Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TR6 passion through the generations; how did you get here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also grew up in south jersey (Atlantic City) in the 50-60-70's. Bought my first TR6 a "72" in Cherry hill NJ. Put 92,000+ miles on that car before I had to sell it. Always wanted another so about 7-8 years ago found a "76". Modified it quite a bit to my liking and still enjoy taking it out for a spin. Only 2 other people in my whole neighborhood that have any interest. Know very few friends/people I have met that have a similar interest. Seems to be less and less as time moves on.

Comment

As the one who started this thread, let me tell you my LBC/TR story....

Bought my first car, a 69 MG Midget before I could even drive a stick. Had to have a friend drive it home! The pic is not my car, but this is what it looked like. Always thought of the color as lemon yellow it being my intro to LBCs I thought it was a bit of a 'lemon' given what I had to pay to keep it running as I learned how to take care of it. BTW, took a whole weekend initially to replace points given my inexperience and the arm gymnastics required!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	155220_04738766ce9fff72.jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	534677

That car though, like all our first convertibles, started the LBC addiction....
      After a few years, feeling more comfortable with doing maintenance, I started to think of upgrading my ride. That turned into a 71 TR6. This pic is the car.

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 5.21.44 PM.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	534678

That car was sold a few years later to free up some cash for my first house... A Volkswagen Squareback became the daily driver.
      Within a few years though I came across an offer I could not refuse and bought a 71 MGB-GT. Pic not my car but looks just like it.
      Great solid car, enjoyed it's 'SUV like' cargo area

Name:	10695546.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	534679

A few years later, ss luck would have it, I came across a TR6 deal, that was an offer I could not refuse!
      A 74 TR6 with hardtop and overdrive. The problem was it needed a transmission and was not running, but for $700 it was a steal.
      That's the car (and me) circa 1982. If you looked at it at the right angle, you could see good paint and a shine, but in reality there was a lot
      of the car that looked like that red and white primer on the hood.

Name:	617826409.025011.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	534680

Eventually sold the MGB-GT as I wanted to put focus on the TR6. Interesting note, while I had both cars for some 7 years, I was never without a car.
      They seemed to take turns when something was needed.
      The TR6 engine was growing tired, and after finding a great mechanic, had the engine rebuilt with what I believe was an S2 cam, the head was ported and polished, and
      triple Webers (found in a junkyard for $300) was installed.

In the 90s I started to collect parts for restoration including stainless headers and exhaust, Wizard radiator, AAW harness, new interior, all seals, etc. Also wanted to add an A/F equipment and
      settled on the Innovate stuff. I was too busy with work to do much of any of this so looked for a shop to do it. Although I thought I found one and started the process around 2009.
      Fast forward to 2019 and the car was still not complete but it was clear I needed to finish it. The color change paint job and bodywork was nice, The top install and seat covers done well, but there were lots to do and redo for that matter.

Here you see it raised on my QUickJack (love that thing!). New Rewind 6" wheels with Yokohama tires. Older bumpers without the over-riders etc.

For me this all goes back to the the MG Midget, that opened the door that let LBC passion in.

Dan

Name:	IMG_2383.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	534681

74 TR6 CF18522U0 - hardtop, overdrive
      Triple Webers, Italian version with Cannon manifold
      TRF headers, oversized Aluminum radiator
      Advance Auto Wire harness
      Innovate Motorsports A/F gauge with DLG-1, SSI-4, and PL-1
      Konig Rewind wheels 16x7
      Goodparts brake master cylinder and rear wheel cylinders

Comment

Looks great. i take it that the car is done now and you are enjoying it?
      1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1959 Red TR3 (Wife's)

Comment

• dantortorici
        dantortorici commented
        Editing a comment
        No, not yet but am anticipating getting it on the road (and re-registered) in a month or so.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0814200946.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.96 MB ID:	534734

I didn't have anything close to the money needed in my youth to own even a used sports car. In fact in order to go to college my father's insurance company required I turn in my driver's license to the state so that I could get off his policy and afford college. From age 19 to 21 I never got behind the wheel of a car of any kind. My 21st birthday present was a 9 year old, dangerously rusted 1971 Datsun wagon and 6 months worth of insurance. I was shaking so badly at getting it my dad had to drive it home for me. Nine months later I'd saved up enough working part time in my senior year at Pitt to buy a car in decent shape for grad school in Iowa, a 1960 Ford Falcon...about as un-sports car like as they come.

(Less than a year after I got it the Datsun's engine fell out on the street with my grandfather driving 35 mph. I told him it would.)

