1/25 scale models anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/25 scale models anyone?

As a kid I built dozens of 1/25 scale model cars, trucks and some planes. Unfortunately I burned them up or blew them up with firecrackers as my interests changed. I got the bug to build again a year or so ago and started buying some kits. My first was a 1966 Ford Galaxie 500. My first real car was a four door '65 Galaxie that I bought from my parents in 1976. That car was white with red interior so I painted the model the same colors and added Cragers to it to make it look less like a family hauler The next kit was something I always wanted to build: Tom Daniel's Red Baron. My older brother built the Monkeemobile back in the day so to commemorate his death 5 years ago, I built that car. Next was the Little Red Wagon-the first model I've built with opening doors. Next was a Peterbilt 352 "Cabover". This was one that I built as a teen but torched it, so the second time around I painted it the same colors but with more time spent on the little details. My most recent build was a '68 VW Beetle. My dad had a 1960 (?) black Bug back in the mid '60s so of course I painted this one to match. I consider myself a novice at this but can see my skills getting better with each build. I have a 1/25 scale Triumph GT6+ kit that I'll be building later this year. I would like to find a TR6 kit but I don't think one exists at this time.

Anyone else out there that is into modeling cars, planes, boats, etc.?

1972 TR6, CC75294L
    W58 5 speed / Eaglegate conversion
    Goodparts rear hubs, trailing arm brackets and steering rack mounts, Prestige Autowood Hawaiian koa wood dash panel

Peterbilt Cabover
    1972 TR6, CC75294L
    Goodparts rear hubs, trailing arm brackets and steering rack mounts, Prestige Autowood Hawaiian koa wood dash panel

Comment

Little Red Wagon
      1972 TR6, CC75294L

Comment

I used to. Cars, Shios and Planes.

I still have one of my 240z as I wanted it to look like as I out together the actual car.

The model I still have is blue, but the actual car in brandywine is long gone....

Lazy and have a few Die casts now.....

BTW - Nice model!
        '74 TR6 CF13007U aka "Mr. T"
        Custom Blue (Delft-Like) and New Tan (Formerly Mallard and New Tan)
        Points, Ballast Bypassed, Bosch Blue Coil, Moss Cobalt Wires, Champion RN12YC plugs.
        Peaks and tweaks, but the spirit of Original
        Redlines always.
        My wife is the Driver, I'm just the Mechanic....

Comment

Nice work on the v dub!

I built dozens of models as a kid. Cars, boats, airplanes, but mostly cars. The high point of my efforts was a Christmas gift: the 1/8 scale Monogram Model T hot rod, which at the time cost about 8x the price of an AMT 1/24 scale kit. Wish I still had it.

Triple down draft Strombergs, IIRC.

SR
          73 TR6. HT/AC/OD
          86 930
          91 535i

Comment

Very nice looking bug model!

Wish I had a dollar for every hour I spent putting models together...cars, boats, planes, submarines, etc.

Cheers

Wolf
            76 TR6 CF58170UO (The Lady)
            72 TR6 CC80068UO (The Slut)
            68 TR250 CD4893L (The Mistress)

Comment

I still build them on occasion. I too as a kid built a ton of them with the goal seemingly to be to see how fast I could slap it together. Then later we would burn it or shoot it up with a BB gun or inflict some other horror on it.

I've built 6 or 7 over the recent years some working out better than others. The hardest part being to get a nice, semi-professional looking shine on the body. I have an Iwata air brush which makes all the difference in the world but I still struggle to get a really nice finish coat on the body. Yours looks really good.
              73 TR6
              Dundee, IL
              My TR6

Comment

Looks good Safire6. How about pics of the others?

Just this week I had a conversation with someone about building models as a kid and would it be fun to do it as an adult. I think I will skip building another because I would be very disappointed to do it and realize that my patience and skill level has not progressed one iota from my 10 year old self.

