- perhaps a poor quality alloy metal was used (since 2012) which can snap.

So, I will be returning mine.
              It is more serious than I initially thought--- it is not so much a design problem as a metallurgy issue.
              Last edited by SapphireBlue72; 05-27-2020, 05:48 PM.
              Walt

Comment

• Mikerla
                Mikerla commented
                Editing a comment
                The recall gave you full retail price for the jack stands and a "20%" coupon which we all know you can get all day long by searching HF Digital Coupons on the web. Be prepared that when you go to HF they won't have any jack stands in stock. Check out the Pro-LifT on Amazon. These have a secondary lock as well.

• SapphireBlue72
                SapphireBlue72 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you. Yes, the secondary lock/pin through the post is essential.

Checking out my current HF posts- some of the notches are level, or even cut the wrong way, so the pawl could slip away from the notch.

Took 2 back to HF last week and was given an immediate refund to my credit card, with a smile.
              1976 Pimento/black
              VTO alloy "Minilites"
              Dolly Parton's removed
              GoodParts Nissan Diff and CV axles
              Carbs by Poolboy

Comment

Harbor Freight Jack Stand Recall

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,848   Posts: 483,207   Members: 8,807   Active Members: 533
              Welcome to our newest member, Emogenlink.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

Working...
              X