That said, before that time when I was in high school (and still was able to occasionally drive Dad's old Ambassador wagon) the largest Triumph dealer in Pittsburgh was 2 miles from my house very near McDonalds. From 1974 to 1976 I would admire the TR6s along Route 22 every time I passed. However it was a bit like admiring Raquel Welsh. I never thought I'd meet her..., or them. It was a different world to me

Cut to 1989. I'm an environmental professional working for the state of PA, married, and recently in my first house. I'm restoring the 1960 Falcon (which I should have kept) and enjoying as well a nice driver quality 1969 Coronet 500 hardtop (that really I should have kept). I see a rough 1972 TR6 for sale for less than I could get for the Coronet, so bang...It's mine. It was the first of now 4 TR6s I've owned, and the worst. With a bad frame from a poor accident repair it could never be made right and became a parts car (I got took!). It's wheels will be on my current 1972 with new paint and tires next week.

The high school plate and dealer frame above are displayed in my family room to remind me of those days. I love the red Triumph badge on the frame. A&L still exists, selling Jaguar/BMW/Land Rover products having dropped Nissan more recently.

(In 2020 I am STILL the only person in my LARGE extended family to ever have owned a European car.)
      Attached Files
      Last edited by [email protected]; 08-14-2020, 11:45 AM.

Comment

• dantortorici
        dantortorici commented
        Editing a comment
        Great story! I think is the only story I have heard where McDonald's had a connection to driving the TR passion!
        Dealership near McDonald's, that was fate!

Great stories, my triumph experience started when I was ten years old and my father bought my brother a 72 Sienna Brown car for his 16th B'day. The year was 1976. In 1981, the car had a busted tranny and was sitting in our basement. My brother was living in California and the TR6 was being ignored. I asked dad, "What are you going to do with the car?" He said that if I could fix it, I could have it. Hum, hell yes!!!! So, I dug into that tranny and got another tranny to use for parts and got it fixed. Started driving it my freshman year. Had many dates with my girlfriend in that car. We must have been much smaller then because I can't imagine doing what we did then, today. Met a dude named Steve that year and he bought a beautiful 1974 Sapphire Blue car. We started hanging out and working on the cars at my house after school. My house was the house in the neighborhood that all of the kids went to. There was always people either playing pool, shooting baskets or working on cars in the garage. My mother always had pizza for us. She was a wonderful mom. Anyway, Steve and I found a car to rebuild and with our parent's support, we did a frame off restore at age 17. That was fun. We continued thru high school, but when we went to college, Steve sold his car. I drove mine to college until I moved on to an RX7. Steve traveled the world with the Navy after college and I went into the business world. About 10 years ago, I found Steve's car and bought it. It has sat in my shed since collecting dust. When I bought te car, I gave it to Steve telling him to rebuild it for his son's college graduation. Graduation came and went, but amazingly this summer Steve and his son Ben started the restoration. Cant wait for OleBlue to hit the road again.

Comment

BTW, our mothers ambushed us with the newspaper lady. They made us take that picture.

Comment

• dantortorici
          dantortorici commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow, what a story! Loved the article! Thanks for sharing.
          Dan

Just joined 6-Pack 10 minutes ago and saw this interesting article/blog and decided to read it and then respond.

I bought my first Triumph in 1968 upon my second tour in RVN--a beautiful BRG TR 250 with a tan interior, wire wheels, red line tires and that wonderful Laycock de Normanville overdrive. Drove it until I was reassigned to Germany and started in on Porsches--seven of them.

Fast forward 50 years and I bought my second Triumph--a 1972 TR6--Damson in color with a black interior just one year ago. It left the factory with overdrive and a hard top and sometime over the last 4 decades or so they disappeared. Two months ago I put an A Type Overdrive back in it and just found a very nice hardtop which needs to be restored.

Forget how much fun these cars are and other than finding it a little harder to get in and out of, my "new Triumph" is a wonderful reminder of some good times a half century ago.

Looking forward to learning more about TR6's from the knowledgeable folks on 6-Pack.

Bill

Comment

• SapphireBlue72
          SapphireBlue72 commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome to 6-pack, Bill. Thanks for the membership contribution- it helps keep this amazing website alive.
          Great people here, you'll see. I had a '68 with A-Type and a '72 , also. The OD is a really fun feature.
          Any problems, folks here have the answers.

• skootch13
          skootch13 commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome Bill. Post a picture of the car that you have now. We like pictures. When posting, don't use the camera icon on the left. use the notepad one on the right side of the screen in the box where you type.

• dantortorici
          dantortorici commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome, Bill,
          Good to hear you have circled back to Triumph.
          ' finding it a little harder to get in and out of,'
          Yeah, so true, had to laugh at that.
          Dan

TR6 passion through the generations; how did you get here?

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,196   Posts: 487,076   Members: 12,348   Active Members: 704
      Welcome to our newest member, Alimashify.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
      X