P.S. (post-shot) World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P.S. (post-shot) World

WAY too many people are refusing to get their covid shot. The CDC says that at least 37% of the U.S. populace will refuse the shot, even now that months of data have shown it to be safe and effective. That's too much for any hope of herd immunity, which (for those who've heard the term too much for it to mean anything to them) is why you can wander in a crowd and not fear getting measles or polio. The news this morning had a study where 0.5% of fully vaccinated people are getting one of the new variants already. This is changing behavior.

I've attended every Indy 500 since 1988 except 2, 1 last year and 1 for a funeral. My name is in the program as a 25+ year season ticket holder. All 3 of the people I go with declined to go this year because of the risk. I held on to the seats for next year, but I'll be watching from home in May this year.

Meanwhile my 87 year old father and I attend the Cincinnati Concours de Elegance at Ault Park every year. We are still on for that as the crowd is more manageable. Walking in a crowd in a field seems safer than sitting shoulder to shoulder with strangers from all over. I got the tickets Sunday immediately after delaying the Indy trip online until next year.

I help run the local British Car Day here in Cincinnati. We are concerned about this.

What will you attend/not attend this year?

If you have gotten the vaccine, the risk to you is minimal. I can't let my life suffer because some fool refuses to get vaccinated. I also have heard that some vaccinated people refuse to go into mixed settings because they fear they will spread the disease to unvaccinated people. While the evidence is that no such transmission is likely, I won't worry about that either.

We have been locked up and locked down by leaders more interested in their own dictatorial power than good science. If someone doesn't want to get vaccinated then that's their prerogative, I guess, but it is NOT my problem. I'm comfortable that the vaccine works and is 95% or so effective (Moderna is what I got), so I feel pretty much "bulletproof".

Herd immunity is not a magic point on a bell-shaped curve. But when new cases stop rising in an exponential manner and begin to level off, we become safer and safer with time. Everyone has to pick the time when the risk is acceptable to them. If people want to lock themselves up that should be an individual choice. Those who think the vaccine is some kind of secret government poison, then don't take it, but don't make it my problem.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm just about exhausted from all the pseudo-science being spread by our state governments and their grasp for Hitleresque power in what used to be a free country. And this guy Fauci has a different answer every day for what's going on - his credibility was gone a year ago; he is nothing but a camera hog who likes to hear his own voice.
    1976 TR-6 BRG - CF57239U
    Carbs by Poolboy
    Rear Camber Kit, Rear Hubs by Goodparts
    Gear Reduction Starter by TSI
    Distributor by British Vacuum

Comment

Originally posted by bartman View Post
      If someone doesn't want to get vaccinated then that's their prerogative, I guess, but it is NOT my problem.
      That's the whole point. It IS your problem.

Every transmission of any virus is an opportunity for mutation. With millions of willing incubators walking among us, passing the virus around like a bad penny, it's literally a matter of time before "bulletproof" is a quaint concept of the past. It's possible that annual booster shots would help, but unless the virus is eradicated polio-style nobody is "bulletproof". Nobody ever will be.

Real scientists and doctors (like Dr. Fauci) don't have the luxury of such short term, simplistic thinking. People who live in the information bubble that excuses that sort of thinking are the problem, and areas like Indiana where like-thinking evangelicals and Republicans dominate society are exactly the places where dangers will lurk for the vaccinated and unvaccinated alike for possibly years to come. It's important to understand when you are being catered to, when you are being fear-baited, and when you are being informed. That begins with vetting the information's source.

I've read a lot of C.V.'s. It would be almost impossible to exceed Dr. Fauci's.

There was a time in this country when expertise and authority mattered. Now, for some, they're for sale..., cheap.

This is only "a problem" when you're talking about which motor oil to use, or who to vote for. This is worse. This is about trusting each other. This is how a society fails.

That's why I think it's best to wait for next year's Indy 500. I'm not the only one.
      Last edited by [email protected]; 04-22-2021, 08:35 PM. Reason: Expanded next to last paragraph.

Comment

• Dave@Moon3
        [email protected] commented
        Editing a comment
        BTW, I mention Republicans and evangelicals solely as they are the definitive categories for the vast majority of covid anti-vaxers. Any value judgements regarding that fact are solely the responsibility of the reader.

And so I get back to:
      Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      What will you attend/not attend this year?

Comment

Dave-

What is your prescription? Should we have the vaccine police track down people and forcibly administer a shot?

