No announcement yet.

what did you do to your car today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocker assembly installed with valve lash set to 0.014 and 0.016 intake and exhaust respectively as per Newmans specs.:

Click image for larger version

Name:	B94306A0-E301-4973-9492-7B6C402DC1D7.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	678.2 KB
ID:	549023

Rocker cover installed:

Name:	F05220AD-DCE0-4C9D-94C3-71C8CD149997.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	819.3 KB
ID:	549024

Name:	D48B690B-BA25-48D8-B1F3-F49F364B8749.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	850.9 KB
ID:	549025

Its starting to look like it needs something to motivate!

Comment

• Can you elaborate on "Newman's" specs.? I'm not familiar with those.
      I always thought the intake and exhaust valve lash were the same.
      Special cam?
      CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
      2nd owner, since 1975
      Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

• Yes, it’s a PBNW270 cam which is made by Newman Cams in England. Their spec call for larger valves lash as per the table below which comes from their website:

Name:	F0EE8A0B-5F6C-4C38-9982-6A15F0D1F18D.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	549047

cheers,
        c74

Comment

• Thanks! Interesting, what are the advantages ot the cam and what other engine mod have you done?
          Inquiring minds want to know.
          CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
          2nd owner, since 1975
          Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

• It’s a fast road cam and with the cylinder head decked to about to about 9.2:1 it should be a more responsive car hopefully. Along the way the bores were increased by 0.020 to correct some scoring number six bore and fresh rings should increase the smilage! It was a pretty good running engine when I removed it but I knew that the cam (and likely tappets) had wear/damage along with the problems in cylinder number six warranted a full rebuild. I have had this car for many years now and do enjoy driving it but this was an opportunity to learn about it and get something more than smelly hair and sunburn out of the experience of ownership 😁.
            It’s been fun certainly but not without a lot of apprehension as this is my first engine pull which has gone quite well so far thanks to many resources such as the 6-pack and youtube bit it has had some moments such as most recently when I put the head on and some of the valve springs found their preferred seating positions with some loud sproingy noises which was pretty upsetting until I realized what it was…that on top of the recurring “what have I gotten myself into” sensation that hasn’t gone away and probably won’t until I’ve put several hundred miles on it…

Anyway, over the last couple of days:

Click image for larger version  Name:	4AC52D49-8E78-43DE-ACAF-FA231AE100EE.jpg Views:	21 Size:	644.4 KB ID:	549051

Click image for larger version  Name:	C3C8EE82-0ECD-4786-9B05-B89D83B1F8EE.jpg Views:	22 Size:	690.8 KB ID:	549052

Click image for larger version  Name:	B673D22D-9130-4889-96AA-E692A9860EAE.jpg Views:	23 Size:	831.0 KB ID:	549053

Click image for larger version  Name:	DE9B07F6-E17E-4CD7-87C1-FFD47393B419.jpg Views:	22 Size:	735.7 KB ID:	549054

Attached Files
            Last edited by Charlie(74); 07-18-2022, 08:56 PM.

Comment

• Sunday driving home from a car show got caught in a terrible downpour, lots of cars stopping along the side of the road to wait it out. So nice to have a new(ish) soft top that keeps the rain out. I paused for a few minute but then kept driving because the defogging worked a lot better while moving.
              Bill Connell
              1969 TR6 CC28790
              TR6 project log
              St. Paul MN

Comment

• Greetings all,
                Well it’s been a while since I have posted or completed any progress. Between a family vacation to western Michigan and Door County, WI (both places are awesome!) and my opposite at work who broke his hand I have only been at home for 4 nights out of the last 36 so not much had happened with the car until now.

It was pretty warm and dry here today so I took the opportunity to push the car outside so I could give the engine bay a good scrub with a Dawn and water solution and a medium soft bristled brush. It came up fairly well:

Name:	2A50F53B-DBD4-4237-922F-61D81FC450C9.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	549760

Name:	AC137204-E45B-4336-8E88-842877F73ADE.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	984.2 KB
ID:	549761

I then replaced the throw out bearing and tapered pin:

Name:	7FC64388-CC69-48EC-B689-A80FEE49F17C.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	549762

I got a little carried away with the Coppaslip (sp?) and have since wiped some of it off. Since it was nice and sunny and warm I left it sitting outside for most of the day after having blown it dry with a leaf blower. I thought it came up quite nicely given that the paint is 30+ years old now and once the engine is back in most of the blemishes should fade into the background (hopefully!).

Cheers and best regards all,

c

Comment

• RatRidgeRoadster
                  RatRidgeRoadster commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You might want to have another look at the safety wire on the tapered pin. It could back out a half turn or more before the safety wire does anything to restrain it.

• I had wondered that too actually. I think i might have gone around it in the wrong direction. Well spotted!

Comment

• You might want to take it over to the other arm (tine?) of the fork. As a general rule on aircraft, you use the largest wire that will go in the hole. but that hole is ridiculously big. I'm sure your .032" wire will be fine.

Name:	DSC08093.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	2.69 MB
ID:	549769
                  R3
                  Jim Herter,͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏Copperas Cove, TX
                  Original Owner ֍ 1970 TR6 CC 50990 LO

Comment

• Thanks Jim, I changed it today to how you described it. 👍

regards all,
                    c

Comment

• I checked my fluids and tires, went over my spares and tools checklist, making sure it was all set for the drive to TRials.

Comment

• Got the car back on the road last night after frame repair and a few other projects while I had use of a borrowed Quickjack. After replacing the broken a-arm bracket the alignment measured out pretty much on spec in my garage setup, so should be good enough for now.

I also swapped out the differential with a used unit that's in better shape than mine. I replaced the pinion seal and added a drain plug. Even with a quick trip around the block I can tell it clunks less than my old diff.

A longer test drive today and rechecking torque on the suspension parts, then I'm off to a local hill climb this weekend.
                        Bill Connell
                        1969 TR6 CC28790
                        TR6 project log
                        St. Paul MN

Comment

• Video of one of my faster hill climb runs from this weekend. The car ran perfectly, only issues were a headlight that died on the way down (fixed thanks to my earlier halogen conversion and a local NAPA store), dislodged windshield wiper (my fault, trying to "help" the wipers clear off the mist), and a taillight that went out despite replacing both brake light bulbs with LEDs before the trip.

Anyway, really fun weekend running with 3 TR3s, a race car TR4 and a TR8, among a field of 45 that included a '58 Porsche 356A, '70 Formula Ford, '69 Chevy C10 pickup, '67 Mustang, '85 Olds Cutlass, a couple of 911s, and a Ginelli race car that really belonged at a LeMans course and was very slow through the chicanes but fast enough otherwise to win quickest time of the day.

Some video from my dash-mounted phone:
                          Bill Connell
                          1969 TR6 CC28790
                          TR6 project log
                          St. Paul MN

Comment

what did you do to your car today?

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 40,123   Posts: 495,264   Members: 56,950   Active Members: 150
                          Welcome to our newest member, Mac M.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X