Engine Performance Parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BEB73 View Post

Like the guy 15 or so years ago that offered a new high lift roller rocker set priced substantially below the at the time new GP roller rockers. He sold a couple sets, took orders, then vanished. Read of some failures a bit later but honestly don't know if any of those sets are still around.
    The "legendary" Jim Swartout. Most well known for vanishing and also for calling Ashford a "little blue smurf".

Comment

I didn't realize I had a camp. I was referring to new designs that are at this point essentially unproven - far from the CP or DCOE's.
      You can be in my camp if you want - membership is free! We can call it The TR5/250/6 Nirvana Camp. You might lose some friends in the WOS Camp though ( Wheezy Old Strombergs ) .

Sorry, just can't help myself .

Tom

Comment

We know and this is to accompany you as float above us.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdZ5wY9XxdA
        Driving a 1973 TR6
        Doing ZS carb repairs
        email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

My buddy, RetiredTrTech's previous 73 was probably pumping out at leasr 150 horses, it was wickedly fast, a hell of a lot faster than my 6, and it had 2, Wheezy Old Strombergs Tom.
          It's still around up here in Sac, still running, so though it was a pumped up engine, it isn't an fragmentation grenade. I do know the CR was 10.5/1.
          CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
          2nd owner, since 1975
          Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

I have 3 ZS carbs so the wheeze isn't too bad. With the DCOE's - I've heard that the Italian models are the best, but avoid those from what - Spain? or Argentina? Curious

Comment

I have 3 ZS carbs so the wheeze isn't too bad. With the DCOE's - I've heard that the Italian models are the best, but avoid those from what - Spain? or Argentina? Curious
              Just poking fun.

Nothing wrong with Strombergs, really, and for the emissions engines their solutions were priced right and worked, for a while at least. I can't think of any really exciting cars that had them though, except the Lotus Elan which rated its engines the same whether they had Weber or ZS carbs.

The wrinkle with (3) on an inline 6 is that the inlet pairs don't synchronize well with the draft pulsations. Jaguar supposedly fitted a different needle to the center carb when using (3) to compensate. So I contend that a nice running engine with 3 single barrel carbs will run better with 3 duals which give the single runner advantage. This alleviates the need to go with wilder cams and higher compression for the same output. Weber conversions on Jags are commonplace for that reason and even BMW CS, Bavaria and others are being converted, even from fuel injection.

As for Spanish Webers, I haven't come across anything damning about them, and plenty are fitted to TRs with very happy owners. I would pass on the FAJS copies and even Dellortos for that matter as genuine DCOEs are still in production. Italians are [ almost ] always used and I have (3) such sets plus (2) NOS. The last set is the latest Italian made 151s which, like the Spanish, have the most bells and whistles ( you can synch the idles to a gnat's eyebrow ). But I'm running the oldest set on my driver, 130K miles and counting and an NOS set on my show car.

As mentioned many times, these TR engines need long duration cams + C/R increase to make use of anything more than a pair of Strombergs. Finally, for a stock engine my strong preference is for the original Strombergs every time.

Tom

Comment

• BEB73
                BEB73 commented
                Editing a comment
                I totally agree with you. The DCOE's have been the gold standard I my mind for ever. They would have cost me a small fortune, though, considering the corresponding purchase for the wife.
                The complaint I remember from a non-Italian version had to do with threads & fitment issues. And he wasn't pleased! It's been a while, though. THX

Originally posted by ima68tr View Post

Just poking fun.

Nothing wrong with Strombergs, really, and for the emissions engines their solutions were priced right and worked, for a while at least. I can't think of any really exciting cars that had them though, except the Lotus Elan which rated its engines the same whether they had Weber or ZS carbs.

Tom
              I dunno Tom, my 68 E-Type is kind of exciting and she's only got 2, ZS's to quench the thirst of 4.2 liters. Still pretty quick too!
              On the Jag, the dashpots were originally sealed from the factory.

CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
              2nd owner, since 1975
              Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

RJB please keep going! I posted a comment, only to try and be helpful not to challenge or question. There are lots of opinions and camps on this and other forums, more than there are dyno charts! I posted mine in the past, some of the most opinionated have yet to do the same, ignore them, I do and it makes my visits to the forum more enjoyable.
                PS Scream if you get over to this side of Lake Michigan!
                Best wishes
                Steve
                Racine, WI

Comment

Engine Performance Parts

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,726   Posts: 481,767   Members: 8,397   Active Members: 267
                Welcome to our newest member, ajiupoconiiv.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

Working...
                X