Old Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Tires

I went to push my parts TR7 out of the way and found one of the tires had gone flat. When I went to put air in it I found it had come completely apart!

Just last week I had rolled this car around. The last time this car was registered was 1991 and I think the date code indicates 1987. The car was sitting inside my shop when it blew.

I am glad you were not driving when that happened. That is why we should be replacing our tires every 5 years. Even though the limited use our TR6's get the rubber degrades.
    1976 Mimosa Yellow TR6, sold.
    1971 Royal Blue TR6

Comment

Wow................ great example of how a tire that looks OK shouldn't be used if it's more then 7 - 10 years old. There's a few threads in here about the dangers of driving on old tires that look "perfect"........... Lots on online articles and, 20/20 did a TV show about accidents and deaths from old tires self destructing without warning.
      1975 Mimosa with a few upgrades/mods:
      Patton TBI
      HVDA Toyota 5 speed
      Goodparts Nissan Diff
      Goodparts CVJs
      AAW Wire Harness
      Miata Seats
      Boyd Welding Custom 15 gallon aluminum gas tank

Comment

Coincidentally I replaced my 38 year old Goodyear spare just this past weekend, with a much newer, used tire.
        It too looked perfect and felt like it was fully inflated. It actually had absolutely no air pressure in it at all. I warned the guy at the tire shop to be carefull when removing from the rim, "It's older that you are", I told him.
        CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
        2nd owner, since 1975
        Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

That is what I warned everyone about in the other thread, only mine was in about 1,000 more pieces than that one.

Comment

Old Tires

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,946   Posts: 484,116   Members: 9,382   Active Members: 638
          Welcome to our newest member, Lamarqe.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
          X