Congratulations Mike Munson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations Mike Munson

Mike Munson, aka fasttrs, was the overall winner of the Kastner Cup race at Summit Point Raceway this morning. Well done, Mike.

Congratulations Mike! Missed you at the Mitty. Only a TR4 and a couple of Spits running to represent the marque.
    72 Pimento w/overdrive - Lilred
    67 4A Royal Blue - Lilblue

Comment

Congratulations Mike! Missed you at the Mitty. Only a TR4 and a couple of Spits running to represent the marque.
      Lou and others, there were over 50 TRiumph race cars at the Kastner Cup race at Summit point, WV, including at least one from California . That's why there were so few at The Mitty.

Comment

Lou, maybe we should all man up next year and head for the Kas Cup for a change. It looks to be about the same distance for us as it was for Roy Chinn to travel from Fayetteville to Road Atlanta...and that was a non-OD car.

I'd certainly consider it (with my 5-speed installed!)
        Keith, Huntsville AL, 1971 TR6
        10.0:1 CR gasflowed head | Weber DCOEs | CP "150hp" Cam | Good Parts Ram-Air induction | Distibutor by Advanced | Lightened flywheel | Phoenix SS Exhaust System | HVDA 5-Speed | Good Parts R200B Diff and CV axles | Good Parts suspension and anti-roll bars | Willwood Calipers and Vented Rotors | Good Parts Dual Brake Master Cylinder | Konig Rewinds | Boyd 15 gal tank | Miata Seats and Mr Mikes covers | Carl Visser dash | Mohair hood | Gas-strut bonnet and boot lift kits

Comment

Where's it going to be next year ?
          Driving a 1973 TR6
          Doing ZS carb repairs
          email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

Big congrats to Mike! B)

Have been following the build-up to the event on Facebook. Lotsa great videos and pics over there. I tried to find them on Youtube to crosspost them here, but looks like they are on Facebook only...
            1973 TR6 – BRG with beige interior, custom LED lighting
            Hardtop, OD, Rollbar, 15”Koenigs
            Bored, balanced and polished motor with PI cam, hi-comp head, triple DCOE's
            Header, custom exhaust, custom alternator, e-fan
            Lowered, poly suspension, Konis and rear anti roll-bar
            www.coventrysfinest.blogspot.com

Comment

The Kastner Cup race is held in a different part of the country every year. Next year, it will be out of easy range for those of you who frequent The Mitty. The location is Sears Point Raceway (now known as Sonoma Raceway) in Sonoma, CA. The race dates are April 1-3.

FYI, in the southeast every year, there's a race that typically has 12-15 TRiumph race cars. It is called the Wild Hare Weekend, is hosted by Vintage Drivers Club of America. The venue is Virginia International Raceway (a spectacular facility), and it usually takes place in mid April.

Comment

Sonoma- I'll be able to make that one, it's an easy drive from southern Oregon.

Congrats Mike! Maybe I'll be able to see you repeat next year.

Comment

Lou, maybe we should all man up next year and head for the Kas Cup for a change. It looks to be about the same distance for us as it was for Roy Chinn to travel from Fayetteville to Road Atlanta...and that was a non-OD car.

I'd certainly consider it (with my 5-speed installed!)
                  Crazy talk. Let's stick with the Mitty.
                  Keith, Huntsville AL, 1971 TR6
                  10.0:1 CR gasflowed head | Weber DCOEs | CP "150hp" Cam | Good Parts Ram-Air induction | Distibutor by Advanced | Lightened flywheel | Phoenix SS Exhaust System | HVDA 5-Speed | Good Parts R200B Diff and CV axles | Good Parts suspension and anti-roll bars | Willwood Calipers and Vented Rotors | Good Parts Dual Brake Master Cylinder | Konig Rewinds | Boyd 15 gal tank | Miata Seats and Mr Mikes covers | Carl Visser dash | Mohair hood | Gas-strut bonnet and boot lift kits

Comment

The Kastner Cup race is held in a different part of the country every year. Next year, it will be out of easy range for those of you who frequent The Mitty. The location is Sears Point Raceway (now known as Sonoma Raceway) in Sonoma, CA. The race dates are April 1-3.

