Warming Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warming Up

I find my car to be much like myself when I get up in the morning. Some grumbling, moving slow, not really with it until that first cup of coffee. Like me, once the car is warmed up it's happy as can be, but generally it takes 10 minutes or so to get to that point. I know during that time not only the engine oil but tranny and diff oils are coming up to operating temperature until they reach their "happy" zone. So I'm just curious as to whether others experience this (the car, not you!) and how long it takes your car to be really ready to go?

Pretty much the same here, Dave.
    I don't like using the choke.
    It just fools a person in to believing the engine is ready to go.
    Therefore I reduce it soon after the engine starts and if the engine needs a little encouragement I feather the pedal.
    Once the coolant temp gauge needle begins to move, I feel it's OK to put the tranny in gear and take off slowly.
    I keep an eye on the oil pressure gauge and once it starts to drop, I feel it's OK to step on it.
    So, from firing up to that point might be 15+ minutes depending on the ambient.
    If I'm in a hurry and don't have that much time, I'll take another car, but me in a hurry...that does not compute.
    Driving a 1973 TR6
    Doing ZS carb repairs
    email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

For the most part, yes, I have the same experience. I do start on full choke, and the engine (touch wood) always fires first time. I immediately go to half choke or less, as full is clearly too rich, and it wont idle nicely. As soon as I see some temperature register on the Temp gauge, choke goes right in - that happens about 3/4 mile from home typically, and the car runs fine from that point on.

The weird part is that on two given days, sometimes the car feels willing and able and full of beans, and on others - could be the next morning in identical conditions - it feels reluctant and slow, and rattly.

Much like myself.
      Keith, Huntsville AL, 1971 TR6
      10.0:1 CR gasflowed head | Weber DCOEs | CP "150hp" Cam | Good Parts Ram-Air induction | Distibutor by Advanced | Lightened flywheel | Phoenix SS Exhaust System | HVDA 5-Speed | Good Parts R200B Diff and CV axles | Good Parts suspension and anti-roll bars | Willwood Calipers and Vented Rotors | Good Parts Dual Brake Master Cylinder | Konig Rewinds | Boyd 15 gal tank | Miata Seats and Mr Mikes covers | Carl Visser dash | Mohair hood | Gas-strut bonnet and boot lift kits

Comment

I sometimes wonder if injecting the coffee would speed the warming up process? :unsure:

As to the cars, both the TR and the E require "running up" before take off for them to be up to snuff.
        CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
        2nd owner, since 1975
        Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

The two or three minutes that we all wait is passed more quickly if one checks the tires, turn signals and brake lights, along with making sure the mirrors are adjusted before liftoff.

At least that works for me to stop me from rushing out, because like Ken, I take mine of choke as soon as it will run on it's own.

Comment

I find my car to be much like myself when I get up in the morning. Some grumbling, moving slow, not really with it until that first cup of coffee.

I agree with the slower warm-up compared to modern daily drivers.
            I find that all three of my LBC's need a bit of time to warm-up sufficiently to idle properly, and until the transmission is well warmed-up, I shift with a deliberate pause in neutral to 'baby' the synchro's. Once very warm then the TR6 transmission can take fast shifts, and downshifts.

What type of coffee do you feed Miles the TR6? regular of premium, supreme, hi-test? Tim Horton's, Starbuck's, Second Cup, other?

My preferred coffee is a Latte with an extra shot, in the appropriate cup holder.
            Henri
            1980 TR8
            1971 MGB GT

Comment

About the same here Dave. Like PB, I watch the oil pressure. The engine will warm a little sooner than the oil in the sump. That takes 2 to 3 miles depending on the air temp.

Comment

One other thing that I forgot to mention is that with a triple carb setup and the GP triple cable, you don't want too much raw fuel going in there during warm up, so I watch it closely to get it off choke sooner, rather than later.

Since I added the triple cable, the warm up in really cold weather is much smoother and faster. Not too much difference when it's warmer.

