Air Conditioning Recs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Conditioning Recs?

Although I hate to do it, I just moved to Miami and need to put an AC in my 70 TR6 so I can actually use it without looking like I stepped out of a pool each time. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good system that doesn?t take up too much cabin space? How bad is the install process?

Thanks!

Ignacio

I saw a set up at a show recently where the blower and evaporator fit where the glovebox is. Obviously the glovebox was removed but the door was still there. There were a few small vents under the dash. Least intrusive set up I have seen. He also mounted the compressor on the alternator side of the engine so it wouldn?t interfere with a triple carb set up.
    SR
    73 TR6. HT/AC/OD
    86 930
    91 535i

Comment

Another,forum member and I are in the process of installing AC in our frame off restorations. There are a lot of variables to consider, but I will share our experience so far,
      I initially ordered the aftermarket kit from Nostalgic air in Florida. I substituted his MGB chrome bumper evaporator for the Tr6 one because I could make it fit under the dash with less modifications, but you do have to remove the heater to do that. The unit has a heater included, so no loss there except for originality.
      Nostalgic uses the basic original dealer add on components that he has duplicated and he did a very good job, however, I wanted to eliminate my fan and convert to a puller electric fan, so there was no room for the fan extension pulley using that set-up.
      Another forum member had a custom compressor bracket designed and installed that easily accomodates the puller fan and he was kind enough to put us in touch with the shop that built it for him. We have duplicated his design and put it on a CAD format for him so he can make it available to others, but since we have not finished the project, we have not returned it to him yet, waiting to assure it is perfect. We have changed his one belt with a tensioner design to a two belt system, but that was just a matter of preference.
      I am not going to use the original AC bracket and fan extension pulley that I will be selling to someone that wants to use the original fan set up instead of the electric puller.
      I will be documenting the finished product in this forum once it has been thoroughly tested, but I am very confident that this is going to work very well. I will caution you, though, that we elected to cut a small piece out of the firewall for the evaporator to fit nicely, which will look fine, but not original.
      I hope this helps and will document more as we get further along.
      Jim

Comment

Not an endorsement, but saw this one online. Break out the checkbook! Vintage Air is another aftermarket company used by many muscle car owners, but I think they just do domestic cars.

http://www.retroair.com/triumphairconditioning.html

Comment

Thanks all! Weirdly the retro air states that it only fits 72 and up, any idea why that would be the case?

Comment

BTW, I bought a combination condenser/receiver/pressure switch/relay//pusher fan unit from Nostalgic AC that is made to fit the TR6 in front of the radiator. Bolts right up to the two studs on the side of radiator.

Nostalgic is excellent about promptly and comprehensively answering questions via email.

I bought a generic Sanden compressor on eBay, and had hoses made to fit locally. As my car had the old dealer installed AC, I used the old blower/evaporator/plenum, as well as the York bracket to hang the Sanden with the existing double crank pulley.
            SR
            73 TR6. HT/AC/OD
            86 930
            91 535i

Comment

Thanks all! Weirdly the retro air states that it only fits 72 and up, any idea why that would be the case?
              Probably has to do with the fan belt size, early cars use a 3/8? belt, later ones went to a 1/2? wide belt.

One of the reasons I never had a problem getting a new belt between the engine and the cross brace. :laugh:
              ‘70 TR-6

Comment

I have used Vintage Air on another project a couple of years ago and was very pleased, however, when using their dimensions for all of their under dash evaporators, they will not fit without serious cutting and obvious spacing problems. That is why I chose the Nostalgic Air option and even then substituted their MG evaporator, which is not seen under the dash when installed.
                Yes, the Nostalgic kit does come with a pusher fan, but it is small (12?). I wanted to gain the horsepower by installing Rick Patton?s fan eliminator kit, which should more than make up for the extra power required for the ac compressor, which is a highly efficient Sanden unit.
                As far as the belt size is concerned, that is another reason I chose the two pulley system. The 1972 Tr6 had a dual pulley on the water pump and is the only model where the pulleys are about the same size. The pulley powered by the harmonic balancer (crankshaft) is 1/2? belt size, while the front pulley that used to power the smog pump is a 3/8?. You can buy the ?72 setup usually on eBay or from a parts source for around $40. I sent my water pump off to the Flying Dutchman to rebuild it with his rolls Royce solid bearing and he can put the dual pulley on at that time. Note that the later model Tr6 also had a 2nd pulley on the water pump, but the smog pump one is substantially smaller and throws off the geometry for pushing the alternator.
                With the high capacity bearing on the ?72 water pump, the front 3/8? pulley can easily power the alternator, which I purchased a Tuff Stuff 140 amp 12si model because it will generate 75 amps at 750 rpm?s and comes with the perfect 3/8? pulley and correct spacing. Basically a bolt on conversion using the same bracket that BobbyD used in his conversion.
                A word of caution though, I am putting the much stronger advanced auto wire harness (Dan. Master?s old company) which is going to be needed with all my electrical loads. Proper grounding with adequate wire size is a must.
                I started think

Comment

Air Conditioning Recs?

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,411   Posts: 489,282   Members: 14,549   Active Members: 617
                Welcome to our newest member, Savelobsmarf.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X