No announcement yet.

The Painter Called

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well here are a few shots sent by the painter. Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow, put the other badges on, and go cruising.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TRick6; 09-12-2022, 12:51 PM.
    Best Therapy
    http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/AlbertGary.htm
    Zoom Zoom

Comment

Looks liquid. Very Very nice.

1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1973 Harvest Yellow MGB V8

Comment

• TRick6
        TRick6 commented
        Editing a comment
        That is what buffed clear coat will do for you.

Looks really nice Al!!
      Brian Cunningham
      1973 CF4325U Overdrive has been added
      "Liz's" Plate is: T-AH6

Comment

• TRick6
        TRick6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for following my adventure and stopping by the other day. Can't lie to you. You know where I live.

Notice the black (not chrome) bezel of the tail lights. I rather like this even more so on the flat black rear deck panel. I hope I can get accustom to this paint job and forget about the rat rod look.
      Best Therapy
      Zoom Zoom

Comment

• TRick6
        TRick6 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have other chrome bezel rear lights and will decide which I will use later after I upgrade the rear lights to LED.

• skootch13
        skootch13 commented
        Editing a comment
        i will jump in with an unsolicited comment about the bezels. I think that the matte finish doesn't match the high gloss paint. Not the fact they are black. Maybe rattle can them high gloss black and then make the decision to go chrome?

• TRick6
        TRick6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Skootch. All constructive. To be honest, I was not prepared for the level of gloss on the paint. As you all know, it ain't the paint, it's the prep. Well the prep is totally outstanding. This guy took it down to the metal, filled all the skin surface imperfections and came back with primer that you work and then painted. I didn't debrief him yet as to the number of coats of paint nor clear. About the rear light bezels, The chrome ones purchased years ago are not new but are in great shape. When I get it home I will change out one so that I can compare. Which ever I go with i will be going with a LED kit.

I have decided to go with the chrome bezel tail lights. It looks proper, and the other chrome pieces are in great shape. It all comes together.
      Best Therapy
      Zoom Zoom

Comment

Looks great Al and worth the wait. Perfect timing for some fall driving!

I’m curious too about the number of coats of paint and clear it takes to get to this.
        1972. J Type Overdrive
        Fan Eliminator. PB Carbs
        RG Hubs. Poly Bushings
        RG Trailing Arm Brackets. Fidanza 9Ib Flywheel
        Addco Rear Sway Bar. Gear Reduction Starter

Comment

Originally posted by TRick6 View Post
          I have decided to go with the chrome bezel tail lights. It looks proper, and the other chrome pieces are in great shape. It all comes together.
          I disassembled both pairs of lights, taking the best of the components, ie, lenses, reflector housings, screws, (you'd be surprised at what the past owners did in there), cleaned up everything and made one great pair of tail lights with chrome bezels. Not sure what to do with the painted black bezel housings and overs. Think I will keep it being that the housings are no longer available.
          Best Therapy
          Zoom Zoom

Comment

Originally posted by Soup View Post
            Looks great Al and worth the wait. Perfect timing for some fall driving!

I’m curious too about the number of coats of paint and clear it takes to get to this.
            Well I am not too sure of this answer but the painter when asked how many coats of color and clear used, he said "it's not the number of coats, it's how you paint." I had never heard this before and always heard multi numbers of base and clear being used to accomplish finishes. But i am not a body or paint person.
            Best Therapy
            Zoom Zoom

Comment

• Soup
              Soup commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Al. Interesting answer from the painter. I was assuming three and three. That seems to be a number that works well and since my project is still in the works (I’m learning a lot especially how much work body and paint is) I was wondering what it took to get the look you have.

• TRick6
              TRick6 commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't wish to disappoint but that is the answer I got. I have some prep photos to share which will show the removal of all the paint. The original color was saffron, an ocher yellow. The respray red and original saffron paint was removed to the bare metal, primer and all. Then the workable primer was applied and blocked sanded. Then the finishes, color and clear. I have photos sent me by phone which i have to convert to files to download here.

The Painter Called

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 40,123   Posts: 495,264   Members: 56,950   Active Members: 150
          Welcome to our newest member, Mac M.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
          X