The Green Hornet has landed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Green Hornet has landed...

My FIL an original owner passed away a few years ago, and his car, a 73 Emerald Green has been at my in-laws waiting for my son to get to a point that he could take ownership and custody.

Well that finally happened this weekend. We had AAA flatbed it a few miles North to where we live to place it finally into the garage where space was made.

Son got excited and a bit emotional over now being the custodian of his Papa's car.

I fired it up a few times over the past couple of years, so it would remain some level of a runner, although it sat over COVID.

We checked some key fluids, engine movement and fired it. (after changing out the points/condenser that I fried - More on that later)

Some tweaks to be made but it ran. We siphoned some gas from Mr. T for the boy to take his first run in it over to the gas station.

Some leaks, but it's a runner.

Fuel pump leaked from the dome (tightened), and the PDWA is leaking (seals ordered), and I blew my first points ignition (condenser) by leaving the key on. It happened to be ON when we unlocked the steering wheel to guide the car in, and I must have fried it when I was checking the coil connections (and noticed a spark), which made me go check the ign.

Hadn't;t changed points in a while and that was good practice.

Its idling a bit high, so need to figure out what's going on there...

The Green Hornet has landed!

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-07-18 13.31.23 (Medium).jpg Views:	0 Size:	445.1 KB ID:	542941

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-07-18 13.51.50 (Medium).jpg
Views:	110
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	542945

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-07-18 15.50.46 (Medium).jpg Views:	0 Size:	361.3 KB ID:	542943
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-07-18 15.57.09 (Medium).jpg Views:	0 Size:	385.0 KB ID:	542944

Last edited by tr6harris; 07-20-2021, 12:01 AM.
    '74 TR6 CF13007U aka "Mr. T"
    Custom Blue (Delft-Like) and New Tan (Formerly Mallard and New Tan)
    Points, Ballast Bypassed, Bosch Blue Coil, Moss Cobalt Wires, Champion RN12YC plugs.
    Peaks and tweaks, but the spirit of Original
    Redlines always.
    My wife is the Driver, I'm just the Mechanic....

What a great dad you are, Ken! That's a gorgeous pair.

Ed
    For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

What an awesome adventure you have up coming with your son! My first $500 beater at 16 was a beat up 1970 Spitfire Mkiii. Fun times but I did not have a mentor so had to learn on my own etc. and mistakes etc. Cheers to many weekend warrior sessions in the garage!
      MRankin
      71 TR6 CC61212L

Comment

I bet he ("Van" I believe?) is excited and proud and rightfully so.
        Happy Motoring !
        Driving a 1973 TR6
        Doing ZS carb repairs
        email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

Congratulations to you both keeping it in the family. Now to pass along the how to keep it running part for many years to come.
          72 Pimento w/overdrive - Lilred
          67 4A Royal Blue - Lilblue

Comment

Very Nice and I love that emerald green. The car has a very nice stance.

Cheers
            Tush
            81 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 81 Triumph TR8, 1973 Ford Capri
            73 Triumph TR6 CF4874UO, 68 Triumph TR250 CD5228LO
            62 Triumph TR4 CT6716LO, 60 Triumph TR3A TS69891LO
            60 Triumph TR3A TS64870LO, 59 Triumph TR3A TS44836LO
            https://www.youtube.com/user/cheftush

Comment

What a wonderful story and chapter for your family. Congrats and many many happy miles together.

Is your son the second owner?
              1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1973 Harvest Yellow MGB V8

Comment

Awesome,keeping the hobby going for the next gen.

Comment

Nice car! Especially the color.

Having recently dropped off my son at the Air Force Academy for BCT (basic cadet training) I can tell you that he getting a TR6 to drive when he was 16 was absolutely one of the best things for him and his development. The lessons he learned (self reliance, working thru frustration, how to troubleshoot without jumping to conclusions, and many others I am sure), basis his letters to us, has served him well. My hope is that your son is open to all of the "gifts" that an old British car can teach a young (or old) driver!

Comment

Awesome! My son got the roadster bug, but instead of a vintage version, he drives a 2020 Miata. Its fun going to Cars and Coffee with him!
                    CF28612UO - Pimento/Chestnut/Overdrive/Hardtop
                    Folsom, CA - Yeah, near the prison!

Comment

Thanks guys. Yes, Van is the 2nd owner after his grandfather "Papa", the original owner.

Dad "Papa" started it all with his car Green Hornet, my wife's car, Mr. T, and now the legacy continues.

The Green Hornet was Dads daily driver when he was working 9-5 at Hughes Aircraft in LA/Redondo Beach, prior to retirement.

Lucky that Van not only grew up with the cars, but loves cars in general.

The puttering around in the garage has begun, with him crawling around it most of the afternoon today, seats removed to better vacuum, etc.

Discovered another flakey condenser today, after swapping in another one and the boy mentioning missing and sputtering around 2500 RPM. Swapped back in an older one and all is well again. Still idling high. No vacuum leaks, but idles the same whether the retard is connected or not. May be time for a dizzy service, (as well as a seeping heater valve we just noticed.)

Lots of things to still go patiently through, but nothing major.

Pretty cool to see his smiles after a few test flights around the area.

He shoots lots of car photos, and I think his Miata and other car geek buddies have heard all about and will finally see his car that he has been talking about.
                      '74 TR6 CF13007U aka "Mr. T"
                      Custom Blue (Delft-Like) and New Tan (Formerly Mallard and New Tan)
                      Points, Ballast Bypassed, Bosch Blue Coil, Moss Cobalt Wires, Champion RN12YC plugs.
                      Peaks and tweaks, but the spirit of Original
                      Redlines always.
                      My wife is the Driver, I'm just the Mechanic....

Comment

Sweet! They look a bit like bookends in the garage.
                        CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
                        2nd owner, since 1975
                        Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

Does Van have instagram and can we see his pics?
                          1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1973 Harvest Yellow MGB V8

Comment

• tr6harris
                            tr6harris commented
                            Editing a comment
                            vanz_photos

Awesome, Ken! Great looking car and may he always drive it in good health!
                          Cheers,

Kevin
                          76 TR6 CF58170UO (The Lady)
                          72 TR6 CC80068UO (The Slut)
                          68 TR250 CD4893L (The Mistress)

Comment

Van
                            Congratulations young Brotha I can feel the thrill, your 1st car (TR6) you being the 2nd owner inherited from your Grandpa the original owner. 3 Generations TR6 Family Affair you have something most don't growing up experiencing lots of TRIUMPH Moments now it's your turn as you are officially part of the TR6 "In Crowd" a select few individuals in the world fortunate enough to be owned by a TR6.

Beginning of an ongoing love affair with a automobile (love it when they running, hate it when they not) take your time enjoy the experience 1st few years may be a challenge but over time you will make it to suit you and your TR6 will return all the time/effort/energy you invest in it for as we know looks/feel/sound there is absolutely nothing like a TR6. Be Safe & Aware drive it like it has a bullseye target on the sides/front/back.Enjoy the pride feel & power of saying "My TR6"
                            Julius

Comment

• tr6harris
                              tr6harris commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Van says Thank You. it means a lot

The Green Hornet has landed...

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,577   Posts: 490,758   Members: 29,611   Active Members: 7,485
                          Welcome to our newest member, Sharonexefe.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X