Road Trip in October!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Trip in October!!

A little back story... I got married to my wife in December 2013. We were going to do a courthouse wedding, but as we had a vacation planned to Las Vegas we decided it would be fun to involve Elvis. We have no regrets and would do it again in a heartbeat! The plan was always to have a big wedding later, but as it turns out we both work a lot (I'm a certified financial planner, she's an attorney) and we both prefer to spend money on other things like cars (we bought 3 this year--a Mk I Spitfire, a Z3, and a new Mini Cooper S) and a new house (just had one built with a 4.5 car garage, and immediately put a lift in it). As you might imagine, spending spare cash on a party was a lower priority, so planning the party got put off later and later. Finally, we decided to go back to Vegas (this time with family and friends) and have a small "real" ceremony and reception there. It's slated for early October. She sold the idea to me when she suggested we drive out there instead of fly (we live about an hour west of Chicago)... in the TR6!

I'm finishing the restoration now. The body work is done and it's about to get sprayed, the overdrive is back together and being tested, the engine has been rebuilt, the suspension brand new.... I just ordered a good $2k worth of remaining parts and will be fitting new tires to a set of Dayton wire wheels. It should be a blast to drive in about 5 weeks!

The trip is scheduled for the end of September through early October. I was thinking it would be a good idea to start getting in touch with club members between here and there--just in case anything goes wrong, and also to see if there were suggestions for things we should see or Triumph club events that might line up with our trip. Thoughts?

Well, there's Triumphest, the annual multi, wes tcoast TR club event held every year about that time.
    This year it's in Del Mar, just north of San Diego, from October 8th through October 10th.
    I can send you more details if you're interested.
    CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
    2nd owner, since 1975
    Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

I've never been to San Diego.... Let's get some info and I'll pitch it to the wife!

Comment

You can google Triumphest 2015 and get more details, the host hotel is the Hilton San Diego/Del Mar.
        The event is much like a VTR meet, but instead of a Concours there is a "Funcours", where if your car is clean and well presented, you get an award. There's a hospitality party on Friday night (more fun than the Sat. night banquet), plus the rally after the car show Saturday morning. There's usually an autocross and always a gymkhana which is always a hoot to participate in and watch.
        Anywhere from 100 to 200 TR's normally attend, from WA, OR, AZ and CA mostly, but the event pulls in TR's from all over, including Canada.
        CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
        2nd owner, since 1975
        Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

From Vegas, just jump on I-15 South for about 4.5 hours....
          '74 TR6 CF13007U aka "Mr. T"
          Custom Blue (Delft-Like) and New Tan (Formerly Mallard and New Tan)
          Points, Ballast Bypassed, Bosch Blue Coil, Moss Cobalt Wires, Champion RN12YC plugs.
          Peaks and tweaks, but the spirit of Original
          Redlines always.
          My wife is the Driver, I'm just the Mechanic....

Comment

First of all, congrats on your marriage.

+1 on taking a side trip to Triumphest in San Diego. The event hotel is in a great coastal location. I lived there a long time. In fact, to tie this into your marriage comments, I proposed to my Wife only about a 5 minute drive from that hotel.

Also, on the Sunday after Triumphest, Oct 11th is the San Diego British Car Day held downtown along the waterfront, so lots of reasons to extend your trip to San Diego !

Comment

As far as long trip taking in the 6. If I were in your shoes, I would contact Hermann VanDer Akken(?) The gent who came up with the Aisin tranny convert for the 6. He and his wife are often taking long distance trips. In their 6. So he might have valuable info to share.

Comment

Road Trip in October!!

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,859   Posts: 493,133   Members: 56,868   Active Members: 174
              Rovercooper
              Welcome to our newest member, Rovercooper.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X