No announcement yet.

L.A. may ban gas stations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, 20 minutes assumes that the station has the biggest superchargers and you don't have to wait if its being used by someone else. The topic was gas/charging stations so $7000 solar chargers would not apply, right? Although $7000 would buy a LOT of gas even at today's prices, not to mention the original EV price premium over a conventional ICE car.

https://youtu.be/a1uFudf37JU
    Last edited by lfmTR4; 06-30-2022, 12:39 PM.
    72 Pimento w/overdrive - Lilred
    67 4A Royal Blue - Lilblue

Comment

All discussion about EVs and hybrids is based on the belief of reducing our impact on the environment. That is a very noble and worthy goal for humankind that I fully support. I personally think we are merely exchanging one set of problems for another with maybe, MAYBE a slight easing of humankind's impact on the earth.

I will title this post "Dr. Stranglelove: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and to Love Global Warming."

Three scenarios with global warming;

1. There is no global warming. Nothing to worry about. Roll over and go to sleep

2. There is global warming and it is caused by the natural cycles of the earth and mankind has no effect on it. Nothing we can do. Roll over and go to sleep

3. Global warming is happening and is caused by mankind. In the 1980s the human population was roughly 4.5 billion and its believed global warming was having an effect. Today it is 8 billion. We have doubled the population. i am not sure how much more energy humankind uses than in the 1980s, but I would wager it is more than double. The standard of living (which equals energy and resource use) has increased for everyone. And China has 300 million people with a standard of living equal to the middle class of the US whereas in the 1980s they had zero. In short, nothing we can do. Drive your diesel/hybrid/EV/classic car/ ICE. Then roll over and go to sleep.

1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1973 Harvest Yellow MGB V8

Comment

I guess it makes you wonder why people like me spend the better part of a decade getting multiple advanced degrees in Environmental Science so that they can actually know what the heck they're talking about. They must be wasting their time learning from careful/reviewed research and well-sourced scientific analyses..., and performing the same in real/peer-reviewed publications..., when all they have to do is read a gear-head blog.

Of course there are those who'd call what I did "pedophile grooming",. Oh well. Education and pursuit of fact isn't for everyone.

You've got to wonder what people who disparage science like this tell their kids when it comes time for them to pick a higher education. Do they even encourage it?

The United States of I Don't Care wins again.
        I know. It was ignored the first time.... (Yeah, sure. Like it was the first time.)

Your grandchildren aren't ignoring it. They are going to blame you, someday.

Bet on it..

https://climate.nasa.gov/effects/

https://www.nrdc.org/stories/are-eff...ing-really-bad
        Last edited by [email protected]; 06-30-2022, 05:13 PM.

Comment

I’m not against EV’s, I’m just saying the implementation is not fully cooked yet and banning new gas stations is a knee jerk reaction from the liberals that haven’t thought it through.

No, I don’t think my grandkids like my kids will blame us, they’ll be busy finding the solution instead of whining about the causes.

Were there EV’s 25 years ago? No, will there be a full solution cradle to grave in 25 years? probably. Ban new gas stations then.

Do I blame my parents? Hell no. I thins the Chinese are way ahead of us in pollution and greenhouse gases, the smog there in any big city is worse than L.A. on a bad day.

Comment

Originally posted by lfmTR4 View Post
            No, I don’t think my grandkids like my kids will blame us, they’ll be busy finding the solution instead of whining about the causes.
            Anyone who has any real knowledge of the issue knows it will be far too late by then. They'll be victims, if not casualties. "Thinking about it" changes nothing.

Read the real science. It'll take a while.

Comment

Ok then, since you have probably read most of if not all of the science, what’s the answer and the timeline before it’s too late

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post

Anyone who has any real knowledge of the issue knows it will be far too late by then. They'll be victims, if not casualties. "Thinking about it" changes nothing.

Read the real science. It'll take a while.

Comment

Ok then, since you have probably read most of if not all of the science, what’s the answer and the timeline before it’s too late

It starts with open minded acceptance of, and respect for, what were once called expertise and consensus; the understanding that circumstances change over time; and a return to the belief that money/profit really is the source of all evil if it's allowed to be so. In other words..., HUMILITY. Absolutely NOTHING in terms of numbers and actions means anything until people re-learn those lessons from the past.

Or we can all throw our lunches against the wall and fight pointlessly for the steering wheel when we don't get what we want, like someone we all know and many still cheer on in the struggle to not do what needs to be done.

Comment

So, there is no practical answer or timeframe?

Let’s not turn to politics as that will do nothing but bring out the hate.

Comment

So, there is no practical answer or timeframe?
                    If you look at the links I've already posted, you'll see that we are VERY, VERY close to an unstoppable disaster. Large parts of what we consider the normal stasis of the world are, frankly, already doomed. Nobody of any insight talks in any terms except "avoiding the worst consequences". The "worst consequences" are now limited to massive human suffering. Massive suffering of other species, and moderate scale human suffering (i.e. see what's happening in Madagascar right now), are forgone conclusions for the future.

Comment

Given what this administration has done to this country, that was a welcomed bit of sunshine.
                      Ralph
                      TR250 "Eileen"
                      MGB "Merck"
                      VW GTI

Comment

Originally posted by 46er View Post
                        Given what this administration has done to this country, that was a welcomed bit of sunshine.
                        So, do you watch Fox News much?
                        CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
                        2nd owner, since 1975
                        Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

Originally posted by baws View Post

So, do you watch Fox News much?
                          Nope, BBC.
                          Ralph
                          TR250 "Eileen"
                          MGB "Merck"
                          VW GTI

Comment

• baws
                            baws commented
                            Editing a comment
                            That's a good thing,

L.A. may ban gas stations?

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 40,068   Posts: 494,735   Members: 56,930   Active Members: 148
                        Welcome to our newest member, claybrown.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

• Sep 10
                          01:00 AM | The annual British Car Day in Cincinnati is September 11th.

Live music, food, and beer trucks

Two new classes added, British...
                        • No more items.
                        Working...
                        X