Firsts for Triumphs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firsts for Triumphs

Hi Guys, Triumph were always at the forefront of modernity or so their period ads claimed. Some of the 'firsts ' were:
    125mph for less than £1000 (approx $4000 in 1950's) Belgium motorway speed trials
    Disc brakes in a mass production sports car
    Collapsible steering column
    Fresh air vents in the cockpit
    All the range had independent suspension in 1966 when many British cars still had cart spring rear suspension.
    Most visibility in Herald, glass area around cockpit 93%
    Smallest turning circle in a Herald 23 Feet
    First volume sports car with wind up windows?
    Not sure but there must be some others eg full syncro on gearboxes? Anti burst door catches.
    They also used to put a spare key in the rear light units!
    And lasts
    They never offered metallic paint until the Honda based Acclaim.
    No air con as standard.
    Any other suggestions?
    Don

Don:

When I was in Margate, Kent and Huntingdon, Huntingdonshire in 1952-54 I recall the pound equaling $2.80 which means 1000 British Pounds would equal $2, 800. I could be wrong.
    Best Therapy
    http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/AlbertGary.htm
    Zoom Zoom

Comment

Hi Al, you are right just checked historical rate. When I was a kid we used to call 5 shillings a dollar as a slang term, I guess as the dollar had been 4 to a pound through the war years and then we devalued to aid exports after the war in 51? A new TR2 was £787 in the UK so not sure what that was stateside with transport and Tax effects.
      Also forgot
      First production fuel injection (TR6)
      First multivalve engine. (Dolomite sprint 4 valve operated by one OHC)
      Don

Comment

Don, I am going to have to disagree with you about the fuel injection. VW was in production with the Type III engine with fuel injection in the 60's before Triumph. The injection system they used was copied/purchased from Chevy which used it on the Corvette, but didn't go into debugging it. Mercedes also used an injection on the 300Sl's which were fuel injection and BMW used the tecalimit system in the late 60's also.

Comment

Don:

I am a military brat. I remember putting shillings in a gas meter on the kitchen wall for the gas to come on for heat and cooking. I still have some of the coins I collected, farthings, halfpenny threepence, sixpence shillings, crowns, etc. I was there in form school when the queen was crowned so I have some memorabilia. When I came back to the states, I had to learn to count and measure all over again. Wish I had retain some of that measuring stuff. Its back.

I am looking forward to returning and walking the old neighborhoods I lived in. Four blocks away from Dreamland in Margate. I loved it there.

A neighbor on the manor farm in Huntingdonshire had an older MG can't remember the year but rides in that car through the hedges was awesome.

The fish and chips here are not the same.
          Best Therapy
          http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/AlbertGary.htm
          Zoom Zoom

Comment

The fish and chips here are not the same.
            If you ever make it into the city, I can give you an address. They ~are~ as good. Pricey, but good.
            I'm really not that interesting...

Comment

Don, I am going to have to disagree with you about the fuel injection. VW was in production with the Type III engine with fuel injection in the 60's before Triumph. The injection system they used was copied/purchased from Chevy which used it on the Corvette, but didn't go into debugging it. Mercedes also used an injection on the 300Sl's which were fuel injection and BMW used the tecalimit system in the late 60's also.
              I guess the correct way to put it with Triumphs PI system (debuting on the TR5) was that it was the first British Production sports car with Fuel Injection as standard equipment. Aston Martin was right in about that time frame as well with Fuel Injection, but only as an option, in 1969.

Diesels were 'injected' commercially long before gasoline engines though.

Comment

I believe Triumph claimed first targa top, i.e. before Porsche.

Comment

Hi Re fuel injection see
                  www.britishcarforum.com/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=TR+5-TR+250
                  Which is as I remember, they 'claimed' a first. Sales spin!!
                  Quote from site
                  Triumph claimed in their sales brochure that it was the 'First British production sports car with petrol injection'.
                  The system was used and developed by Lucas in race cars in the 50's by an engineer with experience of fuel injection systems in aero engines.
                  Don

Comment

The late TR4's had a radiator over flow bottle before any American car I know of.

Comment

I thought the Series 1 Sunbeam Alpine claimed to be the first volume sports car with wind up windows. I guess it depends on what you would call volume since I'm fairly sure they made a lot more TR4's than Alpines.

Didn't mean to be critical, just observational/conversational.

Comment

I believe Triumph claimed first targa top, i.e. before Porsche.
                        You are correct sir.

Fid.
                        1969 TR6 “Rosie” Signal Red
                        1965 Humber Super Snipe “Patricia” Silver Moss

”Make mine a 69!”

Comment

Firsts for Triumphs

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,946   Posts: 484,117   Members: 9,384   Active Members: 640
                        Welcome to our newest member, Lamarau.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X