Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clutch Master Cylinder alternatives?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Clutch Master Cylinder alternatives?

    My 3 year old clutch master cylinder is failing, and I'm wondering if anyone has fitted anything other than the readily available reproduction parts? 3 years is a pretty short life in my opinion, and while I am grateful that there are parts still available for our cars, I would prefer something higher quality if there is something available. My car is highly modified, so originality isn't an issue for me. THANKS for any and all information.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Elwood View Post
    My 3 year old clutch master cylinder is failing, and I'm wondering if anyone has fitted anything other than the readily available reproduction parts? 3 years is a pretty short life in my opinion, and while I am grateful that there are parts still available for our cars, I would prefer something higher quality if there is something available. My car is highly modified, so originality isn't an issue for me. THANKS for any and all information.
    Irv --- By failing, do you mean it's leaking fluid down on your Nikes? Fluid level going down in the reservoir? Clutch not disengaging completely?

    Yes, three years is a short life time for any CMC. I'm on my second one in 47 years, tho admit that the seals have been replaced maybe a half dozen times. (I no longer have the slave cylinder, but that should make no difference.)
    I get my MC rebuild kits from TRF. So long as the bore looks good, new seals should work.

    Dick

    Comment


    • #3
      TRF supplies TRW M/Cs, and I just installed one of these because I needed a new clevis which was NLA from TRF. Rimmer Bros. might have another brand; they do have the original cap in aluminum and also a clevis with special wide bearing area for longevity. No, the TRW won't take the original aluminum lid.

      As Dick says, the originals should be OK if the bore is smooth; some pitting will occur beyond the piston seal range of movement, no problem. My original came out just now, after 48,000 miles / 10 years since its last repair kit and years of ultra minor seepage. It's on the shelf with a new seal kit and clevis rod in case the TRW craps out.

      FWIW, I use silicone fluid.

      Tom

      Comment


      • #4
        Same here, I average about 10 years between rebuilds, using original Girling master cylinders, for both clutch and brake systems, and run silicone fluid as well.
        I have 2 of each master cylinders that get rotated as needed.
        CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
        2nd owner, since 1975
        Now in Fair Oaks, CA

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by dicta View Post

          Irv --- By failing, do you mean it's leaking fluid down on your Nikes? Fluid level going down in the reservoir? Clutch not disengaging completely?

          Dick
          Yes, Dick. So far the clutch is still working, but there's a puddle on the floor. Level was down by about an inch when I checked it over the weekend.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ima68tr View Post
            TRF supplies TRW M/Cs, and I just installed one of these because I needed a new clevis which was NLA from TRF.
            Tom
            Mine is a TRW. I did not use silicone brake fluid in it, as I have the HVDA conversion with hydraulic throw out bearing, and Quartermaster states not to use silicone. When I looked at BPNW's website, they had 2 different MC's for the TR6. One is the TRW/Lucas, don't know what the other one is.

            Comment


            • #7
              Pegasus you probably heard of them.
              https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/ad...ryID=MASTERCYL
              Driving a 1973 TR6
              Doing ZS carb repairs
              email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by poolboy View Post
                Pegasus you probably heard of them.
                https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/ad...ryID=MASTERCYL
                Wow, Ken. Great find. THANK YOU. I have not only heard of them, I have been there ( a very long time ago).

                Comment


                • #9
                  A new question for the collective. I just found a brand new genuine Girling clutch master complete with aluminum (aluminium?) cap in my parts stash. I had it wrapped in plastic, so it is clean. Is it reasonable to think that the seals are dried out and/or cracked, and that I should install a rebuild kit before using this? Thanks.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Irv,

                    Easy enough to open it up and check the rubber flexibility. I always have rebuilt spares for most hydraulics sitting on my parts shelf. I grease the spares with Girling red rubber grease before storage to keep them supple. If you need my spare lemmie know offline..

                    MK
                    1974 TR-6 Logic Overdrive

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Just keep an eye out for Lockheed rebuild kits. They’re out there.
                      So much rust, so little time

                      64 TR4 Overdrive Surrey
                      67 GT6 Mk1
                      68 TR250 Soon to have Overdrive & Surrey
                      71 TR6 Hardtop Soon to have OD
                      81 TR8 Injected Automatic...the LAST Automatic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Mike K View Post
                        Irv,

                        Easy enough to open it up and check the rubber flexibility. I always have rebuilt spares for most hydraulics sitting on my parts shelf. I grease the spares with Girling red rubber grease before storage to keep them supple. If you need my spare lemmie know offline..

                        MK
                        Thanks, Mike.

                        Comment

                        Clutch Master Cylinder alternatives?

                        Collapse

                        Search

                        Collapse

                        There are no results that meet this criteria.

                        6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

                        Collapse

                        Topics: 38,726   Posts: 481,769   Members: 8,397   Active Members: 267
                        Welcome to our newest member, ajiupoconiiv.

                        Upcoming Events

                        Collapse

                        Working...
                        X