I just bought a TR7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just bought a TR7

Well I bought it last Wednesday from a guy in Fenton MI. He bought it in July this year from a friend who runs auctions in KY. He got it running, cleaned it up a bit and flipped it to me. A '78 model, built in the dreaded Speke plant in Sept. '77. It has 14,400 original miles. 5 speed. I believe I am the third or forth owner. Tahiti blue. No rust whatsoever except for some surface rust in the engine bay and in the recessed area of the boot where the spare sits. Runs strong but needs some rubber bits replaced and the seats redone and other TLC. So far I've just changed the oil and filter and removed the luggage rack and clay bar'd the paint. Just got the Bentley manual yesterday and ordered parts catalogs from Rimmers and Moss. Eventually it will get new wheels, VTO's maybe, and tires.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	TR7 at home 2.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	549742

Name:	TR7 at home.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	549743

Name:	TR7 at home 3.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	549744

Name:	TR7 interior.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	549745
    Don't know yet what that non-standard switch is laying on the console in front of the shifter. It doesn't do anything that I can tell but factory wiring is running to it.

This MASH 1st aid kit was in the glove box along with some other things that I believe were from the first owner. Not sure if this was a dealer placed item? No mention of Triumph or British Leyland anywhere on it. I know that BL advertised the TR7 heavily on the MASH series back in the 70's, which is where I first came to like the TR7, the "Shape of things to come".

Name:	MASH kit.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	549746

1972 TR6, CC75294L
    W58 5 speed / Eaglegate conversion
    Goodparts rear hubs, trailing arm brackets and steering rack mounts, Prestige Autowood Hawaiian koa wood dash panel

Nice looking car, Steve.
    Driving a 1973 TR6
    Doing ZS carb repairs
    email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

Thanks PB!
      1972 TR6, CC75294L
      Goodparts rear hubs, trailing arm brackets and steering rack mounts, Prestige Autowood Hawaiian koa wood dash panel

Comment

That's a great find, Steve! Awesome. I predict a 1st place at next years British Car Day.
        1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1973 Harvest Yellow MGB V8

Comment

• safire6
          safire6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Aaron-I got some fixing up to do by then so hopefully I'll be a competitor to the other 7's and 8's there.

Indeed, nice looking car.

Last spring I was the navigator in a TR7 as we ran a "road rally" in Georgia. During that 400 mile/7 hour run I came to a completely new appreciation for the TR7. Hadn't even ridden in one before that event but it was quite comfortable, handled very well and performed flawlessly.
        73 TR6
        Dundee, IL
        My TR6

Comment

• safire6
          safire6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Phil! The test drive was my first time in a 7 (or 8) also. Despite the seat foams being "flat" I thought it drove and rode nicely and had good power for a 4 cyl.
          It looks better in the pics than it really is-it's got a few dings and chips in the paint.

Hey Steve, welcome to the Wedge Club. I have an 81 TR8 waiting in line for restoration....cant wait to get to it!

Cheers
        Tush
        81 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 81 Triumph TR8, 1973 Ford Capri
        73 Triumph TR6 CF4874UO, 68 Triumph TR250 CD5228LO
        62 Triumph TR4 CT6716LO, 60 Triumph TR3A TS69891LO
        60 Triumph TR3A TS64870LO, 59 Triumph TR3A TS44836LO
        https://www.youtube.com/user/cheftush

Comment

Hi Tush. Thanks, it feels good to have a Wedgie! I think I read somewhere that all TR8s were convertibles? So I asssume yours is not a FHC?
          1972 TR6, CC75294L

Comment

Actually, there were some FHC 8’s. Alan had a nice white one actually at the Trials in Oxford.

Mine is a convertible and is injected.

Cheers
            Tush
            81 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 81 Triumph TR8, 1973 Ford Capri
            73 Triumph TR6 CF4874UO, 68 Triumph TR250 CD5228LO
            62 Triumph TR4 CT6716LO, 60 Triumph TR3A TS69891LO
            60 Triumph TR3A TS64870LO, 59 Triumph TR3A TS44836LO
            https://www.youtube.com/user/cheftush

Comment

• safire6
              safire6 commented
              Editing a comment
              I knew that about Alan's car but somehow forgot it! I even built a 1:25 scale model of that FHC.

When the TR7 first came out in the mid 70's, I got the opportunity to drive one during a local club event. Being a traditionalist, "hairy chested" TR6 driver, I was really surprised at what a great car the new wedge was.
            I've grown fond of the looks over time, especially the black. OTS Spyder edition,
            CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
            2nd owner, since 1975
            Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

Nice a 5-speed coupe. Sorta rare in these parts!
              So much rust, so little time

64 TR4 Overdrive Surrey
              68 TR250 Soon to have Overdrive & Surrey
              69 TR6 Overdrive Early with fender beads
              71 TR6 Hardtop Soon to have OD
              81 TR8 Injected Automatic...the LAST Automatic

Comment

• safire6
                safire6 commented
                Editing a comment
                Seeing Alan's white 8 at the 2010 TRials got me jonesin' ever since for a coupe!

Nice find, Steve! However you do know that Triumph did make cars in colors other than blue, right?

Comment

• safire6
                safire6 commented
                Editing a comment
                They did? Actually I would have preferred Carmine, Bordeax red, Poseidon green, Brooklands green or New white.

I just bought a TR7

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 40,123   Posts: 495,263   Members: 56,950   Active Members: 150
            Welcome to our newest member, Mac M.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
            X