What are you using as a radio for you "6" for modern radio & speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you using as a radio for you "6" for modern radio & speakers

Interior is being completed in my restored "6" and time to start thinking about a radio and speaker set up. I know many don't like radios and would rather hear the prrrrr of the engine, but I have to have my tunes. I see two types that I'm looking at that should fit into the "6" One is a retrosound offered by Moss for the "6" and the other is advertised on EBAY by Woody's Custom Shop. The Retrosound has adjustable shafts and their own speakers that can be added and the Woodey's Custom Shop have fixed shafts that they say will fit the "6" and more power per channel that negates a power amplifier. I plan on putting the two speakers in the kidney mounts on the center support and building a box in the back with Walnut veneer to match the new dash to house the rear speakers and subwoofer. I don't wan to cut and mount rear speakers in the rear leather panel that I bought from John Skinner. I was thinking about Alpine speakers. what do you all think for good sound?

Mike

Mike,

Sharing a write up from TTE as I have been researching myself. You also might want to consider contacting Crutchfield. They are extremely helpful and will be able to offer you options you probably haven’t thought of. Years ago, I built a speaker box and had a couple of 6 x 9’s with an amp (comes in handy for top down driving).

https://www.triumphexp.com/forum/tr6...akers.1481084/

Gary Brooks
    Youngsville,NC

‘73 TR6
    ‘68 TR250
    ‘59 TR3A
    ‘80 Spitfire

Comment

Pioneer DIN size receiver mounted in the cubby box.

Infinity 5.25 2-Ways in the kidney pads.

8" passive Bazooka tube subwoofer in the boot for some gentle bottom end fill.
      '74 TR6 CF13007U aka "Mr. T"
      Custom Blue (Delft-Like) and New Tan (Formerly Mallard and New Tan)
      Points, Ballast Bypassed, Bosch Blue Coil, Moss Cobalt Wires, Champion RN12YC plugs.
      Peaks and tweaks, but the spirit of Original
      Redlines always.
      My wife is the Driver, I'm just the Mechanic....

Comment

My phone and a bluetooth speaker.
        Last edited by 46er; 05-13-2022, 07:52 AM.
        Ralph
        TR250 "Eileen"
        MGB "Merck"
        VW GTI

Comment

I put an AM FM CD unit in my TR6 when I redid It about 15 years ago, Added kidney pad speakers and some bookshelf speakers on the parcel shelf that can be unplugged and taken out. I’m doing a 4A now that has a Triumph radio in it so I’m considering converting it to a Bluetooth unit so I can play music on my phone and stream.

Here’s an article from someone who just did that. Many options out there and they are pretty inexpensive.

https://www.triumphexp.com/forum/tr4...-with.1885750/
          72 Pimento w/overdrive - Lilred
          67 4A Royal Blue - Lilblue

Comment

Radio? I have the JBL Flip 5 portable speaker and Bluetooth to my phone/Pandora. I was using head phones with some success but that was for long trips only. This will fill the cabin with sound leaving my ears free to hear other stuff, like the engine.
            Best Therapy
            http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/AlbertGary.htm
            Zoom Zoom

Comment

My 6 has an amp in the trunk and two speakers in boxes on the shelf. And a modern DIN radio in the dash. it rocks.

The MG has a Retrosound in it. Junk. Difficult to use. Can't pull in stations (that may be the antennae.) Difficult to use. Not very loud. Did I mention I find it difficult to use?

Here's why. Retrosound wants that retro look of just two knobs, but also have all of the modern goodies. So there are a ton of menus to access by pushing, twisting, pulling the knobs.

I do not know the model of the radio and I am pretty sure it is not for sale anymore. So these problems may have been eliminated.
              1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1973 Harvest Yellow MGB V8

Comment

Thanks everyone, you gave me some good ideas. Gary the link was great and I like some of the designs there also. I'm handy with wood work so I'm sure I can put something togehter.

Mike

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	9F4C8659-FC98-4827-AC60-8B41156761A9.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	548334 Click image for larger version

Name:	A85AAED7-46AC-4B1F-9B37-EB07019B08BF.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	548333
                  This Kenwood has bluetooth, USB, Cd, Am/Fm, Spotify, Pandora, etc. Plus the colors can be set to suit. Rockford Fosgate speakers fit the kidney pads. All from Crutchfiled for very little money. Detachable faceplate and it syncs with a phone app too so you don’t lose your many customizable settings in the off season.

