No announcement yet.

Redline Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From what I've read on these forums, the stock steel wheel will take a 205 tire.
    Previously having tubes should not be a problem, unless they were glued to the rim, in which case it will just take more time to mount the new tires.

I too, still have my original Goodyear spare. I would say if it holds air, it could be used in an emergency only.

As for show, I've neve been asked by any judge to see my spare tire, even VTR judges.
    CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
    2nd owner, since 1975
    Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

Period 185-15s are getting very scarce. Dunlop SP Sport is still available in H speed rating @ $353/tire. I've got a set in storage I'll be fitting to wires someday. Fabulous period look and decent performance with 130 MPH rating.

By far the best tire in that size is the Michelin XAS, now only available in 180-15 which surprisingly is 6% wider than the Redline and 1% larger in diameter. No other 185-15 will come even close to gripping like these do. The 165-15 XAS was the upgrade for the TR5/TR6s with fuel injection. In the UK the max tire size they'll recommend for a 5-1/2" wheel is 185, FWIW. Beyond that the beads start getting pinched together relative to the tread.

I've got 185 XASs on my show car which have done at least 20K miles ( before the makeover ) and can attest to their phenomenal grip vs. the Redline, Dunlop SP Sport and Avon H-speed rated. They're no longer in production but I'll buy the 180s next time in a heartbeat if they're still available :dry:

Comment

Hi ,
        see you guys are on top of everything....really great!
        still a few weeks away from a road test...I will advise what i think about these tires once i have car
        on the road.
        rgds
        Peter

Comment

Had occasion to look at my spare tire this past weekend. It's the last of the 5 Goodyears that came with the car when I bought it in 1975, from the dealership.
          I was surprised that it is a 175/70 15!hmy: I had thought is was a 185.
          Pretty sure that it came that way from the factory, the car having less that 12,000 miles on her when I bought her.
          CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
          2nd owner, since 1975
          Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

There is the michelin symmetry with a white wall you can paint red 205-70-15

Boyd

Comment

since there is no exact replacement for concours does it matter which of the mentioned tires are uses as long as they are redlines? Or just keep the old Micheline tires just for show?

Comment

To those who painted their whitewalls Red....what kind of paint was used?

Comment

I tried two types of paint. Duplicolor fabric paint in Red. Comes in a spray can. Sprayed a small amount onto a plastic plate and used a small brush to paint the whilte wall red. Also tried the Duplicolor tire paint in red. Comes in a small tube with built in applicator like a big marker. Two wheels in fabic paint and two with tire paint. Both look about the same and both held up well over one driving season. For me its was easier to get the fabic paint as that was in stock at the parts store. The tire paint was a special order and took over a week to come in.

Comment

In the fall issue of 2009 Triumph 6-Pack mag, Andrew Grace published a great article on producing what he called Modern Michelin Redlines using 205/70/15 Symmetry Michelins with white sidewall stripes and red Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric Paint extracted from spray cans. He'd gotten the idea from RobT on this forum.

I've extracted the paint into small canning jars, which seem to work, and am about ready to paint my Symmetry Michelins.

I see that you seem to achieve about the same quality result using the spray-can approach as with the Dupli-Color Hot Tires.

I've been concerned about UV degradation over time, but I suppose that if that happened, just repaint. I think the Dupli-Color V & F spray paint is for interior use. Than shouldn't be the case for the Hot Tires stuff.

I'm heartened that you've gotten a driving season on both types of paint.

Comment

A thought to all,
                      Do yourself a favor and buy a good brush from a craft/hobby type store. I bought a 1/2", costs aout $4. I tried a foam brush but there was no conrol at all, just to soft. I used the Duplicolor Hot Tires paint in the small metal container. The applicator doesn't work very well at all. I, as others have done, punched a hole in the bottom, drainded it into a cup and painted from there. I think I used 2 or maybe 3 tubes, got 3 coats and took 10-15 min each tire. I haven't been on the road with them due to head issues, but they look pretty good.

Comment

I've been running the Michelin Symmetry 205-70-15 for a couple of weeks. Very nice and solid on the curves - and we have a lot of them here in the foothills. They are whitewalls and I've got the Duplicolor paint tubes to redline them. About $520 for the tires at Les Schwab, and $35 for four of the paint sticks.

Comment

I have modern Michelin X radials with the redline vulcanized into them by Diamondback Classics. Look fantastic and fill the wheel wells out nicely without being too beefy or too small. Just right, IMHO. Weren't cheap, but considering we got caught in a massive monsoon of a storm the other day, I'm happy I had good quality modern rubber on the car

Comment

Aaron,

Those are 205/70 -15 ???
                            Triumph TR6 - 1974 - Mimosa, O/D, black interior.

Comment

Diamondback will put the red line on any tire. At their reccomendation I purchased El Dorado tires, made by Cooper, and had the red lines vulcanized on. My wife and I have had good luck with Cooper on other cars and decided to try these as the savings over the Michelin and Vredestein were significant. The tires look great and they ride and handle very well. They are a huge upgrade over the "new red lines," (they were the Michelins and had serious dry rot) the PO had on the car when I bought it. The size is 205/70 15.

Comment

Period 185-15s are getting very scarce. Dunlop SP Sport is still available in H speed rating @ $353/tire. I've got a set in storage I'll be fitting to wires someday.
                                How long is someday? Tires have a 'shelf life' and most shops will not install them if they are past their 'best before' date.

Comment

Redline Tires

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,863   Posts: 493,174   Members: 56,868   Active Members: 174
                                southjersey29
                                Welcome to our newest member, southjersey29.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X