"Ageing Out"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Ageing Out"

i've seen this term used in conjuction with car club membership, interest in certain time related categories of collector cars and such.
    It's kind of an ominous saying, in that it impies a terminal outlook.
    Somehow, an appropiate sentiment these days of turmoil and division.
    BUT, there are glimmers of hope. !
    Was watching "30 under 30" on the Audrain Auto Museum channel and the young folk seem poised to take up the mantle, given the encourgement they deserve.
    So as they, (me too), take a kid to a (British ) car show!
    Apologies for the conspicuous use of emogies.
    CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
    2nd owner, since 1975
    Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Ageing Out is, IMO, a real thing. Look at the pictures over time of say, triumphest or the other big meets, same faces overall, just decades gone by. As we get older, romantic reminiscing is a great past time. But it doesn't bring in replacement enthusiasm. Do you drive your car? Do you take the time to talk to anyone who is interested? Are you friendly and enthusiastic talking to people? Or do you like to talk to the same clique as it is more comfortable?

Comment

At a recent car show a young guy parked his TR7 next to our club members. The car was a little beat up and he was doing his best to make it as nice as could. He seemed very proud of the progress he made on it so far. Then 2 older guys like myself came around to look at our cars and just started to relentlessly to pick this kids car apart. The poor kid was really hurt. Then we stepped in and asked these 2 guys what skills and budget did you have at 19 years old? Instead of lambasting this kid and his car for everybody to hear, how about maybe congratulating him for continuing in our footsteps and keeping the hobby going. Our club members told these 2 guys what we thought of them and they walked away with their tails between their legs. After word got out everyone came around and voted for the kid resulting in his very first trophy. And guess what, neither of those 2 guys had a car at the show. Please encourage the young guys starting out when you have the chance.

Comment

In answer to your questions, yes I do drive my car, though not as much as I used to and whenever I do, I always talk to those that remark about the 6.
        At shows, I'll talk to anyone that listens and listed to anyone that talks. One can learn alot that way!
        2nd owner, since 1975
        Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

I am going to deliberately infer Ageing out as Grandfathered in.

Old man waivers and privilidges extended from former restrictions.....
          '74 TR6 CF13007U aka "Mr. T"
          Custom Blue (Delft-Like) and New Tan (Formerly Mallard and New Tan)
          Points, Ballast Bypassed, Bosch Blue Coil, Moss Cobalt Wires, Champion RN12YC plugs.
          Peaks and tweaks, but the spirit of Original
          Redlines always.
          My wife is the Driver, I'm just the Mechanic....

Comment

I really appreciate TR6Ed's story about the kid with the TR7. Even in my 50s at lot of the restoration skills I'm learning are new to me, and a lot of my success is because of the encouragement from older folks in our car community here. It's been really gratifying to have people recognize the progress I've made, even though it's not a beautiful car and still has obvious issues.

One of the best things happening with our local Triumph club is the new younger folks who have found us over the last couple of years. We still have members who helped start the club in 1974, but they've been actively working to get younger folks involved to help avoid the fate of many other local clubs who have shrunk and disappeared as their members got too old to maintain them. It's working too, about half of our new members lately are in their 30s-40s.
            Bill Connell
            1969 TR6 CC28790
            TR6 project log
            St. Paul MN

Comment

Originally posted by frostr6 View Post
              I really appreciate TR6Ed's story about the kid with the TR7. Even in my 50s at lot of the restoration skills I'm learning are new to me, and a lot of my success is because of the encouragement from older folks in our car community here. It's been really gratifying to have people recognize the progress I've made, even though it's not a beautiful car and still has obvious issues.

One of the best things happening with our local Triumph club is the new younger folks who have found us over the last couple of years. We still have members who helped start the club in 1974, but they've been actively working to get younger folks involved to help avoid the fate of many other local clubs who have shrunk and disappeared as their members got too old to maintain them. It's working too, about half of our new members lately are in their 30s-40s.
              I'd be interested in hearing what your club did to get new members. We have a Facebook page to help people find us.

Our local British car club has 150 paying members. I'm one of the youngest at 50. The Tri-State Triumph group has a lot of members on an email list. And 20 active members.
              1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1973 Harvest Yellow MGB V8

Comment

Originally posted by skootch13 View Post

I'd be interested in hearing what your club did to get new members. We have a Facebook page to help people find us.

Our local British car club has 150 paying members. I'm one of the youngest at 50. The Tri-State Triumph group has a lot of members on an email list. And 20 active members.
                The MN club is a similar size, around 150 members, we usually get around 30-40 at our monthly meetings. Some of it may be luck and pandemic projects, but a lot of what we've done is try to be more active and visible at events. There's a big monthly car show in the area where we've been the host club in July for the last couple of years, bringing 20 or so Triumphs and each time we've connected with TR owners who didn't know we existed. We have a pretty strong intermarque group and get involved with some of their events, which helps cross-pollinate with other clubs in town, and we've done some cross-promotion with folks from clubs that typically have modern cars, tuner cars, etc. We had a run of club business cards made that I always bring to shows and hand out to anyone interested.

