Life's Priorities...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life's Priorities...........

The other day I posted a link to this very nice TR6 that was listed in Hemmings & sold in 3 days!. Today the following email was posted to the Mail List. It sure looks like the same car and Jim Jones' story for selling it is worth reading...........besides the tragedies he's dealt with and is still dealing with, his "philosophy" on these cars is spot on.......

Here's his email:

It has been eight years since I bought my 72 Emerald car, 2003. And eight
    years that I've been a very small part of this forum. It's been a great ride
    and you all are among the most generous friends I've never met. I listed my
    car for sale on Hemmings.com five days ago. It sold three days later, which
    astonished me. Dumb luck, I guess. Life has gotten very crazy in the past
    year. My sister has non-curable cancer, my wife was diagnosed with aggressive
    cancer in March, and my father passed away last month. It is time to simplify
    my life.

I sign off from this list with a bit of the email I sent to the new owner of
    my car. I think it probably applies to a lot of you all out there.

I encourage you to drive the car as much as you can before you make any
    changes on it. Learn the car. It will talk to you, if you listen to it. Unlike
    modern cars, you can feel the car; the lifters ticking, the piston slap, the
    carb sucking air into the motor's lungs, the clutch engagement
    sighing noise. The manual choke requires a only a deft touch. Everything you
    see is what it appears to be - metal, plastic, wood, rubber. Nothing is
    representational, no secrets, no deceptions. I suppose this sounds somewhat
    Zen-like but these old cars communicate in ways that modern stuff that
    is oh-so-refined and filtered cannot.

If you infer that I am passionate about the car that will soon no longer be
    mine, you are correct. During its rebirth I bumped my head on it uncountable
    times. I screamed at it. I cried over it. I bled upon it. People probably
    snickered skeptically at me as I labored hours into the night. It will always
    carry a bit of me until it is junked. It's not like birthing a child, but once
    you go through that process working mostly alone, there is a connection
    created that endures beyond the completion of the work.

I wish you all well. Keep the lights burning brightly in Lucas Land!

Jim Jones
    Jefferson City, MO
    1975 Mimosa with a few upgrades/mods:
    Patton TBI
    HVDA Toyota 5 speed
    Goodparts Nissan Diff
    Goodparts CVJs
    AAW Wire Harness
    Miata Seats
    Boyd Welding Custom 15 gallon aluminum gas tank

Touching....!
    Triumph TR6 - 1974 - Mimosa, O/D, black interior.

Comment

Agreed, very well written and touching. I actually saw this car parked at the same hospital parking lot in Jefferson City where my Mother passed away on June 23rd of this year.

I didn't get to meet the owner, but if I had, we could have consoled each other in more ways than one.

Good luck to you Jim!

Wolf
      76 TR6 CF58170UO (The Lady)
      72 TR6 CC80068UO (The Slut)
      68 TR250 CD4893L (retirement project)

Comment

Wow, touching indeed. Great advice too.

Comment

Wow, that really hit home.
          Lost my first wife to cancer, the TR was our honeymoon car and was also the last car she got to ride in while she could still travel.
          Top down of course.
          CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
          2nd owner, since 1975
          Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

Nothing like reading posts like these to remind me that life is happening all around us, despite the escape we find dealing with these cars. Joy and sadness, births and deaths.
            Speaking of Births, there's supposed to be a another Atkinson on planet earth in the very near future, so I hear.
            Driving a 1973 TR6
            Doing ZS carb repairs
            email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

I saw that this morning on the list along with the "where's everybody at?"

Jim, if you are on here our thoughts and prayers are with you and your message clearly puts life in perspective, we wish you and your family the best.

If you don't mind I might use some of that message when I pass along lilred to its next owner, my son. It is sage advice and pretty much says it all about the care and respect that these simple cars require. This is what I have tried to instill in him over the 5 years that we have worked on it together but seeing it in writing summarizes it well. Something to put in the back of the cover of the Bentley manual for him with a picture from the renovation and us covered in grease.....

Lou
              72 Pimento w/overdrive

Comment

That is said about as well as anything can be said, IMHO.

Jim, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Remember, you are one of us and you will be for a s long as you like. We'll be here when you need to talk or just want to say hello. Please do not be a stranger to the guys here.

Comment

What a shame he had to sell the car.
                  After this bad period in his life is over he might regret having sold it.

Comment

That's why we need to be here in case he gets another one on the rebound.

Comment

...If you infer that I am passionate about the car that will soon no longer be
                      mine, you are correct. During its rebirth I bumped my head on it uncountable
                      times. I screamed at it. I cried over it. I bled upon it. People probably
                      snickered skeptically at me as I labored hours into the night. It will always
                      carry a bit of me until it is junked. It's not like birthing a child, but once
                      you go through that process working mostly alone, there is a connection
                      created that endures beyond the completion of the work....
                      Wow! What a powerful statement! My wife does not get the emotional bond that a man feels to something that he has done with his own hands. I have often wondered if it was just me, but apparently it isn't.

Comment

That's why we need to be here in case he gets another one on the rebound.
                        Don't think he frequents here, thought he was a "lister" but you are right.

Lou
                        72 Pimento w/overdrive

Comment

Life's Priorities...........

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,933   Posts: 484,037   Members: 9,305   Active Members: 589
                        Welcome to our newest member, yazronekisf.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

Working...
                        X