No announcement yet.

"Ageing Out"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I added 15 or so pics to the IG yesterday. I got about 100 likes. Of course that is all over the instagramaverse. Good news is two local guys followed. One of whom is in his 20s and bough an MGB last year. he does attend club events. The other is a 6 packer who has been this forum before.

If anyone is interested, the handle is britcarclubgc

I'm pretty sure you don't have to be on a mobile device.
    1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1973 Harvest Yellow MGB V8

Comment

Originally posted by tr6ed View Post
      At a recent car show a young guy parked his TR7 next to our club members. The car was a little beat up and he was doing his best to make it as nice as could. He seemed very proud of the progress he made on it so far. Then 2 older guys like myself came around to look at our cars and just started to relentlessly to pick this kids car apart. The poor kid was really hurt. Then we stepped in and asked these 2 guys what skills and budget did you have at 19 years old? Instead of lambasting this kid and his car for everybody to hear, how about maybe congratulating him for continuing in our footsteps and keeping the hobby going. Our club members told these 2 guys what we thought of them and they walked away with their tails between their legs. After word got out everyone came around and voted for the kid resulting in his very first trophy. And guess what, neither of those 2 guys had a car at the show. Please encourage the young guys starting out when you have the chance.
      Good for you. This happened to me a few years ago at the British by the Sea. A young enthusiast had widen a Six by 6 inches right down the middle and install a small block Chevy and a Hurst shifter off the floor of the unfinished cockpit. It was rough, and not easy on the eyes. But it was something he had built. Some people going by made fun of the car. I cozyed up to the young owner and went over it with him in detail. I asked every question possible, and listen with interest as he explained his work. I engaged him asking if he had thought of this and that. At the end he was a nice kid and I looked for him and the car the following years. So it was not my cup of tea, but I have done weird and love to talk about it.

Also on another note, I open my driver's door and encourage young kids to sit in my car if they show interest. Love to watch them go for an imaginary ride.
      Last edited by TRick6; Yesterday, 10:24 AM.
      Best Therapy
      http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/AlbertGary.htm
      Zoom Zoom

Comment

Originally posted by TRick6 View Post

Also on another note, I open my driver's door and encourage young kids to sit in my car if they show interest. Love to watch them go for an imaginary ride.
        Good on you!
        Reminds me of the time the wife and I were in the 6 doing the 17 Mile drive in Monterey. We had stopped at one of the scenic viewpoints and a couple of young tourists remarked about the TR.
        I invited them to sit in her for some photos, which they did of course and got quite a kick out of the pleasure they got from the experience.

CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
        2nd owner, since 1975
        Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

I usually walk the field at shows then sit by my car. I abhor those “look but don’t touch” signs and encourage people to touch and sit in the car if they show interest. It’s a car not s Picasso..
          72 Pimento w/overdrive - Lilred
          67 4A Royal Blue - Lilblue

Comment

"Ageing Out"

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 40,068   Posts: 494,735   Members: 56,930   Active Members: 148
          Welcome to our newest member, claybrown.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

• Sep 10
            01:00 AM | The annual British Car Day in Cincinnati is September 11th.

Live music, food, and beer trucks

Two new classes added, British...
          • No more items.
          Working...
          X