RATCO announces the Ford 302 V8 compatible Frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RATCO announces the Ford 302 V8 compatible Frame

RATCO now has a new frame which will allow you to drop a Ford 302 into your TR4A or TR6 with no sheet metal alterations required.

Check our the photos at www.RAT-CO.com

Oh my...this is tempting !
    Jim / NW Ohio
    "Tillie"... a '74 dressed like a '69 / CF14608U
    Blog: www.trippstr6.blogspot.com

Comment

Expensive though You are at $6800 for the frame and a shipping pallet...and, that’s without any additional options like powder coating/foam fill etc...

I was looking at their frames a few days ago when someone on one of my videos suggested I should buy one...so, I did some math. For me just to buy the standard frame and have it shipped to me would be between 12-$13000 when factoring in the exchange rates and taxes etc...

Cheers
      Tush
      81 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 81 Triumph TR8, 1973 Ford Capri
      73 Triumph TR6 CF4874UO, 68 Triumph TR250 CD5228LO
      62 Triumph TR4 CT6716LO, 60 Triumph TR3A TS69891LO
      60 Triumph TR3A TS64870LO, 59 Triumph TR3A TS44836LO
      https://www.youtube.com/user/cheftush

Comment

Sounds like a road trip to pick one up would be well worth it.

Geoff
        1972 TR6 - Restoration in work

Comment

To know you have a solid and well designed frame under you would be comforting before pressing the loud pedal on a V8 TR6...
          I'm trying recall any TR6s I've seen with dead engines and frames but decent bodies....

Comment

Originally posted by Tush View Post
            Expensive though You are at $6800 for the frame and a shipping pallet...and, that’s without any additional options like powder coating/foam fill etc...

I was looking at their frames a few days ago when someone on one of my videos suggested I should buy one...so, I did some math. For me just to buy the standard frame and have it shipped to me would be between 12-$13000 when factoring in the exchange rates and taxes etc...

Cheers
            Tush
            Dave,

I understand your frustration, however, the current exchange rate between Canadian and American currencies is a product of our government's incompetence. Trudeau has driven deficits through the roof spending money we don't have on God knows what like the fool that he is. This after Paul Martin had the courage to slay the deficit for 10 years straight give or take while he was finance minister under Chretien. In addition, Harper was an idiot because he staked the entire Canadian economy on natural resources (the easy play). Now that the commodities boom has died and our debt is out of control, the value of the Canadian dollar has tanked against the greenback. Needless to say, this is not Ratco's doing, That one is on us. Though I will be the first to admit that the current exchange rate is too low when you just look ar the cost of things. A more "balanced" exchange rate would probably be around 85 cents.

And just to give some context, (and sticker shock), I'm still chipping away at my home renovation. I need a new set of stairs from the main floor to the second floor and the main floor to the basement. Main stair case is L shaped. Total rise = 8'-6". Basement stairs are straight with a drop of 8'-6" as well. Stairs are to be open riser, quarter sawn oak with glass panel railings.

Supply and install on structures I am to provide. Guy (Premiere Stairs of Missisauga) said it would take them 1 day to install.

$36,125.00 including H.S.T. (Quote received last week.)

I almost had a heart attack.

I could buy a brand new Honda Accord for less. Or a Toyota Tacoma.

There's way more work in a Ratco frame than a set of wood stairs.

​​​​​​I've toyed with the idea of a Ratco frame for my car, and one day when this renovation is over (and finished draining my bank account) I will pull the trigger on it. I would, however, drive down and pick it up. I just need a cube van. I had wondered about renting one from Home Depot as their rates and the quality of their rigs are very good. I just don't know about insurance when crossing the border. Or if HD would not want their cube vans heading into the USA. No need to pallet the frame either, just tie it down inside the van. Obviously, you'd need to pay the HST no matter what. But that's the law and that one is just.

I don't think I'd convert my existing car to a Ford 5.0, however, I can see the attraction. Maybe buy another TR6 and do that one. It would be an interesting project! I like the idea of a modern 5.0 Coyote engine in a TR6. Ideally find a new Mustang that was written off because you'd need a lot more than just the motor. Either that or crate engine plus a manual transmission as well as all the computer system and wiring harnesses, fuel injection system.

Hmmmm.

Last edited by ChandlerEast; 05-03-2020, 06:49 AM.

Comment

• TRick6
              TRick6 commented
              Editing a comment
              You are so right, when you do an engine conversion you have to bring everything (engine and body harness) from the donor so the ECM thinks it is still in the original car. It will not work unless you trick it.

Originally posted by Bob @ RATCO View Post
            RATCO now has a new frame which will allow you to drop a Ford 302 into your TR4A or TR6 with no sheet metal alterations required.

Check our the photos at www.RAT-CO.com
            LS seems to be the standard nowadays. 302s are a bit - dare I say - old fashioned.

If you are going to do this I'd urge you to either modify the diff mounts so that the Q45 diff (a la Richard Good) bolts right up without that adapter he sells or built it to use something else that can take the grunt.

Consider the diff from a new style GTO - it's narrow, LSD, and can take the power. a V8 with the mounts to bolt in a differential that won't grenade would be quite the selling point. You could then add CV halfshafts and uprated hubs as a value add.

Of course if I were asking I'd say also build trailing arms out of tubular steel with a stud mounting face that isn't made from swiss cheese that bolt to the standard mounting points.

I'm really not that interesting...

Comment

RATCO announces the Ford 302 V8 compatible Frame

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,743   Posts: 492,180   Members: 48,401   Active Members: 6,783
            Welcome to our newest member, epaquveyczem.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
            X