Battery Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Box

Fabbed a new battery box for the 250 out of 20 ga. sheet metal. I still need to weld it in and then it will be a permanent part of the boot. This is for a Odyssey AGM PC925 battery.
    Nope, not going for concours.

Click image for larger version  Name:	battery4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.02 MB ID:	533704

Click image for larger version  Name:	battery2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.90 MB ID:	533705

Click image for larger version  Name:	battery1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.95 MB ID:	533706
    I have some latches coming so the lid is loose for now

Click image for larger version  Name:	battery3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.64 MB ID:	533707
    The circuit breaker fits nicely but I haven't finalized it's location. It also serves as a quick disconnect.

Cheers,
    Wolf
    Last edited by Wolf76STL; 07-05-2020, 05:29 PM.
    76 TR6 CF58170UO (The Lady)
    72 TR6 CC80068UO (The Slut)
    68 TR250 CD4893L (retirement project)

Love that setup!
    1973 TR6 – BRG with beige interior, custom LED lighting
    Hardtop, OD, Rollbar, 15”Koenigs
    Bored, balanced and polished motor with PI cam, hi-comp head, triple DCOE's
    Header, custom exhaust, custom alternator, e-fan
    Lowered, poly suspension, Konis and rear anti roll-bar
    www.coventrysfinest.blogspot.com

Comment

Nice execution, Kevin. What size cables will you use?

Ed
      For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

• Wolf76STL
        Wolf76STL commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Ed. I have 0 Gauge (1/0 AWG) for the set up. Should be adequate AFAIK

I like it. I guess you can install that battery on its side huh?
      72 Pimento w/overdrive

Comment

• Wolf76STL
        Wolf76STL commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup. AGM's can do that fo sho

Great job Wolfman. You may wish to consider a little trick I did. I purchased a Battery Tender charger that came with 2 types of charging leads; one for post clip-on and the other for a stationary battery connection installation. Because my battery is hidden behind the boot passenger side trim panel and rarely seen, I installed the stationary lead option. The lead comes from the battery and ends unobtrusively in the trunk. The lead has a cap which protects the positive/negative terminals from exposure. This makes for easy access to connecting the Tender to maintain the battery during those long winter months keeping it fresh for spring time. Neat!

https://www.batterytender.com/Battery-TenderR-Plus

Be sure to look at the various photo connections.
      Last edited by TRick6; 07-06-2020, 09:06 AM.
      Best Therapy
      http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/AlbertGary.htm
      Zoom Zoom

Comment

• Wolf76STL
        Wolf76STL commented
        Editing a comment
        Great suggestion, Al. Thanks!

• TRick6
        TRick6 commented
        Editing a comment
        I am happy to share. As I read the posts responses I see there maybe future member battery charger connection applications.

I can’t believe you are ruining your car Kevin with all this non stock nonsense.

Cheers
      Tush
      81 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 81 Triumph TR8
      73 Triumph TR6 CF4874UO, 68 Triumph TR250 CD5228LO
      62 Triumph TR4 CT6716LO, 60 Triumph TR3A TS69891LO
      60 Triumph TR3A TS64870LO, 59 Triumph TR3A TS44836LO
      https://www.youtube.com/user/cheftush

Comment

• Wolf76STL
        Wolf76STL commented
        Editing a comment
        Well Chef, I'm just getting started. I have a few other mods that will enrage the "purists"

Look great, Kevin! Though I am curious as to why you located it there...is it part of that "clean" cable-free engine bay you are pursuing?
      Keith, Huntsville AL, 1971 CC66559U
      10.0:1 CR gasflowed head | Weber DCOEs | CP "150hp" Cam | Distibutor by Advanced | Lightened flywheel | Phoenix SS Exhaust System | HVDA 5-Speed | Good Parts R200B Diff and CV axles | Good Parts suspension and anti-roll bars | Good Parts Dual Brake Master Cylinder | Konig Rewinds | Boyd 15 gal tank | Miata Seats and Mr Mikes covers | Carl Visser dash | Mohair hood | Gas-strut bonnet and boot lift kits

Comment

• Wolf76STL
        Wolf76STL commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Keith, I was originally thinking of cutting the hole in the vertical part of the boot panel and pushing the battery out horizontally in the fender space (+/- 3 to 4 inches), but the more I thought about it, this seemed to be the best location. If it were in the fender space, I was worried that if someone leaned up against the fender, it could possibly leave a dimple in the fender from the corner of the box.

