The joys of going blind and seeing double

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The joys of going blind and seeing double

Back in 2019 when I went for an eye exam they told me I had a cataract in my right eye and a small one developing in my left eye.
    They gave me a new prescription for my glasses and told me to come back in a year.
    My vision slowly got worse and It was affecting my ability to read read signs.
    A year later I went for a checkup and they told me that if my eyes got any worse that I would not be able to drive.
    Here in British Columbia, Canada basic cataract surgery is covered by health care but you are put on a waiting list.
    If your case is more urgent they will move you forward in the waiting list.
    I told them I am a single guy and that I do not have anyone to drive me around so they moved me up in the list.
    I thought it would still be along wait because of the covid thing but my first surgery for my right eye was scheduled on the 30th of December.
    I was nervous about the surgery but it was over in about twenty minutes and I was out of the door.
    The next surgery was scheduled for the 21st of January 2021.
    The 21day wait for the next surgery was not too bad as I removed the right lense out of my glasses and it worked okay as the blurry image from my left eye was just a blur and I could see clearly with my right eye.
    So I had the left eye done when things got interesting.
    As my left eye healed I discovered that I had double vision.
    I was seeing two images one above the other.
    I stopped driving as it was quite disorienting seeing the yellow line split into two when coming into a curve in the highway.
    To read I had to buy some reading glasses and blank one eye with masking tape.
    This thread I am typing is with one eye.
    I talked to the surgeon and he did a simple test and he told me that the only way to correct this is with surgery on the muscles in my left eye or corrective lenses.
    I told him that surgery was out of the picture so he told me to wait 6 weeks before I see my optometrist.
    On March 04 I am seeing my optometrist for corrective lenses that will also have progressive reading lenses in them.
    My surgeon told me to drive I can get an old pair of glasses and pop out the lenses and cover the right opening with a translucent film so my right vision is just a blur.
    I have done that and it does work, however I am limiting my driving just to short trips to get groceries.
    Apart from the double vision is that I can see again and it is amazing!!
    And when I see something really cool I get to see it twice!!

I apologize for this wordy spiel but I thought many of you guys are also having to face this thing.

Cheers
    Byron

Some 20 years ago I had laser surgery to correct my vision, after having worn glasses for almost 40 years. The results approached miraculous. The surgeon I chose had performed his procedure on several well known athletes, and I figured if they felt comfortable risking a nine figure career, then the doctor was a good one. He did tell me that I would eventually need reading glasses, which was true, but my distance vision is still 20/20. (My reading glasses are $5 from Amazon).

I hope you can find someone who can help you. Is it possible that over time your brain can adapt its visual processing and correct your double vision to some degree?
    Last edited by UberXY; 02-23-2021, 09:52 AM.
    SR
    73 TR6. HT/AC/OD
    86 930
    91 535i

Comment

I too hope your vision improves, Byron...it really is sort a 'quality of life' issue.
      I had cataracts removed just about 10 years ago....one at a time...What went in was multi focal lenses...
      I had halos around nighttime lights and glare from headlights....I thought I had made a bad choice...but as years passed my perception has changed...maybe I just got used to it...I don't know but aside from that it's been nice not trying to keep up with reading glasses.
      Driving a 1973 TR6
      Doing ZS carb repairs
      email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

The joys of going blind and seeing double

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,337   Posts: 488,569   Members: 13,702   Active Members: 652
      Welcome to our newest member, AzizSem.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
      X