Oooof! A TR7 gut punch for someone in Kissimmee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oooof! A TR7 gut punch for someone in Kissimmee

Sold at Mecum Kissimmee this afternoon for all of $3300.00: https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0123-53...7-convertible/

It's no creampuff, but a nice driver like this should have brought a lot more. A 1984 Dodge Colt in decidedly lesser condition brought exactly twice as much. Many cars in today's auction brought some very unMecum-like prices, including several really interesting British cars, but this was the most egregious.

TR7 and even TR8 have not had very good value. I don't understand that - I've talked to TR8 owners who swear by their cars, once they are sorted. I drool at every car show where there are nice TR8 rag-tops but my wife would throw me out if I brought home another Triumph.
    1976 TR-6 BRG - CF57239U
    Carbs by Poolboy
    Rear Camber Kit, Rear Hubs by Goodparts
    Gear Reduction Starter by TSI
    Distributor by British Vacuum

Comment

And anew top

I wonder how he does with hjs trans am?
      1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1973 Harvest Yellow MGB V8

Comment

I would own an 8, not a 7. Underpowered. That said nice 8’s are hard to find for sale.
        72 Pimento w/overdrive - Lilred
        67 4A Royal Blue - Lilblue

Comment

Last spring I ran a bit of a "road rally" as the navigator on a TR7. I never had much of a positive impression of those cars but after spending 8 hours in one, a good bit of it on twisty roads, I came to a new appreciation for them. It was underpowered but it handled like a dream and generally behaved quite well.

Still not on my short list of cars I personally aspire to own but I will say it was a pretty nice car. For 3 grand I might have picked this one up if only to drive it for a year or 2 and then sell it on to someone else...
          73 TR6
          Dundee, IL
          My TR6

Comment

I agree with the criticisms of the TR7 stated here, but a relatively nice one for $3300.00? If you haven't been bottom-feeding at the local used car lots lately, take $3300.00 with you and see what you can get for that. That amount of money would have a hard time getting a Chevy Cobalt in this condition. Good luck on a convertible anything, new top or not.

BTW, while no stock TR7 will exactly set the world on fire, neither will a concurrent Fiat 124, X 1/9, Spitfire, or MGB. No 4 cylinder car exactly ruled the roads by 1980. I can personally attest to beating a brand new VW Scriocco in a straight up drag race with a "modified" (the air cleaner lid was flipped over for an open element, that's it) 1975 Pinto. You should have seen the owner beating his steering wheel in humiliation afterwards. That thing ate MGBs, they were no match as long as the road was straight.

Also TR8s were great, but they competed on price with Corvettes. Not a fair fight.

Comment

I agree, the TR7/8 has really grown on me over the last couple of years, seeing them close up in our local club and at shows. They seem to always be on the verge of getting more expensive, but never really do. Engine swaps are pretty common, I've heard from multiple wedge owners that there are more "TR8"s on the road now than when they were new. The '80s twin cam Saab turbo engine would probably fit right in, being an evolution of the TR7 4-cylinder.
              Bill Connell
              1969 TR6 CC28790
              TR6 project log
              St. Paul MN

Comment

I'm particularly fond of the black w/red trim "Spyder" edition TR7's. I remember seeing 5 or 6 of them parked together at a Triumphest one year. Impressive sight!
                CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
                2nd owner, since 1975
                Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

Considering the Panasports and the new convertible top are about $1500 of that…..I’m sure the owner expected way more out of the car…

Cheers
                  Tush
                  81 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 81 Triumph TR8, 1973 Ford Capri
                  73 Triumph TR6 CF4874UO, 68 Triumph TR250 CD5228LO
                  62 Triumph TR4 CT6716LO, 60 Triumph TR3A TS69891LO
                  60 Triumph TR3A TS64870LO, 59 Triumph TR3A TS44836LO
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/cheftush

Comment

Oooof! A TR7 gut punch for someone in Kissimmee

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 40,243   Posts: 496,115   Members: 57,012   Active Members: 142
                  Welcome to our newest member, OnTheSpotHouston.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X