• A Brit in Bama
        A Brit in Bama commented
        Editing a comment
        I was more wondering about locating it in the boot, as opposed to the stock position under the bonnet.

• Wolf76STL
        Wolf76STL commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, that was part of my plan to "clean things up" under the bonnet. I also wanted to put the weight in a more desirable location.

Wolf76STL commented
      Today, 05:31 PM
      Hey Keith, I was originally thinking of cutting the hole in the vertical part of the boot panel and pushing the battery out horizontally in the fender space (+/- 3 to 4 inches), but the more I thought about it, this seemed to be the best location. If it were in the fender space, I was worried that if someone leaned up against the fender, it could possibly leave a dimple in the fender from the corner of the box.
      As something similar to this maybe? However I like your option and application.
      Last edited by TRick6; 07-06-2020, 05:45 PM.
      Best Therapy
      Zoom Zoom

Comment

• Wolf76STL
        Wolf76STL commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Al, Yes, your build was my inspiration, but I strayed a little on the final location. Cheers!

• TRick6
        TRick6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh Wolfman you flatter me. But isn't that what this is all about? To select a voyage, take on a task, to solve the how with a personal expression, and then share the adventure? Heck Kevin, your project is inspiring.

Some had asked about the final install, so here are some pics.

Click image for larger version  Name:	BattF1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.84 MB ID:	533840
      pig tail for the battery trickle charger

Click image for larger version  Name:	BattF2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.26 MB ID:	533839

Click image for larger version  Name:	BattF4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.03 MB ID:	533841
      circuit breaker on the left. Big black knob is for the hold down bracket.

I know that in regard to the overall project this seems like putting the cart before the horse, but it did involve some extensive body work and since I'm in the body tub phase, I wanted to make sure everything was going to be "plug & play" when the time comes.

Cheers,

Wolf
      Last edited by Wolf76STL; 07-10-2020, 05:43 PM.

Comment

• poolboy
        poolboy commented
        Editing a comment
        Dat's nice,cher

Looks great Kevin.

Cheers
      Tush
      81 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 81 Triumph TR8
      73 Triumph TR6 CF4874UO, 68 Triumph TR250 CD5228LO
      62 Triumph TR4 CT6716LO, 60 Triumph TR3A TS69891LO
      60 Triumph TR3A TS64870LO, 59 Triumph TR3A TS44836LO
      https://www.youtube.com/user/cheftush

Comment

Love the charger pigtail. Wish I'd done that.

Ed
        For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

I like the idea and execution. I am worried about a hold down bracket. You're putting one in I assume.

Did you do this because you are putting a turbo in the battery tray under the bonnet?

Can we see a pic of the underside?

Keep the updates coming and lots of pics.
          1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1959 Red TR3 (Wife's)

Comment

• Wolf76STL
            Wolf76STL commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Aaron. There is a hold down bracket installed. Heavy "L" shaped angle under the black knob. Blow up the third pic and you'll see.
            Sorry, no "turbo" plans, but I will post a underside pic later today. Cheers!

Here is a better pic of the hold down bracket and some from underneath
          I welded a short stud to the side of the box, then the black knob just screws on to hold the angle.

. Click image for larger version  Name:	BattHoldDn.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.64 MB ID:	533867

Click image for larger version  Name:	BattUnder1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.71 MB ID:	533868

Click image for larger version  Name:	BattUnder2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.11 MB ID:	533869

Cheers

Kevin
          Last edited by Wolf76STL; 07-12-2020, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Wow Kevin, that is bloody brilliant!
            Best Therapy
            Zoom Zoom

Comment

Great use of otherwise wasted dead space! Nice work!

Comment

Battery Box

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,986   Posts: 484,636   Members: 10,244   Active Members: 1,068
              Welcome to our newest member, Aliceanozy.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X