John Cyg

Comment

• Dave@Moon3
          [email protected] commented
          Editing a comment
          I did answer. Were you not compelled to get your MMR, TB, polio, & whooping cough, shots at one point for your kids, or when you were a kid? Maybe the home-schooled didn't need them to function in society, but the rest of us sure did.

• Cygan
          Cygan commented
          Editing a comment
          No. You are responding to me with a question about my experience. I am happy to share my experience with you if you will answer me if people should be compelled by force to take a vaccination. Although I would classify myself as a religious conservative, you might be surprised, by my answer.

• Cygan
          Cygan commented
          Editing a comment
          The only people who can be vaccinated against their will are minor children and people who have been adjudicated incompetent to make healthcare decisions. I think this is as it should be. As for childhood vaccines, yes the public health authorities "highly encourage" vaccinations but accept religious and other objections. I was a "military brat" and had had a lot of vaccinations and I believe in them.

To be vaccinated or not is a decision that is best left to patients and their doctors. There are situations with risk, and low risk, but none with no risk. Don't forget that the origin of a lot of vaccine resistance in this country stems from another government crash vaccine development program for the swine flu that caused serious health issues for many folks in the 1970's. There are other instance of vaccine contamination in the past. Now we have learned more and have better manufacturing practices over the years, but is boils down to the risk of the vaccine versus the risk of the disease. Having said all of this, I think the current vaccines are low risk (but not no risk).

I was on the fence about taking the vaccine as I have had COVID, so I am unlikely to give it to anyone or to get it again. My Doctor recommended that I take the vaccine. So I took the Pfizer vaccine. If you cannot take your healthcare provider's advice, then you should get another Doctor.

Dave, don't you think big Pharma has done a magnificent job in bring out vaccine within a yearof the outbreak to give hope to so many people that have been frightened out of their minds by the mass media?

The vaccine doesnt prevent you from catching the virus SARS-COV-2, it is 90%+ effective in preventing one from developing Disease and being hospitalized by the disease COVID-19.
        Last edited by tr6harris; 04-23-2021, 12:17 AM.
        '74 TR6 CF13007U aka "Mr. T"
        Custom Blue (Delft-Like) and New Tan (Formerly Mallard and New Tan)
        Points, Ballast Bypassed, Bosch Blue Coil, Moss Cobalt Wires, Champion RN12YC plugs.
        Peaks and tweaks, but the spirit of Original
        Redlines always.
        My wife is the Driver, I'm just the Mechanic....

Comment

Now they are saying that "herd immunity" likely will not be possible with this virus.

So much conflicting information out there.

But the deaths are real. There is a bakery not too far from where I live and it's been owned by the same family since 1969. I go there every day for lunch as it's fantastic. The founder developed COVID some time in January and died in mid March. I'd guess he was mid 70's, but he was in good shape. I was shocked as I'd see him working there quite often (his 3 sons took over the day to day operations a while ago) and he was a rock.

I also know 2 other people who have come down with COVID. My wife's sister being one them and she has it right now.

Last edited by ChandlerEast; 04-23-2021, 07:47 AM.

Comment

1957...I was about 12 when I caught the Asian Flu....I was hospitalized and according to the doctor almost gone. Real or not I wasn't taking a chance with this one and took the Moderna shots....If the short term reaction of only about 4 hours that I had to the 2nd shot is any indication of the real thing....believe me you don't want it...the virus that is.
            Driving a 1973 TR6
            Doing ZS carb repairs
            email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

• bartman
              bartman commented
              Editing a comment
              My, Ken, 12 yrs old in 1957; you are a "youngster".

• poolboy
              poolboy commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, and Cormae wasn't even born yet.

Dave I now realize I didn't answer your question. CTR (The Connecticut Triumph Register) held its annual outing last fall at Wickham Park in Manchester, CT. I attended. As did about 70 other LBC owners. My guess is that the turnout was around 50% of what would be there in a "normal" year.

This year, the Connecticut MG club has scheduled its "British by the Sea" day in June. Last year's was cancelled. I plan to attend.

CTR will again have its outing in the fall. I plan to attend.

We talked locally about a "meet and greet" because there are new TR6 owners in our little section of the world. If it gets set up, I plan to attend.

As I understand it, by the middle of May all restrictions will be lifted in CT. Restaurants are already open for dine-in and have been for many months, albeit at reduced capacity. We have been going out to eat on occasion; masks are requested (or required depending on the location) to enter, but not required once seated. Bars (without food service) will be fully open and unrestricted also in May.

