No announcement yet.

n12y vs. n9y champion spark plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Champion RN9YC, from #6 cylinder, new about 200 miles ago. Mixed city and 60 mph back road driving.

Greg

Comment

Looks fine, Greg. I wonder what gas mileage you're getting; on a stock engine in optimum tune (as yours seems to be ) I would expect 28-30 mpg highway without O/D, 32-34 with, and 24-26 mpg combined city/hwy.

Tom

Comment

That?s exactly what I get with the 4speed.

Greg

Comment

My 71 came with Champion RN12YCs' in it 5 years ago, and I have not bothered to change them. They run fine, don't seem to foul up appreciably in traffic, and colour of tips appears to be in the desired range.

However, due to some impending engine modifications, I was wondering about plug choices to suit. Came across this article on the NGK Website which I thought did a good job of explaining what are the considerations behind plug heat ranges.

Spark Plug Basics

FWIW - Based on what I have read, and advice from various respected sources, I plan on experimenting with a cooler plug
          Great article. Raises a thought in my mind. One of the points raised in the document is the issue of a bad ground. Does the anti-seize we put on the plugs interfere with the ground, or does anti-seize conduct electricity?
          1976 TR-6 BRG - CF57239U
          Carbs by Poolboy
          Rear Camber Kit, Rear Hubs by Goodparts
          Gear Reduction Starter by TSI
          Distributor by British Vacuum

Comment

If you are totally smearing the threads where there is no metal to metal contact, then worry about ground. Usually only the first couple of threads have a LIGHT coat of anti-seize on them.

Comment

The washer will conduct to ground if it?s not covered.

Greg

Comment

The anti-seize's I have either have coppper orr nickel in them, IIRC.
                '74 TR6 CF13007U aka "Mr. T"
                Custom Blue (Delft-Like) and New Tan (Formerly Mallard and New Tan)
                Points, Ballast Bypassed, Bosch Blue Coil, Moss Cobalt Wires, Champion RN12YC plugs.
                Peaks and tweaks, but the spirit of Original
                Redlines always.
                My wife is the Driver, I'm just the Mechanic....

Comment

n12y vs. n9y champion spark plugs

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,411   Posts: 489,282   Members: 14,548   Active Members: 616
                Welcome to our newest member, KazvosaBouth.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X