Comment

I always believed that huge cast-iron block is not warm when the temp needle moves - it takes 10 to 15 minutes for the whole mass to heat up. I find the oil pressure stays at 75+ for 10 to 15 minutes. Modern all-aluminum engines seem to warm up much more quickly.

I warm up the car for a few minutes because like the others, I don't like to drive with the choke out. After starting, I press the choke in as the RPMs build, allowing the car to sit at about 1000 until it will idle without choke, then drive off slowly. Wheel bearings, transmission fluid, and the like, are not warm until they are driven a bit.

Bonus - by driving slowly down my street I don't annoy the neighbors with the loudness of the Triumph compared to modern cars. So they think I'm being considerate when I'm actually driving carefully to warm the car up!
                  1976 TR-6 BRG - CF57239U
                  Carbs by Poolboy
                  Rear Camber Kit, Rear Hubs by Goodparts
                  Gear Reduction Starter by TSI
                  Distributor by British Vacuum

Comment

One of the advantages of having an oil temp gauge is it tells you how long it really takes for the engine to reach optimal operating temperature. As bartman points out, these are big cast iron lumps and it is really surprising just how long it takes the oil to get above 50C

In winter, (California style), with ambient temps in the low 40's, it takes a good 15 to 20 minutes of actual driving for the gauge to start showing a reading!
                    CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
                    2nd owner, since 1975
                    Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

I always let my Six warm up for about 10-15 before driving, not because I like it warm, I just like the smell of exhaust fumes in my garage. Did you guys know you're supposed to open the door while warming up your car!? :laugh: (implied sarcasm)

Comment

I drive off as soon as i find the sweet spot with the choke where it will run smoothly with the least amount of choke. I take it nice and easy, accelerating softly and keep the RPM's, down until the water temp is normal. When leaving the house, I have one or two Yield signs followed by a Stop sign in a half mile or less (depending on which way I'm going). After the Stop I normally push the choke all the way in and by the time I come to the next Stop, the engine is running good with no choke.

From the Owners Manual:
                        After starting the engine,
                        cylinder wear can be minimized
                        if the
                        engine is warmed up quickly
                        by driving away when the indicator
                        lights are extinguished
                        . ????Maintain an engine speed of approxi-
                        mately 1,500 r.p.m. until the "cold start control" can be pushed
                        fully in. ???In warm climates, use of the control may be unneces-
                        sary. ???Avoid ?the? use? of ?full? throttle? during? the ?warming-up
                        period. A thermostat incorporated in the cooling system enables
                        the engine to be warmed up quickly from cold.

IMPORTANT. ??The ?'cold? start? control'? must ?not ?be ?used ?for
                        a longer period than necessary.
                        R3
                        Jim Herter,͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏Copperas Cove, TX
                        Original Owner ֍ 1970 TR6 CC 50990 LO

Comment

I knew you did that, Jim.
                          That's why I went out and started my engine about 10 minutes before we dropped down off the Ridge that Wednesday morning, ol' bud.
                          Driving a 1973 TR6
                          Doing ZS carb repairs
                          email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

My pop used to drive me to school in our TR when we first got it. I was 10 years old. My dad had a fresh cup of coffee in his right hand every morning as we left the house. That put me in charge of choke and shifting gears the mile or two to school. I remember once the car was started, he would raise the RPM and I would let the choke in until smooth. Then I got to do the shifting all the way to school. Felt important for a ten year old. This thread made me remember that. Thanks

Comment

I knew you did that, Jim.
                              That's why I went out and started my engine about 10 minutes before we dropped down off the Ridge that Wednesday morning
                              And I knew that's why you were out there when I came out to start loading up my car.
                              R3
                              Jim Herter,͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏Copperas Cove, TX
                              Original Owner ֍ 1970 TR6 CC 50990 LO

Comment

Warming Up

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,859   Posts: 493,133   Members: 56,868   Active Members: 174
                              Rovercooper
                              Welcome to our newest member, Rovercooper.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X