I enlarged my H section to fit a standard single DIN mount though if originality is your thing.
                  1974 TR-6 Logic Overdrive

Comment

I have a retrosound radio, speakers in the kidney pads and a pair of 6x9 speakers in padded boxes on the rear shelf. The 6x9s have a quick connect/disconnect on them so they are easy to pull out when/if I need additional storage space in the car.

Mine's 10 years old but this is close to what's in my car: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_068LBB...k-Buttons.html
                    Speakers for the kidney pads: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                    Rear enclosures: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...965s&_osacat=0
                    Don't recall where I got the actual 6x9 speakers but they are Kenwood model KFC-6965S

In general I'm happy with what's in there but to be honest I rarely actually turn it on. I tend to listen to the music the car makes
                    73 TR6
                    Dundee, IL
                    My TR6

Comment

I installed a Retrosound a few years ago, and agree with the previous comments that it's difficult to adjust anything once you're driving, due to the menu and use of old style knobs with multiple functions. Plus I don't drive the car often, so that gives me ample time to forgot what I re-learned on the last drive.

I disconnect the battery when park so that also loses the presets memory. Now I almost exclusively play from a USB drive, loaded with early 70's music.

I'm just using Kicker speakers in the kidney pads for now, eventually I'll also install the Miata seats with upgraded headrest speakers.

Comment

Retrosound here also. Sounds OK, but not for an audiophile . Kidney panel and rear deck speakers.

Have a battery cutoff switch, with memory wired around that. Really don't use presets, just bluetooth tunes and pandora occasionally.
                        Put the microphone for phone in ashtray....flip up for an incoming call.....works nice thru phone.
                        Attached Files
                        Bruce
                        1974 base TR6 Emerald Green "Emmy"
                        (with J-O/D added)

Comment

No radio, but for sound I installed a Kenwood bluetooth amp. I put a rare earth magnet behind the wired remote and one behind the center dash so that it's easy to store and use. Speakers are in the seat head rests. I don't use it all that much so I'm glad that it can be tucked away.
                          Paul / Bailey Island, ME
                          1975 / French Blue / CF36499U
                          Avis Studio

Comment

My TR6 came to me with this vintage Kraco cassette deck and a couple of radio shack speakers in home-made boxes screwed to the foot wells. I swapped speakers to a pair of 4" Pyles in new (home made) center tunnel kidney panels, and they sound thin and crappy to match the radio. The tape deck still works though, and I wired an aux-in port so I can connect my phone through the stereo, and that sounds a lot better than the radio signal. The rest of the car is loud enough that I rarely use it or feel the need to replace it, but I do like the look.

Name:	IMG_3850.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	548363
                            Bill Connell
                            1969 TR6 CC28790
                            TR6 project log
                            St. Paul MN

Comment

My '72 came with a horrendous-looking Panasonic head unit for which the DPO had hacked up the dash support, running through a pair of Alpine speakers on the parcel shelf attached by virtue of a few big wood screws driven through the parcel shelf carpet and into metal
                              I ultimately replaced the dash support and installed a more period-appropriate Retrosound unit - pretty basic, but my audio needs are equally basic - NPR, books on "tape", occasionally music. I installed an AUX input under the dash for my iPhone. The speakers comprise 4" or 5" dual-voice speakers (both channels running through each speaker) in the kidney pads and stereo headrest speakers (Miata seats). The front/rear fader control balances between the kidney pad speakers and the headrest speakers. The headrests provide the bulk of the sound and the stereo effect, the kidney pad speakers just "fill in" - I went with dual-voice speakers because there was no point IMO in attempting stereo imaging with knee-level speakers pointing in opposite directions in such a noisy background. The sound is adequate, but the listening conditions are hardly optimal, so it is what it is.

Name:	Radio4.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	548392Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	548393Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	548394Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio3.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	548395
                              Dave C
                              '72 Sapphire #CC82360UO
                              Chapel Hill NC

Comment

What are you using as a radio for you "6" for modern radio & speakers

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 40,033   Posts: 494,459   Members: 56,913   Active Members: 138
                              Welcome to our newest member, julian30.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

• Sep 10
                                01:00 AM | The annual British Car Day in Cincinnati is September 11th.

Live music, food, and beer trucks

Two new classes added, British...
                              • No more items.
                              Working...
                              X