Redline Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redline Tires

What were the correct redline tire sizes for a '73? Is there an acceptable source?

The stock size tire for the TR6 is nearly extinct.

The stock tire size for NA spec cars was 185R15. It was an old style metric size that equates to ~185/83R15 using todays measurment system. You can get a very good modern tire in the old 185R15 size from Verdenstein. Ain't cheap but it is the stock size. But it is not a redline.

For a while you could get 195/75R15, but I think I got the last set in the country.

The cars came from the factory with Goodyear G800 redline radials. If you wanted an upgrade (that was not an upgrade IMHO) you could get Michelin X redline radials.

The Michelins were being re-popped for awhile, but they were hellishly expensive ~$200/corner and were state of the art for 1963 - a pretty doggy tire. Coker makes their own brand redline in 185R15. They aren't cheap and there are mixed reviews on them.

Kelsey Tire - Goodyear's only authorized source for vintage Goodyear brand tires has no plans to do anything with the G800.

Others have bought modern whitewalls and dyed the white wall red. A company called Diamondback will vulcanize a redline on any modern tire you want and from what I have see they look great. So for instance you could buy the Verdensteins and have them shipped to Diamondback haave a redline put on and them have them shipped to you. You will have a very expensive set of tires that look great. You might have to sleep with the dog though.

Off the rack the closest you can get to the stock tire is 205/70R15. Anything larger and you atart to get into rubbing issues. A lot of folks get the 65 aspect ratio but IMHO it doesn't look right or capture the agressive look of the stock TR6.

Let us know what you think you will do? Tire threads really stir things us around here. Nearly as much as oil threads.

Comment

I've just been going through the same thing looking for tires. Everything said above is true. I have blackwall 195/75s on my steel wheels now but I think they look too fat and are getting too old. That would be even worse with 205/70s. I also have a set of wire wheels with the old Michelin X redlines in 185R15. I like the looks a lot more but those tires are way too old to see the road again.

That pretty much leaves me with the Vredestein w/o the red stripe or $200+ each for the Coker or Diamond Back options. Universal also has a redline around that price. I'm most likely to go with the Vredestein's in 185HR15 for the wires. They will be my primary wheel. The best price I found on those were at "tiresbyweb.com" w/free shipping.

After agreeing with Cygan, everything else here is my opinion only.

Comment

Cygans reply was right on the money. I had the Coker redlines and although I liked the look the handling was not that great especially in twisty corners. I decided to go with Yokohama Avid TRZ in the 205/70 15 size. The handling is leaps and bounds better than the Cokers.

However once these tires need to be replaced I will probably go back to a redline...I just like the look so much better especially on a Mimosa yellow car.

1976 Mimosa Yellow TR6, sold.
        1971 Royal Blue TR6

Comment

Yes, huge difference in the handling between the cokers and the modern tires. I too have a set of both and I like to change them back and forth now and again. Makes for a totally different looking car.

Cheers,
          Tush
          81 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 81 Triumph TR8, 1973 Ford Capri
          73 Triumph TR6 CF4874UO, 68 Triumph TR250 CD5228LO
          62 Triumph TR4 CT6716LO, 60 Triumph TR3A TS69891LO
          60 Triumph TR3A TS64870LO, 59 Triumph TR3A TS44836LO
          https://www.youtube.com/user/cheftush

Comment

Does the Coker fit in the spare tire well. Their web site lists a diameter of 27". That's sounds too big.

Comment

Does the Coker fit in the spare tire well. Their web site lists a diameter of 27". That's sounds too big.
              The PO of my car had a new Coker redline for a spare, and it fit ok.
              Jim / NW Ohio
              "Tillie"... a '74 dressed like a '69 / CF14608U
              Blog: www.trippstr6.blogspot.com

Comment

Yep, that is what I carry on a stock rim in mine.

Cheers,
                Tush
                81 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 81 Triumph TR8, 1973 Ford Capri
                73 Triumph TR6 CF4874UO, 68 Triumph TR250 CD5228LO
                62 Triumph TR4 CT6716LO, 60 Triumph TR3A TS69891LO
                60 Triumph TR3A TS64870LO, 59 Triumph TR3A TS44836LO
                https://www.youtube.com/user/cheftush

Comment

I forgot about the Universal Redline. I don't know anyone that has a set of these and would love to hear a review. There was one person that though these was a funny looking pattern oun the outside edge of the tread and they didn't like the looks.

Goodyear G800's had a funky looking design there too, but it doesn't offend me.

Comment

This is all very helpful. Thanks. I will let you know which way I go and send photos. Leaning toward the Cokers just because they look so good.

Comment

You may want to check Diamondback classic tires. I am very happy with what they did.

Comment

I Can't believe nobody has tried the Universal Redline. It has been a year and a half since they were introduced in this post. I've been leaning towards the Universal, but at this rate they will be out of business before I buy. With my track record of restoration speed :S, I don't want to buy until the car is finished.
                        R3
                        Jim Herter,͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏Copperas Cove, TX
                        Original Owner ֍ 1970 TR6 CC 50990 LO

Comment

Looks like Peter A has a set. Not sure if he has driven on them.

Comment

If I get the 205/70R15 are there any possible issues with the original stock wheels. I believe the old Mich redlines I have are tube type. Does that matter if you switch to tubeless. I mean with the wheels.

Comment

BTW, I still have my original Goodyear spare (1973). Never used it. Is it safe to use? No visible rot. Would it have value for show purposes?

Comment

Redline Tires

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,786   Posts: 492,636   Members: 56,535   Active Members: 5,516
                              Welcome to our newest member, GonacoDob.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X