The End of the Holocene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The End of the Holocene

Heard this speech by David Attenborough at the World Economic Forum Meeting on NPR today:

"I am quite literally from another age. I was born during the Holocene- the name given to the 12,000-year period of climatic stability that allowed humans to settle, farm and create civilisations. Those conditions fostered our unique minds, giving rise to international trade in ideas as well as good making us the globally-connected species we are today. Much of what will be discussed here is the consequence of that stability. Global businesses, international co-operation and the striving for higher ideals these are all possible because for millennia, on a global scale, nature has largely been predictable and stable.

Now in the space of one human lifetime - indeed in the space of my lifetime all that has changed. The Holocene has ended. The Garden of Eden is no more.

We have changed the world so much that scientists say we are now in a new geological age - The Anthropocene - The Age of Humans. When you think about it, there is perhaps no more unsettling thought. The only conditions modern humans have ever known are changing and changing fast. It is tempting and understandable to ignore the evidence and carry on as usual or to be filled with doom and gloom. But there is also a vast potential for what we might do.

We need to move beyond guilt or blame and get on with the practical tasks at hand..."

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/...l-award-speech (1/21/19)

The video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=xuudPum21nE

Comment

The End of the Holocene

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,705   Posts: 481,520   Members: 8,375   Active Members: 229
    Welcome to our newest member, oozuraro.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

Working...
    X