No announcement yet.

Pancake Air Filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance report (lack of). Actually, I needed to drill more holes in the filter backing/mounting plates for the carbs to breath correctly. The valve chamber outlet on the upper left side, and for some slot just under the top mounting hole, which I found was needed as well. Without these, the car ran horribly after it warmed up, like it was drowning in fuel, carbs loading up when coming to a stop etc. So much for the vendor saying these were designed for the Strombergs.

Comment

I came across an old posting from my PO who found that the recommended E-2540's were a little to tall for the airbox. Here are his findings, hope this helps:

'Most K&N catalogs I have seen (in North America) have a listing for the TR6.
      It is part number E-2540. I'm surprised K&N gave a different part number.
      This is the filter the NA vendors like TRF, Moss et al sell. I ordered a
      pair of these from TRF some time back and found they do not properly fit the
      air cleaner housing as they are too tall. Upon comparing with my old Fram
      elements I found the K&Ns were 2-3/16' tall whereas the Frams were 2'
      exactly. When I tried to tighten the air cleaner housing to the carbs I
      found that it would not seal completely. The elements were getting
      compressed and distorted but still there was a slight gap in the housing. I
      sent them back to TRF after informing them of my problem (no problem on
      their part, they took them back and issued prompt credit). I think the
      filter they recommended which is 2-1/4' tall will also be to tall to fit the
      stockhousing.

I then searched the K&N catalog for a filter which would be better match.
      (The catalog is nice in that they have the filters sorted in several ways,
      one of which was by dimensions, so this task was pretty easy). I found the
      E-3360 is the closest match. Dimensions are 7' od x 5-3/16' id x 2' tall.
      Although I have ordered a pair from a local vendor, they are not a common
      size and have not arrived yet. But I think they will be the right fit. They
      have a larger ID than the Frams but that should not matter.

Note: the above assumes the stock filter housing is desired.'

Comment

Performance report (lack of). Actually, I needed to drill more holes in the filter backing/mounting plates for the carbs to breath correctly. The valve chamber outlet on the upper left side, and for some slot just under the top mounting hole, which I found was needed as well. Without these, the car ran horribly after it warmed up, like it was drowning in fuel, carbs loading up when coming to a stop etc. So much for the vendor saying these were designed for the Strombergs.
        Try using the original air box as a template for locating the necessary holes.

Comment

...this is what I bought and it should fit...I guess...at lease it has the correct three holes and hardware:

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?searchinresults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&Ntt=56-1620

Heel

Comment

Well if it only has the same 3 holes in the back plate as what I see in the ad. it won't unless you drill holes to match the vent holes on the carb's air filter mounting flange, Heel.
            You'll have to do what Dallas said.
            Driving a 1973 TR6
            Doing ZS carb repairs
            email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

...K & N backplate (one) w/gasket compared to the stock backplate w/gaskets:

...this K & N filter is 1-3/4' tall vs. the 2' tall stock filter.....it won't work as a replacement filter.

Heel

....the K & N has spacers for each of the three bolts, as does the stock filter per side.

Comment

Pancake Air Filters

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,859   Posts: 493,134   Members: 56,868   Active Members: 174
              Rovercooper
              Welcome to our newest member, Rovercooper.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X