Somebody bought a TR6 in Alabama, drove it to Maryland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somebody bought a TR6 in Alabama, drove it to Maryland

Just saw this on BAT, a tiny tidbit TR6 snack.

https://bringatrailer.com/2020/01/25...er-hurt-a-tr6/
    Walt
    CC80954U '72 TR6 original condition/sold 16.500.
    poolboy rebuilt the Z-S Carbs. Philstr6 rebuilt both rear hubs.

Good story and a nice looking car. Hope the new owner is here with us!

Cheers
    Tush
    81 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 81 Triumph TR8
    73 Triumph TR6 CF4874UO, 68 Triumph TR250 CD5228LO
    62 Triumph TR4 CT6716LO, 60 Triumph TR3A TS69891LO
    60 Triumph TR3A TS64870LO, 59 Triumph TR3A TS44836LO
    https://www.youtube.com/user/cheftush

Comment

Thanks for posting, Walt!

Turns out I know this car very well, as its former owner, a really nice guy, lives about 10 miles away. He and I have helped each other out with various jobs on our cars quite regularly over the 4-5 years during our restorations, and have become good friends.

Sadly, the car became "a millstone around his neck" - He had owned a couple of AH3000's in his youth in CA, and he purchased this '76 as a project for his retirement, having never lost the LBC bug. However, the restoration proved to be a long and exhausting process for him, as the car was in much rougher shape than he knew - It needed a ton of welding to the frame and extensive bodywork and panel replacement, which he had not really expected. But he persevered, and got it to about 95% done. Despite the car being really close to completion, he fell out of love with the project, and decided to part with it. I believe he had around $35K in it, so the new owner definitely got a steal.

I'm really glad that the new owner is enjoying the car, and hopefully he will be able to complete the remaining punch-list items, to make what is really a very distinctive looking and pleasant-driving car.

The colour is really stunning - nearly black in dull conditions, but changes to a beautiful metallic green in the sunshine:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-04-21 09.13.39.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	528646
      Keith, Huntsville AL, 1971 CC66559U
      10.0:1 CR gasflowed head | Weber DCOEs | CP "150hp" Cam | Distibutor by Advanced | Lightened flywheel | Phoenix SS Exhaust System | HVDA 5-Speed | Good Parts suspension and anti-roll bars | Goodparts Dual Master Cylinder | Konig Rewinds | Boyd 15 gal tank | Miata Seats and Mr Mikes covers | Carl Visser dash | Mohair hood | Gas-strut bonnet and boot lift kits

Comment

Thanks for your update, Keith. Your story adds a lot to the vague report from BaT.
        Yes, frame and body repairs can be heartbreaking. It is so crucial to evaluate a TR6 carefully before purchasing.

An interested buyer can make a poor decision to purchase when looking at the attractive style,
        but neglecting to check the frame TA area, rockers, rear wings, headlight area, rear valance, battery tray, floor panels.

I see it happen on almost every TR6 that BaT sellers offer. You try to give people a heads-up, but they are smitten by the Siren appearance.
        Walt
        CC80954U '72 TR6 original condition/sold 16.500.
        poolboy rebuilt the Z-S Carbs. Philstr6 rebuilt both rear hubs.

Comment

Hi Keith, anybody I know? The car doesn't look familiar but if it was under restoration I probably wouldn't have seen it
          I72 Pimento w/overdrive

Comment

• A Brit in Bama
            A Brit in Bama commented
            Editing a comment
            Lou, owner was Randy Rathmann. I think you and he may have exchanged emails.

I invited him to NABMS meets, but don't think he ever went. Most of bodywork and re-assembly was done in a shop in Gadsden. The real shame is he didn't engage more on the Forums, as he could have avoided some miss-steps, but he's not much of an "internet guy". And due to the shop's lack of familiarity with TR's, they ended up wasting time/money fabricating panels/parts that are readily available, as well as buying lots of generic stuff from FLAPS and then needed to re-purchase from the big three to get them to work. He also needed to get it re-painted once at significant expense, as the metallic finish was messed up first time around.

But the end result was quite nice. I just hate he went thru all this, only to sell when he was soooo close....

Yeah that name sounds familiar but never did meet him. Shame, he had to spend that kind of money and then decided to give it up.
          I72 Pimento w/overdrive

Comment

Somebody bought a TR6 in Alabama, drove it to Maryland

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,705   Posts: 481,520   Members: 8,375   Active Members: 228
          Welcome to our newest member, oozuraro.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

Working...
          X