oil pressure line on TR6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil pressure line on TR6

Need some help. I decided to put in a new fuel pump and somehow I broke the original plastic oil pressure line. I have a new stainless line from Ted Schumacher. My question is, how in the world do you get the oil gauge out of the dash so the line can be attached to the gauge? I can't get my hand in thru the ash tray.

Pull out the tachometer and it gives access. You will need to access through the ash tray hole as well.

Don't forget to seal the connections with yellow teflon sealing tape.
    1973 TR6 – BRG with beige interior, custom LED lighting
    Hardtop, OD, Rollbar, 15”Koenigs
    Bored, balanced and polished motor with Kastner/TSI S2 Cam
    Header, custom exhaust, custom alternator, e-fan
    Lowered, poly suspension, Konis and rear anti roll-bar
    www.coventrysfinest.blogspot.com

Comment

+1 on the Teflon tape. Ask me how I know

Comment

I guess I'm a coward at heart - I dropped the dash to put in the stainless line.

Did anyone else notice that the gauge reads a bit higher with the SS line - I'm assuming that happened because the old plastic line was flexible and could expand when pressurized.
        1976 TR-6 BRG - CF57239U
        Carbs by Poolboy
        Rear Camber Kit, Rear Hubs by Goodparts
        Gear Reduction Starter by TSI
        Distributor by British Vacuum

Comment

Thanks for the help. Can you access the tach from under the dash? Also, ted's instructions said to use Teflon tape but it didn't specify a particular type so I used the white tape. Will that not hold up to the oil?

Comment

The tach can be removed by reaching up under and unscrewing the knurled nuts.... BUT..... I couldn't get the line on the OP gauge without removing it from the dash.... and I've got small hands!
            1975 Mimosa with a few upgrades/mods:
            Patton TBI
            HVDA Toyota 5 speed
            Goodparts Nissan Diff
            Goodparts CVJs
            AAW Wire Harness
            Miata Seats
            Boyd Welding Custom 15 gallon aluminum gas tank

Comment

Need some help. ...I can't get my hand in thru the ash tray.
              Hi Ken,

Is there a neighbor or friend, maybe teenagers around with thinner fingers who can help thread the line on the oil gauge? Once the stainless oil line is seated you can cinch it tight with a pair of needle-nose pliers thru the ash tray dash access.

Would save you a lot of time tearing into the dash otherwise just to get the new line on the initial thread ridge started. After that it spins on easy.

Remember the leather washer.

Cheers!

Comment

Need some help. ...I can't get my hand in thru the ash tray.
                Hi Ken,

Is there a neighbor or friend, maybe teenagers around with thinner fingers who can help thread the line on the oil gauge? Once the stainless oil line is seated you can cinch it tight with a pair of needle-nose pliers thru the ash tray dash access.

Would save you a lot of time tearing into the dash otherwise just to get the new line on the initial thread ridge started. After that it spins on easy.

Remember the leather washer.

Cheers!
                The stainless steel oil line doesn't need the leather washer like the original style nylon fitting does. Not sure about the need for using teflon tape either. I know I didn't use any on the gauge end. No leakie.

By going up from the bottom of the dash, I was able to disconnect the two gauge bracket nuts and pull the gauge out the front far enough to connect the new SS line. The last step was to connect the other end of the line to the block. Not a fun job, and shouldn't have to do it again in my lifetime.
                On the first go-around I tried to connect the oil line to the gauge while it was behind the dash, and cross threaded it. Ratz. West Valley Instruments to the rescue! This time I reconnected the line outside of the dash to be sure of getting it started and tightened properly. Reconnecting the bracket nuts was a lesson in patience as well. I recall having Sally get them started from the ashtray opening.

Dick

Comment

Does Ted now supply shrink wrap tubing to cover the braided line? That braid can be pretty abrasive and it's tucked in among all the under dash wires. I bought some shrink tubing from McMaster and covered the line.
                  1975 Mimosa with a few upgrades/mods:
                  Patton TBI
                  HVDA Toyota 5 speed
                  Goodparts Nissan Diff
                  Goodparts CVJs
                  AAW Wire Harness
                  Miata Seats
                  Boyd Welding Custom 15 gallon aluminum gas tank

Comment

I talked to Ted when I installed mine. He definitely suggests installing with yellow teflon tape. Yellow tape is rated for petroleum products, White is not.
                    1973 TR6 – BRG with beige interior, custom LED lighting
                    Hardtop, OD, Rollbar, 15”Koenigs
                    Bored, balanced and polished motor with Kastner/TSI S2 Cam
                    Header, custom exhaust, custom alternator, e-fan
                    Lowered, poly suspension, Konis and rear anti roll-bar
                    www.coventrysfinest.blogspot.com

Comment

Does Ted now supply shrink wrap tubing to cover the braided line? That braid can be pretty abrasive and it's tucked in among all the under dash wires. I bought some shrink tubing from McMaster and covered the line.
                      Bob - my ss line from Ted came with tubing and instructors to cover it over a part of its run. I chose to use the whole length over the ss under the dash and to the firewall, because of the risk of electrical shorts.

Frankly I wouldn?t have thought of it so I am happy it was included.
                      1976 TR-6 BRG - CF57239U
                      Carbs by Poolboy
                      Rear Camber Kit, Rear Hubs by Goodparts
                      Gear Reduction Starter by TSI
                      Distributor by British Vacuum

Comment

I can't remember what I had to do to install a braided oil line, but I'm pretty sure that I pulled the oil gauge to ensure that the line was properly attached, rather than hoping that I had got it right by attaching the line in situ.
                        Dave C
                        '72 Sapphire #CC82360UO
                        Chapel Hill NC

Comment

Not to bubble this up for nothing, I'm doing some refurb, and definitely want to replace my OP line. Is TSI still delivering these? I'd rather have braided SS versus what's currently on my car. I see that Moss is also selling a braided SS line, but have heard nothing about it, and wondered if anyone has used their version.

Thoughts?

Comment

I just installed the stainless oil pressure gauge line from TSI a few weeks ago while I was redoing my dashboard. Give him a call, he still sells a few of them every week.
                            Bill Connell
                            1969 TR6 CC28790
                            TR6 project log
                            St. Paul MN

Comment

oil pressure line on TR6

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,728   Posts: 481,809   Members: 8,397   Active Members: 267
                            Welcome to our newest member, ajiupoconiiv.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

Working...
                            X