Pancake Air Filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pancake Air Filters

Just found a UK source for carb filters similar to the popular, and pricey, K&N types. Outfit called Speedograph. Just bought a pair for my double Z's, with pound/dollar conversion as of today and S&H, came to ~ $45

Edit: more like $40, not $45

Do they look like this? :arrow: http://search.ebay.com/ebaymotors/search/search.dll?GetResult&itemid=250416387078&itemsiteid=100&itemstate=1&query=NEW+SPEEDOGRAPH+AIR+FILTER+SU+CARBURETOR+BRI TISH+MG+TR&sibeleafcat=43946&sim=y&ssPageName=VINS%3ASIM

Comment

Just found a UK source for carb filters similar to the popular, and pricey, K&N types. Outfit called Speedograph. Just bought a pair for my double Z's, with pound/dollar conversion as of today and S&H, came to ~ $45

Edit: more like $40, not $45
      I just happen to have a new pair of K&N filters on the way to my house I think the the total was $129.00 for the pair same as the ones Tarheel uses. This means one of us got screwed and didn't get kissed and I know I haven't been kissed in awhile. I will photograph them out of the box and post the specs listed on the boxes when I receive the filters please do the same, it is a good old fashion filter shoot out.

I do have K&N filters on my trucks and they have paid for themselves just in the connivence of not having to find replacement filters.

Comment

John - that's the brand, different model, probably about that thick.

Safari - The K&N's are superior I'll concede. But I'm hoping these will be an improvement over the OEM box housing etc, for a little less $. I know they will certainly weigh less.

Comment

Simpson,

Stupid question here:

Can you put the pancake filters inside the OEM box for the original look?

You'll have washable filters and more airflow even with the OEM box, I think?

Maybe you prefer the chrome casing ops:
          Triumph TR6 - 1974 - Mimosa, O/D, black interior.

Comment

Robert, never thought of that approach, but there are probably K&N type filter elements that can be used in place of the 'factory' paper ones that one could change out inside the box.

Comment

Probably right too.....Will see when time come....
              Triumph TR6 - 1974 - Mimosa, O/D, black interior.

Comment

Safari - The K&N's are superior I'll concede. But I'm hoping these will be an improvement over the OEM box housing etc, for a little less $. I know they will certainly weigh less.
                I am curious if they really are, I purchased mine because they fit had I known about the others I would have them on order right now.

Comment

I am curious if they really are, I purchased mine because they fit had I known about the others I would have them on order right now.
                  Safari - still a good idea for us to post some pics & findings of the two for comparsion etc.

Comment

They look like the flat air cleaners offered by V.B.
                    http://www.victoriabritish.com/icatalog/tc/full.aspx?page=34

Al

Comment

Al, that's what they look like. Might even be the same ones.

Comment

I installed the K&N filters and the engine seems happier. Nothing scientific just runs smoother and not working as hard. To be fair I still had the original paper filters from when I purchased the car a year ago and it had not ran in 10 so filters were at least 11 years old, and dirty. I also installed new seat belts, repaired the temperature gauge, fixed a oil leak I found on the oil pressure gauge and reinstalled the temperature and oil pressure gauges in the correct location. I also go the idiots lights in the correct location. My diode pack on my alternator is bad so I will have to take a look at that sunday. It has been fun.

Comment

tr6quebec and simpson, you can absolutely use K&N's in the stock airbox. Mine was configured like that before my SU conversion. I'll try to get the K&N part number and post it.

Comment

I believe the K&N part number is E-2540

The specs are:

Height: 2.188 in (56 mm)
                            Inside Diameter: 5.188 in (132 mm)
                            Outside Diameter: 7 in (178 mm)

I plan on picking up a pair and using them in my stock airbox.

Syl

Comment

The little pancake jobs got here from England. I can't say I'd recommend them really, but they do weigh a fraction of the OEM unit for us weight weenies - there's not much to them! While they said they were for ZS etc, I had to drill a hole in backing plate for the passage hole on the lower right side of the carb bodies to breath (forget the name of it). Been raining all week and forcast is for more, so I haven't run the engine with them etc.

Comment

Pancake Air Filters

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,859   Posts: 493,133   Members: 56,868   Active Members: 174
                              Rovercooper
                              Welcome to our newest member, Rovercooper.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X