Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How have you made plans for your cars when you're gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How have you made plans for your cars when you're gone?

Now I'm not planning on checking out anytime soon, but i thought I would get some ideas about seeing to it the TR and Jag go to my wife and family, not the government.
    Both are in my name only at the present.
    CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
    2nd owner, since 1975
    Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Even though California is a "community property state" you may want to draw up a 'will'...Cormae and I both have wills.
    https://homeguides.sfgate.com/commun...rnia-6860.html
    Driving a 1973 TR6
    Doing ZS carb repairs
    email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

only one of my issue has expressed any interest in PD (interest in driving, not turning a wrench...at least not so far). but, he has an interest in cars in general (he's currently turning an old jeep cherokee into a mudder/rocker). so, i plan to leave PD to him with a note about talking to you guys for help//guidance and if he's interested in selling.

it's a good question at my age...for PD and all sorts of stuff.
      "PD" - 1973 Mallard TR6

Comment

Well, I’m hoping that I’ll get to a point in my life where I can decide that it’s time to let my cars go and not be too emotional about it...If I don’t make it to that point, god help my sister in getting rid of everything I’ve accumulated as she’s the executor of my estate

Cheers
        Tush
        81 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 81 Triumph TR8
        73 Triumph TR6 CF4874UO, 68 Triumph TR250 CD5228LO
        62 Triumph TR4 CT6716LO, 60 Triumph TR3A TS69891LO
        60 Triumph TR3A TS64870LO, 59 Triumph TR3A TS44836LO
        https://www.youtube.com/user/cheftush

Comment

• Derekmcallister
          Derekmcallister commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm a little older than you, but tell your sister that I would be happy to take care of the white TR3 if you happen to go before I do, Tush

My son gets Lilred, he helped rebuild it when he was 15-16. Part of the reasons for doing that was to teach him about cars, spend time together, develop problem solving skills and so he can take care of it when he does get it. And yes, it’s in the will along with the tools. You should have a will otherwise a probate judge gets to decide and lawyers get richer.
        I72 Pimento w/overdrive

Comment

I've given this some thought as well. My nephew inherited a 1954 Rolls Royce and he has to keep it at his parent's house, about 4 hours away because he doesn't have a garage to keep it in. He also has feelings of guilt anytime he thinks about selling it, because his great uncle wanted him to have it. So he has a car he can't really enjoy, but feels like he can't do anything with. Hate to think that my car(s) will become a burden to someone ...
          1970 BRG TR6 - Carbs by Poolboy!
          1968 BRG TR250

Comment

Uncle BAWS, your nephew Ken can care for the Jag!

BTW - You can go to DMV and get her added to the title as an "Or" owner. Some paperwork and fee, I'm sure. Can probably find the forms online.
            '74 TR6 CF13007U aka "Mr. T"
            Custom Blue (Delft-Like) and New Tan (Formerly Mallard and New Tan)
            Points, Ballast Bypassed, Bosch Blue Coil, Moss Cobalt Wires, Champion RN12YC plugs.
            Peaks and tweaks, but the spirit of Original
            Redlines always.
            My wife is the Driver, I'm just the Mechanic....

Comment

I’m thinking about donating mine to a local community college that has a program for vintage car restoration. They are Porsche-centric at the moment, as their leader wrote the book on four cam 356s, but I’m sure they would appreciate a nice TR6. https://madisonauto.org/services/com...o-restoration/
              SR
              73 TR6. HT/AC/OD
              86 930
              91 535i

Comment

Originally posted by lfmTR4 View Post
                You should have a will otherwise a probate judge gets to decide and lawyers get richer.

That's what happened when my Dad passed without a will.
                It took about a year to settle the estate and a big chunk to the attorney.

Anyone can write their own will, as their desires for inheritance of their property, and then have two people sign the paper as witnesses, and it is legal and binding.
                At least that's what is written in The Complete Idiot's Guide To Wills and Estates, by Steve Maple, an attorney with a long career in the field of wills and estates.
                Last edited by SapphireBlue72; 01-29-2020, 09:31 AM.
                Walt
                CC80954U '72 TR6 original condition/sold 16.500.
                poolboy rebuilt the Z-S Carbs. Philstr6 rebuilt both rear hubs.

Comment

In Ontario, Canada, we can hand write a "Holographic Will" that is legal without the requirement for witnesses as long as the will is signed and dated in our own handwriting.

Cheers
                  Tush
                  81 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 81 Triumph TR8
                  73 Triumph TR6 CF4874UO, 68 Triumph TR250 CD5228LO
                  62 Triumph TR4 CT6716LO, 60 Triumph TR3A TS69891LO
                  60 Triumph TR3A TS64870LO, 59 Triumph TR3A TS44836LO
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/cheftush

Comment

And put the will in a safe place....letting the primary heir or executor if you named one know it's whereabouts AND the means to access it.
                    I have known where a sibling has found and destroyed a parents will because of greed or jealousy....it happens.
                    Driving a 1973 TR6
                    Doing ZS carb repairs
                    email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

We have a will so that's not a problem. Its more a problem of who actually gets the car.

My daughter would legally get the car, that's obvious. However, whether she and her husband would be in a position to maintain it is a completely different question.

My bet is that at some point I won't be able to drive it anymore and then we can have a conversation about what to do with the car. Its been in the family since...before there was a family so...
                      73 TR6
                      Libertyville, IL
                      My TR6

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I really appreciate it. Like Phil says above, the 6 has been with me forever. If it could cook, I would have married it..
                        Now in the final stages of building a proper "hanger" for her (see new garage thread), we've both come a long way from parking in an apartment car port, to this day.
                        Seems like only yesterday when I brought her home from the dealership. Been a short 45 years.
                        CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
                        2nd owner, since 1975
                        Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

Originally posted by baws View Post
                          Now I'm not planning on checking out anytime soon, but i thought I would get some ideas about seeing to it the TR and Jag go to my wife and family, not the government.
                          Both are in my name only at the present.
                          The way my will is set up (if my wife goes first) is that the TR will be '"up for bid" to the kids/heirs. If one wants it more than the others, this amount bid will be deducted from his (presumably "he") share of the money. Right now I don't see any hands raised, or maybe they'll think I'm taking it with me!

Dick

Comment

Was thinking I'd get buried in mine. But can't decide - top up or down?
                            Keith, Huntsville AL, 1971 CC66559U
                            10.0:1 CR gasflowed head | Weber DCOEs | CP "150hp" Cam | Distibutor by Advanced | Lightened flywheel | Phoenix SS Exhaust System | HVDA 5-Speed | Good Parts suspension and anti-roll bars | Goodparts Dual Master Cylinder | Konig Rewinds | Boyd 15 gal tank | Miata Seats and Mr Mikes covers | Carl Visser dash | Mohair hood | Gas-strut bonnet and boot lift kits

Comment

How have you made plans for your cars when you're gone?

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,705   Posts: 481,520   Members: 8,375   Active Members: 228
                            Welcome to our newest member, oozuraro.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

Working...
                            X