I rebuilt the club website a couple of years ago, and I think that helped some with more resources and current info for events and meetings, so new folks can find us more easily. One of our members set up a Facebook page, but I don't think it gets a lot of traffic or leads for the group, but I'm not a FB user so not totally sure.

Finally, I think it helps that our club is relatively active, with regular driving events and tech sessions where we actually work on cars. I've talked to many people at car shows who belong to clubs where the most technical they get is how to use a clay bar or which leather cream is best. We'll happily help reassemble a stalled project, pull a gearbox, tune carbs, whatever. There's a lot of expertise and we're happy to share it.
                Bill Connell
                1969 TR6 CC28790
                TR6 project log
                St. Paul MN

Comment

We do the same thing in my club. We call it the rescue squad and go help guys with stalled projects or when a second set of eyes or hands are required.

Comment

Thanks Bill. We are doing the same things. Handing out flyers, business cards, etc. There's 3-5 guys helping someone do a frame off Midget right now.

We have a private FB page with news for just club members if they join. We also have a public FB that I post stuff to. If someone were to search FB for "British car cincinnati," they'd find us.

I googled your club. It came up easily. https://www.mntriumphs.org/. That's a nice site and i'm stealing some ideas.

Comment

• frostr6
                      frostr6 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Any time, skootch, glad the see was easy to find! Feel free to use whatever ideas for for your club/area, I certainly learned and used stuff from other clubs.

I belong to an all British club that holds its all British events, some of which I attend. I also attend the numerous 'all makes and models' shows/events put on by local clubs that do not limit makes or models. It is a refreshing change as many have never seen an old British car and show genuine interest. It makes a nice mix as I have owned many cars of all makes and models
                    Ralph
                    TR250 "Eileen"
                    MGB "Merck"
                    VW GTI

Comment

I chuckled to myself reading this. I am 59 and consider myself older now, but still young amongst the Triumph core crowd.

That said, I have college age younger kids and offer these tips based on the above.

1) Facebook - My kids told me Facebook is for older folks. They do Instagram and Tic Tock. Maybe supplement your online FB presence with IG.
                      2) Business cards. A dying art. Again younger folks will ask: "Whats your IG? or Whats your Instagram"

I confess I dont have FB or IG or any other Tweetgrambooks, but that is by choice.

Other than the co-sponsored meetups mentioned, maybe go fishing where the fish are, apparently IG is more youth preferred than FB...
                      Last edited by tr6harris; 08-02-2022, 11:14 PM.
                      '74 TR6 CF13007U aka "Mr. T"
                      Custom Blue (Delft-Like) and New Tan (Formerly Mallard and New Tan)
                      Points, Ballast Bypassed, Bosch Blue Coil, Moss Cobalt Wires, Champion RN12YC plugs.
                      Peaks and tweaks, but the spirit of Original
                      Redlines always.
                      My wife is the Driver, I'm just the Mechanic....

Comment

I took my son to many different events when he was younger as well as vintage racing events that I enjoy. He takes me to his Miata events and Japanese car culture events so we 'share the love'. He is also a critical piece in restoration of my car as we are currently prepping for paint. Its our hobby to share and enjoy together.

I don't understand why we as stewards of these classic vehicles would begin to put someone down for starting the journey of ownership with a car that may needs lots of TLC. This is the time for encouragement and celebrating the fact that effort is being put forth to at least maintain and revive these old beasts.

I can see aging out as a good thing as the car can be passed on to a younger more energetic crowd. The care and feeding of our specific car culture always needs nurturing.
                        CF28612UO - Pimento/Chestnut/Overdrive/Hardtop
                        Folsom, CA - Yeah, near the prison!

Comment

Originally posted by tr6harris View Post
                          I chuckled to myself reading this. I am 59 and consider myself older now, but still young amongst the Triumph core crowd.

That said, I have college age younger kids and offer these tips based on the above.

1) Facebook - My kids told me Facebook is for older folks. They do Instagram and Tic Tock. Maybe supplement your online FB presence with IG.
                          2) Business cards. A dying art. Again younger folks will ask: "Whats your IG? or Whats your Instagram"

I confess I dont have FB or IG or any other Tweetgrambooks, but that is by choice.

Other than the co-sponsored meetups mentioned, maybe go fishing where the fish are, apparently IG is more youth preferred than FB...
                          I started an IG page. No one in the club has an account. And the younger crowd may not know about old British cars. Kind of like two ships passing in the night.

Comment

Great comments guys!
                            The club I belonged to and was active with in the bay area, TTSCC, or "Triumph Travelers", was founded in 1958 and is the oldest, continously running TR club in the country, if not the world.
                            I probably should renew my membership even though I'm not down there in that region anymore.
                            2nd owner, since 1975
                            Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

"Ageing Out"

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 40,068   Posts: 494,735   Members: 56,930   Active Members: 148
                            Welcome to our newest member, claybrown.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

• Sep 10
                              01:00 AM | The annual British Car Day in Cincinnati is September 11th.

Live music, food, and beer trucks

Two new classes added, British...
                            • No more items.
                            Working...
                            X