Each business owner has the right to require whatever he wishes; if masks are required within, it is posted at the door. I am fully in agreement with that - businesses are private property and the owner can put whatever restrictions he or she wants on customers, providing of course that civil rights are not violated. That seems like the best way to do things, let the owners and customers decide if they wish to enter or not.

I had a pretty severe reaction to the second Moderna shot, 3 days in bed with 103 fever. My wife had none and came away unscathed. Go figure. But that was a small price to pay to get immunized. And while the vaccine is "only" 95% effective, I am told it is 100% effective against hospitalization from COVID for normally healthy people. So I'm comfortable with groups, in businesses, and generally think we can get back to everyday life with only a few inconveniences (like wearing masks in places the owner directs it).

You can put me in any category of "whackos' you want, but I cringe at the thought of government officials issuing edicts to "flatten the curve" (which I supported wholeheartedly to protect the medical establishment) then broadening it to where the state can invade your house in a warrantless search and make arrests if there are more than some artificial limit in the number of people within (CT executive order 7nnn as I recall). There's no question in my mind that this whole episode has been a power grab by tyrannical leaders who want to control every phase of our lives and make us dependent. Our governor said that the past year has been tough but in his words he wad he kind of enjoyed it all. Sick bastard who killed several thousand elderly with intentional exposure to infected people. He should be tried for manslaughter.

Study Gov. Cuomo's response - intentionally sending thousands of elderly to die, and I say INTENTIONALLY, because I heard him say live on TV that he wouldn't let his mother be in a retirement home because of what was happening with the forced repatriation of sick elderly. Same thing in CT and NJ. It sickens me. I can't think of why anyone would say the government handled this crisis well.
            Last edited by bartman; 04-23-2021, 12:08 PM. Reason: spelling
            1976 TR-6 BRG - CF57239U
            Carbs by Poolboy
            Rear Camber Kit, Rear Hubs by Goodparts
            Gear Reduction Starter by TSI
            Distributor by British Vacuum

Comment

The local all British club here normally holds their big meet in May but it has been resheduled for September partly because of Covid but mostly because of availability of the Fairgrounds site where its been held the last few years.......well except last year of couse and previous year because of rain.
              I will definitely attend.
              As for the shots, the wife and I both got the Moderna version, she had some ill effects from the second, but nothing serious.
              Masks are still required here in CA and the state has surpassed Hawaii in least infections er capita, so we're going to recall the govenor in a special election a few months before the midterms.

CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
              2nd owner, since 1975
              Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

Even if we all here in the US get our shots tomorrow, there's still the entire Third World where the virus will continue to mutate, no matter what we do.

So with that knowledge, I am going to live my life as if COVID doesn't exist. I can't take it anymore.

In answer to Dave's question, I am going to do everything*.

I hope to see you at the next meeting, Dave. I'm vaxxed.

*If COVID mutates and starts killing 2% of vaxxed people, I will go back onto my palatial estate on the Cincinnati Frontier and hole up.
                1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1973 Harvest Yellow MGB V8

Comment

Originally posted by bartman View Post
                  Dave I now realize I didn't answer your question. CTR (The Connecticut Triumph Register) held its annual outing last fall at Wickham Park in Manchester, CT. I attended. As did about 70 other LBC owners. My guess is that the turnout was around 50% of what would be there in a "normal" year.
                  That is about what I expected. My TR6 is out of commission until late summer, so I won't be participating in much this year. I am trying to get a feel for what to expect at the shows I attend, enter, and run. Planning events in this climate is not easy.

Like I said about the Concours, I've decided to risk attending outdoor events (especially in larger venues where I can avoid the maskless). We've had a few tours locally that have been well received, but most of those involve a restaurant visit (indoor dining) that I still find quite risky. That'd be especially true of some of the rural areas around here where covid precautions are (at best) frowned on. I haven't dined in a restaurant in 15 months and I doubt I'll start any time soon.

But the TR6 will be on the road later this year regardless..., as long as there are drive-thru's.
                  Last edited by [email protected]; 04-23-2021, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by baws View Post
                    The local all British club here normally holds their big meet in May but it has been resheduled for September...
                    We did exactly the same thing for our British Car Day, only due to covid concerns. The normally mid-July meet will be held here in mid-September.

Comment

P.S. (post-shot) World

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,458   Posts: 489,752   Members: 14,978   Active Members: 579
                    Welcome to our newest member, icomoljekogim.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                    X