FYI, in the southeast every year, there's a race that typically has 12-15 TRiumph race cars. It is called the Wild Hare Weekend, is hosted by Vintage Drivers Club of America. The venue is Virginia International Raceway (a spectacular facility), and it usually takes place in mid April.
                    2.5 hours from the friendly Dude Ranch confines.

A veritable hop, skip, and a yodel.
                    "PD" - 1973 Mallard TR6

Comment

It was a very good weekend, just wished the weather was less of a factor for the race.

The first day saw two Spitfires get together and Jerry Barker lose an axle in his Herald. One of the Spitfires was able to continue through the weekend. Jerry later replaced the axles with ones from the wrecked Spit (Steve Groh's old car) and got out for the Kastner Cup race, starting from the back.

We played it safe in our camp (Dick Stockton's TR4). A few laps in traffic in the first session (black flag, busy track) meant he had a pretty slow time (1:33.9). Most went out again in the second session on Friday. We ran the race Saturday morning to set a faster time. They moved some groups around so Dick started mid-pack. He was up to 5th by the first lap, did a 1:29.5 catching Bob Lang, got to 3rd after Sam pulled in (Lotus Elan 26R clone and Mike's TR6 up front) and just cruised to the finish saving the car, figuring he could work things out if he started close enough to the front for the Kastner Cup.

Sam and Mike were running up front in the 28's and high 27s. Sam was pulling in early playing the same game we were, unfortunately, Sam had a prior commitment and had to leave Saturday night, missing the Kastner Cup.

We knew weather might be an issue heading into this weekend, and it was. About a hour before and through the original scheduled time for the Kastner Cup race the skies opened up with lightning, a lot of wind, and HEAVY rain - there were rivers throughout the track and paddock, and some paddock spaces had ~4" of water in them. The organizers kept pushing back the time of the race, but the track was in rough shape and they wouldn't have been able to clean all the pea gravel that had flowed back on the track in time.

So...

The Kastner Cup was moved to first session this morning. It spitted up to the call for grid making for a moist surface and there were some residual puddles from yesterday's deluge. With Sam gone and Kent Bain in his flyweight Spitfire skipping the race, w

Comment

The Kastner Cup was moved to first session this morning. It spitted up to the call for grid making for a moist surface and there were some residual puddles from yesterday's deluge. With Sam gone and Kent Bain in his flyweight Spitfire skipping the race, we were up from 2nd (would have started 4th oa). Dick ran with Mike for 4 laps or so, but then it started raining in the middle of the race. After almost looping it and the car stepping out sideways on the straightaways, he backed off. Now the guys with more tread on their tires started coming up through the pack (Mark Wheatley, Tony Drews, Jeff Snook). A black flag all for a TR6 that ended up on top of the barriers stopped the race 2/3 of the way through. A few drivers (Dick S., Jerry B., and Scott J.) couldn't get their cars slowed down to get into pit lane safely and had to circulate the track again. Race control wasn't too thrilled with this and made them sit the rest of the race out. Others had pulled behind pit wall on their own. This made for a 2-3 lap (I had stopped watching by this point) sprint to the finish. Tony Drews had the most tread and got up to 2nd oa. He would have passed Mike if he had a few more laps. b
                        added edits.

Comment

It was a very good weekend
                          Thanks for this most excellent report, Bob. I had it on my calendar to be there, but then the son of a very close friend chose that weekend to get married. I was at the wedding in body, my mind was in WV.

Comment

I found this link on another Forum to this video.
                            https://www.facebook.com/BulletDVD
                            Driving a 1973 TR6
                            Doing ZS carb repairs
                            email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

I uploaded Dick's video from Sat. morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my65yxWENFE
                              He's doing pretty well for turning 82 in a few weeks. Does all his own engine assembly and car prep too.

Same race from Tony Drew's car. The rear facing camera is entertaining at the start
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAp_LOdvJwI

Comment

Congratulations Mike Munson

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,863   Posts: 493,174   Members: 56,868   Active Members: 174
                              southjersey29
                              Welcome to our newest member, southjersey29.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X