• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• poolboy
    commented on 's reply
    Good to hear from you again, Scott.

• scmcgo
    replied
    Truly amazing, Jim. A wonderful story for all British car enthusiasts.

Leave a comment:

• JCDonahue
    replied
    Very cool!! And impressive to have the same vehicle (TR6 or Motorcycle) for so long!!

Leave a comment:

• poolboy
    replied
    How's it go ?
    "40 is the old age of youth; 50 is the youth of old age"..something like that.
    Anyway, congratulations to all !

Leave a comment:

• baws
    replied
    The roll slows down to a crawl when I am at work however.

Leave a comment:

• SapphireBlue72
    replied
    That's a pretty good analogy about the roll of TP.

Leave a comment:

• RatRidgeRoadster
    replied
    ​Thanks for the replies, guys, and a happy 50+ to you Simon. Just so you know, Simon, after 50, the years start coming faster and faster. Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes.

To continue with my story just a bit, on the 12th of February I set off to deliver the car to the Port of Harwich followed by a friend in my Squadron with a 69 TR6 to take me back. It was raining hard with what must have been gale force winds as we were traveling down a narrow road that seemed to be going nowhere. I flagged down a bloke on a bicycle wearing a yellow raincoat traveling in the opposite direction to inquire as to the whereabouts of the navyard docks. Standing by his bicycle at the passenger window, he tells me he just finished his shift at the docks and confirms that the docks are straight ahead down the road a tad. As he continued to give directions to the office, the wind caught his bicycle ripping it out of his hands and slammed the handlebar into the door.

Well, that would not be the only dent in my brand new car's early life. When I picked it up in Bayonne I discovered someone managed to put a small dent in the nose of the bonnet. They reimbursed me for the bonnet dent and for the gearshift knob that someone stole, but it was weeks or maybe months later that I discovered they also stole the passenger fresh air vent under the dash.

Leave a comment:

• tadmcd
    replied
    Ditto, Simon.

(Kevin: how'd you miss a birthday, bro?)

Leave a comment:

• Wolf76STL
    replied
    Originally posted by Chandlerazman View Post
    Great story Jim and fitting to read as my first post since the new forum. Incidentally, I just turned the big 5-0 a couple of weeks ago. Been a busy last 20 years so it flies by quick since we left NY. Very few people can say they owned their cars that long. Congratulations and Happy Anniversary!
    Happy (belated) 50th Simon! Live long and prosper....
    Cheers,
    Kevin

Leave a comment:

• Chandlerazman
    replied
    Great story Jim and fitting to read as my first post since the new forum. Incidentally, I just turned the big 5-0 a couple of weeks ago. Been a busy last 20 years so it flies by quick since we left NY. Very few people can say they owned their cars that long. Congratulations and Happy Anniversary!

Leave a comment:

• lfmTR4
    replied
    Great story Jim, happy anniversary to you both.

Leave a comment:

• Elwood
    replied
    Happy Anniversary, Jim. It's always fun to run into other original owners such as yourself and/or Art Graves. My anniversary is September 20th, took delivery from Continental Motors in Countryside, IL in 1974. I never expected to still have the car almost 46 years later, but I'm sure glad that I do.

Leave a comment:

• skootch13
    replied
    Thanks for posting those great tales.

Leave a comment:

• baws
    replied
    Congrats Jim, on your anniversary! The only other person to own my 73, was also in service and bought her whilst overseas.

Leave a comment:

• bartman
    replied
    Very nicely done. Thanks for posting.

Leave a comment:

The Big Five-Oh

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,705   Posts: 481,520   Members: 8,375   Active Members: 228
Welcome to our newest member, oozuraro.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

Working...
X