The Painter Called

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Painter Called

Yep, the painter called. He said to put the old wheels and tires on it and bring it tomorrow. Boy this day is finally here and i feel a bit apprehensive. I am sure that nothing bad will happen. I think the better word is anxious. I think this is because this work is totally out of my lane and i have no control. Yikes! I said it. No control. He in very few words said do not stop by without calling. It is not that he does not want me stopping by, it is he does not like clients just stopping by. i told him I would call but wanted to take progress pictures. He gets it. So wish me luck..........
    Last edited by TRick6; 09-21-2021, 07:19 PM.
    Best Therapy
    http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/AlbertGary.htm
    Zoom Zoom

Good luck! What color are you going with?
    Bill Connell
    1969 TR6 CC28790
    TR6 project log
    St. Paul MN

Comment

Good luck Al. I know it will turn out great!
      1973 TR6 – BRG with beige interior, custom LED lighting
      Hardtop, OD, Rollbar, 15”Koenigs
      Bored, balanced and polished motor with PI cam, hi-comp head, triple DCOE's
      Header, custom exhaust, custom alternator, e-fan
      Lowered, poly suspension, Konis and rear anti roll-bar
      www.coventrysfinest.blogspot.com

Comment

Anticipation.....!!

My son and I have mine disassembled and are getting ready to get it in primer. With any luck we will have color on it by the end of October. At least that is the plan!
        CF28612UO - Pimento/Chestnut/Overdrive/Hardtop
        Folsom, CA - Yeah, near the prison!

Comment

Originally posted by frostr6 View Post
          Good luck! What color are you going with?
          I am keeping it the same (off) damson color. Then I just have to do the main surfaces. The jambs and all those other nooks can remain. I am also wrestling with the matte black on the windscreen frame and rear deck. I kinda like them presently damson which is not correct. Thinking of seriously going mate black just for the conventional.

The painter is doing this in his home garage, which is decked out. I have seen his work and he loves my car and wants to do it. There is a difference in getting a painter to paint your car and then finding a painter who loves your car and wants to paint it. He is going to strip it and then prime and hand block the primer. I won't be able to lean on it any more.
          Last edited by TRick6; 09-22-2021, 10:42 AM.
          Best Therapy
          Zoom Zoom

Comment

Al...I can certainly relate!

Mine's been in the body and paint shop for the last 4 months. It's now almost completely in primer. They are currently on the last area, the engine bay with all its nooks and crannies. I should get it back within next 3-4 weeks.

My shop welcomes visits... I go in every week to document progress.
            Keith, Huntsville AL, 1971 TR6
            10.0:1 CR gasflowed head | Weber DCOEs | CP "150hp" Cam | Good Parts Ram-Air induction | Distibutor by Advanced | Lightened flywheel | Phoenix SS Exhaust System | HVDA 5-Speed | Good Parts R200B Diff and CV axles | Good Parts suspension and anti-roll bars | Willwood Calipers and Vented Rotors | Good Parts Dual Brake Master Cylinder | Konig Rewinds | Boyd 15 gal tank | Miata Seats and Mr Mikes covers | Carl Visser dash | Mohair hood | Gas-strut bonnet and boot lift kits

Comment

Wow! Exiting times. Can't wait to see th pics. (All of you )
              CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
              2nd owner, since 1975
              Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

Al.... did you strip anything off the car before bringing it to him? Top, bumpers, headlight trim, windshield etc? Engine bay staying the same? Will he pull the 4 fenders and paint them off the car?

I've got $$$ set aside to do mine but I just can't pull the plug....
                1975 Mimosa with a few upgrades/mods:
                Patton TBI
                HVDA Toyota 5 speed
                Goodparts Nissan Diff
                Goodparts CVJs
                AAW Wire Harness
                Miata Seats
                Boyd Welding Custom 15 gallon aluminum gas tank

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyD75TR6 View Post
                  Bob, I think I figured out your problem. Its the trigger you want to pull, not the plug
                  73 TR6
                  Dundee, IL
                  My TR6

Comment

Originally posted by phil73 View Post

Bob, I think I figured out your problem. Its the trigger you want to pull, not the plug
                    LMAO... I thought it looked strange when I wrote it.... :-)
                    1975 Mimosa with a few upgrades/mods:
                    Patton TBI
                    HVDA Toyota 5 speed
                    Goodparts Nissan Diff
                    Goodparts CVJs
                    AAW Wire Harness
                    Miata Seats
                    Boyd Welding Custom 15 gallon aluminum gas tank

Comment

Al.... did you strip anything off the car before bringing it to him? Top, bumpers, headlight trim, windshield etc? Engine bay staying the same? Will he pull the 4 fenders and paint them off the car?

Nope I have not removed a thing and was told not to; he said that would be his job. I am to just remove the Panasports and put on the stock wheels/tires. I will help him remove the soft top when I deliver it. The windshield is cracked so I will talk to him about removing/replacing it. I did not speak to him about the engine bay but to paint it would require removing the engine so I am thinking not. I do believe that the bonnet, doors and wings will be removed.

I rather like the car being a rat rod because I don't have to be fuzzy with the paint. I can lean on it and not mind others doing the same. More later.
                      Last edited by TRick6; 09-23-2021, 07:59 AM.
                      Best Therapy
                      Zoom Zoom

Comment

Cool Al! Hope the process goes smoothly for you and it’s not too stressful

Cheers,
                        Tush
                        81 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 81 Triumph TR8, 1973 Ford Capri
                        73 Triumph TR6 CF4874UO, 68 Triumph TR250 CD5228LO
                        62 Triumph TR4 CT6716LO, 60 Triumph TR3A TS69891LO
                        60 Triumph TR3A TS64870LO, 59 Triumph TR3A TS44836LO
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/cheftush

Comment

Al.... did you strip anything off the car before bringing it to him? Top, bumpers, headlight trim, windshield etc? them off the car?
                          Whwn I did mine years ago, I took everything off the external surface of the car to save $$ and get a better result, but I used MAACO, who I have to say, did a really good job.
                          2nd owner, since 1975
                          Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

• skootch13
                            skootch13 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I know of two cars locally with MAACO paint jobs. One is well above average in appearance, the other is excellent. I do not understand how some of them look so good. (caveat, I did not go over them with a fine tooth comb. But with a glance from 2 feet, they are really nice to look at.)

One big advantage or disadvantage of MAACO is that they are a "production" paint shop and you're vehicle will surely be painted within your lifetime.
                          My wife's ex and my stepson, both managed/worked at a bay area MAACO shop. (not the one that painted the TR) and I learned from them that the 2 secrets of cost effective resprays are: prep and having a paint man who knows what he's doing and takes pride in his craft.
                          Last edited by baws; 09-23-2021, 07:43 PM.
                          2nd owner, since 1975
                          Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

• TRick6
                            TRick6 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I have heard this of MAACO. Some years ago I have saw one TR6 done at MAACO and was pleasantly pleased. the person that is doing mine is a shop painter and a very proud one. His home shop is impressive. I have also seen his work and i can't really go wrong.

Originally posted by Tush View Post
                          Cool Al! Hope the process goes smoothly for you and it’s not too stressful

Cheers,
                          Tush
                          Thanks Tush. I hope to bring it over to you in the near future for your inspection. I love your Toronto show. It is the best car show I have ever attended. I would also love to see your recent project(s). Stay well..
                          Best Therapy
                          Zoom Zoom

Comment

The Painter Called

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,799   Posts: 492,701   Members: 56,731   Active Members: 4,622
                          Welcome to our newest member, Jarrodjeard.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X