I am very enheartened to know that I am not the only kid who burned, blew up or shot their models 10 minutes after they were finished. For a few years I've been wondering if this is something I needed to work out with a therapist. Guess I'm good.
                1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1973 Harvest Yellow MGB V8

Comment

I remember spending countless hours putting those kits together on the old green carpeting in the basement. I think as kids, our detail levels weren't that great with glue that yellowed on the white parts. If the cars bodies weren't molded in color, I would build them in white. My parents didn't believe in buying the needed supplies except glue. Having said that, most of us had models that although resembled the picture on the box, the product more or less looked like a silhouette of the model with yellowed glue and crooked decals or in my case strands of green glued in fibers that were destined to become blown up with fireworks. Funny as I do not recall where any of my models are. My brother also had his collection of better built models (older) but his too mysteriously vanished over the years. I remember one of his was a brown 70's van with engine compartment details down to the spark plug wires, the tan shag carpet and the "keep on trucking" decal on the back with the lane divider scrollwork and a shoe. That was in 1977. I did get creative with a torch and used the heat to deform some of my cars into a real NYC styled vehicle!
                  Wish I could rewind the clock and start over.... Great memories.

Comment

That's beautiful Safire!!! Wonderful finish and detail.

I built a few static models as a kid, but hundreds of flying models over my lifetime. I think it had to move to really capture my attention.

I've been looking for some 1/43rd scale Triumph models to build. I have all the painting and finishing equipment to do it all correctly. Only thing I lack is the kit and time.
                    1973 TR6 – BRG with beige interior, custom LED lighting
                    Hardtop, OD, Rollbar, 15”Koenigs
                    Bored, balanced and polished motor with PI cam, hi-comp head, triple DCOE's
                    Header, custom exhaust, custom alternator, e-fan
                    Lowered, poly suspension, Konis and rear anti roll-bar
                    www.coventrysfinest.blogspot.com

Comment

I once built a B-52 with a 36" wing span. I painted it in camo colors and planned to suspend it in my son's room when he was born.

Fate interceded - we had a girl, and my wife said NO girl will have a B-52 in her room. Not even if I repainted it pink.

Plans destroyed.
                      1976 TR-6 BRG - CF57239U
                      Carbs by Poolboy
                      Rear Camber Kit, Rear Hubs by Goodparts
                      Gear Reduction Starter by TSI
                      Distributor by British Vacuum

Comment

I once built a B-52 with a 36" wing span. I painted it in camo colors and planned to suspend it in my son's room when he was born.

Fate interceded - we had a girl, and my wife said NO girl will have a B-52 in her room. Not even if I repainted it pink.

Plans destroyed.
                        Major Jensen, B-52 pilot.

SR
                        73 TR6. HT/AC/OD
                        86 930
                        91 535i

Comment

Looks good Safire6. How about pics of the others?

I think I will skip building another because I would be very disappointed to do it and realize that my patience and skill level has not progressed one iota from my 10 year old self.
                          I think you'd be quite surprised to find how wrong you are on this. I know my patience and attention to detail as a kid was non-existent. Now it takes me months of weekend to finish a single model.
                          73 TR6
                          Dundee, IL
                          My TR6

Comment

Nice work on the VW. I built WWII airplanes mostly. Built a model of the Cutty Sark one time and the sails were tough to rig. So so skills here. I have a Red TR3 kit still in the box. I will send it to the first person that can build it to look like the 3 that Todd and Kevin pulled out of the barn. Real patina is hard to duplicate.

Comment

I'm amazed they still make those models. Between the need today for even a parent to show ID to buy the paint and glue, then the competing distractions of smart phones and video games, it doesn't seem they'd sell many. As a kid I got into the Estes model rockets, sending various critters on a ride, or loading them up with fireworks. Can't do that any longer without getting in deep trouble.

Comment

1/25 scale models anyone?

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 40,032   Posts: 494,458   Members: 56,913   Active Members: 138
                              Welcome to our newest member, julian30.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

• Sep 10
                                01:00 AM | The annual British Car Day in Cincinnati is September 11th.

Live music, food, and beer trucks

Two new classes added, British...
                              • No more items.
                              Working...
                              X